ITB-100HD weird video colors

dfarfan

Reaction score
Country
Chile
Dash Cam
ITB-100HD
Hi everyone,

I have an Itronics ITB-100HD since january 2013. A week ago, some videos show weird colors. Here is a sample:

What could it be?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look's fine to me. Where do you live though, that might be key to your question :)

Milamber said:
Look's fine to me. Where do you live though, that might be key to your question :)

I think he lives in Paradise! The place where we all come when we are good :lol:
For real; What is the average temperature in your car? I think that your hardware components are affected by the heat. Maybe you can do a hard reset...

I'd put it down to moisture and heat.

Seems like a major problem. Perhaps the sensor being damaged due to heat. Does it always record like that now?

Hi,

I finally disassembled the damn thing, detached and reattached the sensor, and the problem dissapeared.

Maybe the heat of summer caused some kind of disconnection of the sensor pins, or some humidity of the morning winshield condensation leaked into the unit, but I'm inclined for the first option.

Thank you very much.

Hi again,

The camera still records weird colors. Please see attached video. The recording is going fine until the colors go mad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the camera perform ok from a cold start, and only producing this effect after it's been on for a while?

When I turn ignition on, the camera start recording normally. The effect comes randomly, some seconds to some minutes from a cold start. And stops randomly. Some days the effect doesn't show at all.

I've changed from 1080p to 720p, changed brigthness settings, and the problem persists. Also changed SD card, to be sure.

dfarfan said:
When I turn ignition on, the camera start recording normally. The effect comes randomly, some seconds to some minutes from a cold start. And stops randomly. Some days the effect doesn't show at all.

I've changed from 1080p to 720p, changed brigthness settings, and the problem persists. Also changed SD card, to be sure.

can't see it being anything other than a hardware problem

Yes, I concur with jokiin.
I was angling at a temp/heat issue.
This camera generates a considerable amount of heat, and as a result of expansion and
contraction at board level, I would first suspect failed solder joint/s.
As you have already disassembled the unit before, can you inspect under a good magnifier any suspect connections, and resolder?

Filby, the effect also show at 7.40 AM, at a temperature ranging 11–14ºC, the camera being not used all night, can it heat enough in such a short time?

Anyway, as I don't want to own a psychedelic camera, I'm going to follow your advice and try to detect failed solder joints.

Can you operate the camera with the cover off? If so, touch the internals every few seconds to see if they are very hot.
How hot does your camera get? Warm is normal but hot is not (shouldn't be).
I think the chance of you being able to spot a soldering issue is extremely slim. The chance of you being able to fix a soldering issue without causing collateral damage is even slimmer.

Hi All,

Iv had my Itronics 100HD since June 2012 and I think it is starting to mess up. When it turns on, the recording seems fine, but give it 5-10 min the video starts to record a tint of pink and sometimes green as if a film was placed over the lens. It may have been caused by overheating or just defective hardware overtime. The lens I find gets REALLY hot after a duration of recording so maybe that was the root cause. I checked if it was heating issue by removing the back cover to expose the components and also the metal covers on the front which i didnt understand why they were there in the first place (shielding maybe). The TI CPU don't seem too hot to the touch but the recording still reacts the same way. I will post some videos when I get them uploaded.

You should get your camera to rehab. It looks like it just took acid. /s

But why not send it in? You might've gotten a defective unit.

Back