ITB-100HD - 12 Mbps bitrate mod

codesplice said:
liujason said:
Another discovery - the mod is working overwriting the old files if it is powered all the time. However, once powered off, and power on, it will *beep beep beep*, complaining about the SD card. Only way to fix this at the time is to unplug the power, re-plug the power, wait for the ascending three beeps, and hold down the mic button for about 5 seconds to format the card.
So it seems the device complaint of the SD card problem only happens when the device is booted.

Not quite. Both times that I've received the SD error were in the middle of a drive. The first time, a power cycle got things going again and I didn't have to format the card. The second time, I just removed the card, deleted a few files via the computer, and when I plugged it back up it kept right on trucking. No errors since then.

I was exactly going to comment on that - I unplugged the device, removed the SD card, deleted just two avis from computer, plugged it back in, and it is working after boot. No complaint of the SD card...

I'm getting a larger card (32GB) today to give it another try.

So is anyone still working on a fix for the HD version?

I have an ITB-100HD and I'd like to do this mod. Is it safe to say that the mod is OK to do but when the SD card fills up I need to power it off and insert a new card? I'm thinking as long as I have two cards and can swap between them I should be fine. I'm thinking of picking up a 32GB card or two.

I like the higher quality with the 12Mbps.

Any advancement on this yet? Is anyone even working on it?

First of all. Awesome work!

I remember seeing in the firmware some code that does the file recycling. It was based 100% on the free space on the card, since a one minute video file was always close to the same size it looked for something like < 50MB. Once the bitrate was bumped up that comparison probably needs to be updated as well.

Did anyone look at that?

First of all. Awesome work!

I remember seeing in the firmware some code that does the file recycling. It was based 100% on the free space on the card, since a one minute video file was always close to the same size it looked for something like < 50MB. Once the bitrate was bumped up that comparison probably needs to be updated as well.

Did anyone look at that?
You may have to P.M. dashingthrusnow

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone and happy new year!

I've spent the last few days writing and testing a script to delete the oldest video file when the free disk space falls below 150 Mb. This seems to have fixed the beeping issue that I was having when the SD card became full.

I have uploaded the modded firmware here:
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/itb-100hd-v2-2-2-1fw-12mbps-adjustable-bitrate-mod-fix-mph-versions.4148/

Be sure to use a freshly formatted card, as my script builds an index.txt file as the video files are written, and uses that file to determine the oldest video. Also, my script will delete the oldest video files regardless of the event, parking and normal video recording ratios set by the PC Player software.

As an additional feature, I've also added the ability for the bitrate to be customized by creating a "bitrate.txt" file within the Setup folder, and typing the desired bitrate into the file eg 8000000 for 8Mbps, 10000000 for 10Mbps etc. You don't need to create the file if you just want to use the default 12mbps bitrate.

Enjoy and be sure to post about success or any problems you may have.

You made my day! Thank you. Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Thanks for the efforts of the people who have been working on this mod.
Look forward to see if the latest fix for the beeping works.
With this mod how long will the standard 8GB card (that comes with the camera) take to fill up? Driving time wise.

Thanks for the efforts of the people who have been working on this mod.
Look forward to see if the latest fix for the beeping works.
With this mod how long will the standard 8GB card (that comes with the camera) take to fill up? Driving time wise.

The videos are close to double the original filesize, so you can expect between 90 to 120 min for 1080p @ 12Mbps before the files start recycling. I'm running mine now at 1080p @ 14Mbps and I get just over 90 mins of footage.

Last edited:
Chai, is there any chance you could post up your 2.1 adjustable bitrate firmware w/ MPH read out?

I've spent the last few days writing and testing a script to delete the oldest video file when the free disk space falls below 150 Mb. This seems to have fixed the beeping issue that I was having when the SD card became full.

http://rapidshare.com/share/C9E5F6019B83D16140B12C43CC5E70BB

Be sure to use a freshly formatted card, as my script builds an index.txt file as the video files are written, and uses that file to determine the oldest video. Also, my script will delete the oldest video files regardless of the event, parking and normal video recording ratios set by the PC Player software.

As an additional feature, I've also added the ability for the bitrate to be customized by creating a "bitrate.txt" file within the Setup folder, and typing the desired bitrate into the file eg 8000000 for 8Mbps, 10000000 for 10Mbps etc. You don't need to create the file if you just want to use the default 12mbps bitrate.

Nice mod, Can it use on SP model?

You would need to apply the bitrate mod to the SP firmware. The MPH hack already exists for the SP though.

If I remember correctly the FW for the SP has much fewer symbols and is a bit harder to add stuff into.

I was pretty sure this mod was done using existing scrips though, so it might not be too difficult.

Chai, is there any chance you could post up your 2.1 adjustable bitrate firmware w/ MPH read out?

I have just made a MPH version of my fix using the av_server.out version from yakhack's firmware, I have uploaded it here:

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/itb-100hd-v2-2-2-1fw-12mbps-adjustable-bitrate-mod-fix-mph-versions.4148/

My fix is only for the non-SP 100hd model, you can however use the modded SP firmware that dashingthrusnow posted in the Itronics Firmware Thread (http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/itronics-firmware-thread.1565/).

You would need to apply the bitrate mod to the SP firmware. The MPH hack already exists for the SP though.

If I remember correctly the FW for the SP has much fewer symbols and is a bit harder to add stuff into.

I was pretty sure this mod was done using existing scrips though, so it might not be too difficult.

My fix is only for the non-SP 100hd model, you can however use the modded SP firmware that dashingthrusnow posted in the Itronics Firmware Thread (http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/itronics-firmware-thread.1565/).

Thank you, Guys

BTW I don't have ITB-100 SP yet, Just planing to buy and saw this thread make ITB-100 SP look awesome.

http://rapidshare.com/share/C9E5F6019B83D16140B12C43CC5E70BB

Any feedback on this? How is the long term use of it, anyone had anymore beeping. Are there any glitches on it? I have modded mine but drive my car very rarely and would like to know if there is any long term issues with the mod.
Feed back from a few different users would be appreciated.

Back