ITB-100HD - GPS data extraction

NicholasOakenscowl

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Hey all,

I've got a bunch of files from an ITB-100HD, both .avi and .dat. Apparently the iTronics player software can show the GPS tracks, and I would like to extract this GPS metadata, preferably to gpx format. Is the data held in the .avi file (as this is apparently technically possible) or in the .dat files? Is extraction/conversion possible?

I'd forgotten all about this, but noticed I still had the files lying around, so I thought I'd have another look. Parsed the evt/pmr/rec files with the C program here (there's a pre-compiled file in the source package).

Most (~95%) of each file is accelerometer data, for which I had no use, while the GPS data portion begins at a header line "n T lat long". With the help of Stack Overflow, I deleted all the accelerometer data from each file (basically deleted all lines until the header line):
Code:
# Remove accelerometer data from files
$path = "folderpathgoeshere"
Get-ChildItem $path -Filter *.txt | % {
    $file = $_.Name
    $content = Get-Content $file
    $content = $content.Where({ $_ -like "*long*" }, 'SkipUntil')
    $content | Set-Content $file -force
}

I then merged all the files together, again with help from Stack Overflow, like so:
Code:
# Merge files with filenames prepended to each line
$path = "folderpathgoeshere"
$out  = "folderpathgoeshere\gps.txt"
Get-ChildItem $path -Filter *.txt | % {
    $file = $_.Name
    Get-Content $_.FullName | % {
        "${file}: $_" | Out-File -Append $out
    }
}

I'm lazy, so I just loaded the resulting file to Excel for a look. Timestamps are UNIX, converted (Stack Overflow) to basic ISO 8601. There was a slight error, but I checked the timestamp on the file names, calculated the difference, and added that to each timestamp.

Back