It had one damn job, but it put it in an RO file .I guess that's what a G-sensor does.

findingzzero

Reaction score
Country
United States
It took a dash cam guru, Harsh, to help me find it.This was my third dash cam and I've had it for more than 5 yrs. It's been working in the background w/o issue for all those years, such that I forgot it was there. Today, someone broadsided me in a round-a-bout and it took my wife to mention, 'don't you have a dash cam?' I pulled out the chip and just watched it. I have a clip just before and just after the accident..WTF? Then I checked the time stamps. There is a 13 minute gap between the 2 clips. There are other gaps. WTF, anybody???

Last edited:
Don't know what loop setting you're using to account for the 13 minutes gap but what it looks like is that the file at the time of impact and the one before were moved to the RO folder due the g-sensor trigger. It's done to prevent such files from getting overwritten by the camera's regular recording.

Dashcams love a steady touch / feel relationship, you should look at the memory card now and then so it don't feel neglected, and you have a feeling for what it like and can do for you.
When i read 5 years i was ready to type that this is a pretty long time for a dashcam not to mention the memory card, personally i only expect 3 years of service from the memory card, anything more are just a bonus to me.

As an RO file will i be able to email it to my insurance Co. Working on it right now.
I doubt you can email a dashcam video. The file is far too large, although that didn't stop my insurer asking me to email them a video once. In the end I sent them original files and shorter clips on a memory stick. I got the cost of that back too :)

Google allowed it as a link to its drive because it was too large to send as an attachment. And so it went. Welcome to the 21st Century. Cheers, Julian
It shows this woman at a yield before a roundabout while I'm driving thru it. She comes from my right and attempts to cross in front of me and takes out 2 doors on the passenger side of my Juke. I tht I was gonna flip. Bless u gravity.. The shadow of her nose against a white background shows she wasn't even looking my way.

Time to change the thread title ... using equally strong language but with words of praise...

Thats what i do for people i report to the cops, make a private UL to youtube so they can see whats about, and then i can give them the raw footage either transporting it to the station on a thumb drive, or put it on a DVD.

ir
Don't know what loop setting you're using to account for the 13 minutes gap but what it looks like is that the file at the time of impact and the one before were moved to the RO folder due the g-sensor trigger. It's done to prevent such files from getting overwritten by the camera's regular recording.
That's good to know. Most loops are 1.5 min long. There is another file in there showing me going off some missing pavement on a right turn. Air bag went off. Burned my wrist. No cosmetic damage. Frame repaired and air bg 5 large. I will look into loop settings.

Cheapest way to send a physical copy is to buy a cheap uSD card, tape it to a piece of paper, stuff it in an envelope and stick it in the mail. Much cheaper than trying to mail a DVD.

Indeed, but Denmark are small, and the town i live in actually have a police station.
Other than that a letter probably cost 2 X more to send here than in the states.
First time i did the DVD route
Second time i couldn't find my DVDs so i did the thumb drive, and to my amazement the cop just plugged it into his desktop,,,,, TBH i think i could have taken down the entire station if i wanted to.
The cops liked very much my footage as the driver left the scene after a short while,,,, after standing beside my car and talk with his friend ( i have side cameras too )

If you try and send the original 3 minute file then yes, at 13-17 mbps, I'm sure the video clips would be too large.. 300+mb.

But why can't you re-render it down to 4 or 6 mbps using x265 (HEVC) code and then mail it to them.... Providing you know how...

Or is just a straight forward transcode of the file, I. E. No editing at all, still considered tampering and thus not allowed?? Just curious!

If you try and send the original 3 minute file then yes, at 13-17 mbps, I'm sure the video clips would be too large.. 300+mb.

But why can't you re-render it down to 4 or 6 mbps using x265 (HEVC) code and then mail it to them.... Providing you know how...

Or is just a straight forward transcode of the file, I. E. No editing at all, still considered tampering and thus not allowed?? Just curious!
Given that they may want to read number plates for every potential witness, it is good for them to have the original, reducing the bitrate will reduce quality.
Although they may prefer to get a low detail version fast and let you look after the original in case it is needed later.

Back