It's 2020. I want a 4K60FPS dashcam!

Well you cant have that this year, but maybe next year if you dont mind being a very early adapter.
Also at the moment 4K sensors are very fine in the daytime, but their night time performance are like 5 year old 1080p cameras, so usable but not great by any means.

Well you cant have that this year, but maybe next year if you dont mind being a very early adapter.
Also at the moment 4K sensors are very fine in the daytime, but their night time performance are like 5 year old 1080p cameras, so usable but not great by any means.

I respectfully disagree. I swear my Viofo A129 Pro (when it was operational) had way better night time footage than the other resolutions. I should know, I only drive at night and my footage was more than good enough for court cases.

There is no need for 60fps in a dashcam, so I doubt that any manufacturer is going to fit a 4K 60fps capable processor this year, next year, or even in the next 5 years.

2K 60fps is already possible, your Viofo A129 Pro could do that.

Faster sensors so that you can have 1/60th second exposures at night instead of 1/30th second motion blur is also possible, and the next step in the competition for the best 4K dashcam image quality, so probably isn't far away, but right now the Viofo A129 Pro is still the best...

i thought the blackvue did one
just checked and the only do a Full HD one at 60 fps
im sure they will bring out one on the next release when ever it comes out

There is no need for 60fps in a dashcam, so I doubt that any manufacturer is going to fit a 4K 60fps capable processor this year, next year, or even in the next 5 years.

2K 60fps is already possible, your Viofo A129 Pro could do that.

Faster sensors so that you can have 1/60th second exposures at night instead of 1/30th second motion blur is also possible, and the next step in the competition for the best 4K dashcam image quality, so probably isn't far away, but right now the Viofo A129 Pro is still the best...

I just love the fluidity of 60fps and like I say, the night footage from 4K was outstanding (although I do see here that is not always the case).
It's going to happen Nigel, and it's going to happen soon! :p

As Nigel also touch up upon, in the grand perspective there are no need for 60 FPS, other than it give you the option to slow down a event bu 50% and still have nice smooth playback.
Some years ago i tested 60 VS 30 FPS on 2 similar cameras, and in all cases if the 60 FPS camera got a plate capture at speed so did the 30 FPS camera, but you could maybe argue that the 60 FPS camera will then give you 2 X more chances of that capture.
And that is also true, but in my weeks of testing the 2 cameras against each other in different lightning conditions i found no valid reason to run 60 FPS, and at the time i was pretty sure 60 FPS would be the holy grail of dashcams, but i was wrong.
Resolution and more of it i do think are the future, but the current 4K dashcams are hovering around what i would consider the very low end of the bitrate spectrum, but i also feel the same about 1080p cameras where 20 mbit are not bad but i would like to see a bit more, maybe 26 or 28 mbit.

I have a dji Osmo Action camera i have used to capture 30 - 30 minute drives using 4K/60, and it have not tapped out due to thermals in my small cheap car with no aircon, but i think maybe if i did the same tomorrow where 30 deg C are forcast it might be a different story, at least the OA camera get almighty hot, not least the metal parst around the lens and the "heat sink" below the lens, those you do not want touching sensitive thin skin after a recording session even if it is just 10 - 15 minutes.

Last edited:
you have to remember dashcams are event recorders, so no reason to incorporate features for a more cinematic experience.
If you want smooth good looking footage from a car you need to look at cameras with a more narrow FOV so you dont have A pillars and dashboard in the frame, and then for H.264 recorders you need bitrates up around 100 mbit so the camera dont choke on information if you drive thru a place with lot of details for the camera to resolve.

My dji do 100 mbit, other action cameras i think can do a bit more than that, but i doubt we will ever see a dash camera hit those numbers with factory firmwares.

I am in my raging mind brainstorming if HDR will be a useful thing in dashcams, but i dont think so the ways it is deployed at the moment in different cameras.

I just love the fluidity of 60fps
Yes, for movie making you want 60fps, but few people buy dashcams for movie making, and 4K 60fps action cameras are normally dreadful at night!

and like I say, the night footage from 4K was outstanding
It is pretty good, and beats everything else available at the moment, but has too much motion blur at times, so plenty of room for improvement.
It's going to happen Nigel, and it's going to happen soon! :p
I hope so, but I'm not going to bet on it! It is certainly possible if the manufacturers want to make the effort.

My dji do 100 mbit, other action cameras i think can do a bit more than that, but i doubt we will ever see a dash camera hit those numbers with factory firmwares.

I am in my raging mind brainstorming if HDR will be a useful thing in dashcams, but i dont think so the ways it is deployed at the moment in different cameras.
I've had 80Mb/s from the A129 Pro, but really it doesn't need that much. I think some of the action cameras do because their compression is not as good, and in the case of DJI don't use the full colour range so can be a bit blocky even with 100Mb/s, overall the Viofos do better with less bitrate than GoPro and DJI.

HDR is useful, but are you talking about current dashcam HDR with multiple exposures combined into 1, or HDR as in TVs which is a totally different feature?

The multi-exposure HDR has never yet worked well for dashcams, but maybe one day, when it is built into the sensors, which may not be far away now...

With current sensors, HDR video is not going to give much improvement, but it is the sensible next step to avoid plates becoming unreadable when they are either in deep shadow or headlight glare. With the next generation of sensors we will need HDR video to store the detail.

Please don't state it so peremptorily. I've got a couple of dashcams with sensor HDR working like it shoud be.
With production firmware?
I did include the word "yet", maybe I'm out of date?

Hehe remind me of when we was kids, we also had the security guys on our ass though it was rare we was that stupid to get their attention, but they never got close as we more or less never was on the ground, and they rarely joined us on the roofs.
And later on after i quit that BS a couple of the guys broke into the security firm in broad daylight when they was open, and we also stolen from companies during the working hours, once such place where that was easy was the local foundry.
Hell we have even ripped off the military in daylight, though that did not land us much aside for some fuse and detonators, and they probably never knew what hit them.
Okay it should also say that back then their incompetence was beyond bad, as in leaving the stuff out unlocked and in a building they pretty much just left open as the local barracks was shut down.

We was not like the guys that at gunpoint robbed a barracs of a van full of assault rifles a few years ago, but that just prove Danish military are still not quite on the ball as they should be, its also ripe with scandals and fraud according to newspapers these days.

Snot faced punks we was :oops:

you could argue with out going politician with the truth, that parkour stuff, well we did that in the late 70ties.

My friend, he once stole a set of handcuffs ( with keys ) on the local police station right under a cops nose and with his father standing beside him ( he was that young ) :) and he still have them.

I'll reply properly once I knock off, but I definitely use my camera for more than event recording :)
In that situation the motion blur isn't much of an issue, most of the image is static and the movement isn't fast, and you do want to be able to recognise the faces so 4K is needed.

So yes, the A129 Pro is a good choice, and no 60fps camera is going to be as good at night.

When might dashcams incorporate H.265 encoding? For the same bitrates and SD cards we could record much better quality.

When might dashcams incorporate H.265 encoding? For the same bitrates and SD cards we could record much better quality.
Some already have H265, including the Viofo A129 Pro.

It doesn't actually make much difference to the bitrates required for fast moving dashcam video, and since dashcams use fixed bitrates rather than variable bitrates, they have to provide enough bitrate for the fast moving stuff all the time, so no significant saving at any time. Using variable bitrates depending on the complexity of the scene and amount of movements could save a lot of space, but none seem to have managed to do that in a significant way yet, except for Viofo making use of low bitrate parking mode, where high bitrates are not required because there is rarely much movement when you are parked.

Sometimes I think people go a little "specification crazy" like computer hobbyists did back in the early 80's. 30fps is good enough for the limitations of the human eye, in fact most movies display at only 24fps. Going for 60fps may look cool on the spec sheet, and possibly even give one bragging rights if that is what they are looking for, but in a cost to benefit analysis it seems like a waste of money for the equipment and required higher grade SD cards. Is it worth that much extra money to essentially be a beta tester for a company to buy their camera that "may" have a miniscule chance of catching something that an established unit "might possibly miss"?

Indeed to 30 FPS, if you want more, you are probably into cinematic filming, and then you should not use a dashcam.

You can move a big pile of dirt with a rake, but using a shovel are much better,,,,,,,, IE there is a right tool for everything.
Or ! you can shoot a sparrow with a M777 but you are much better off using a air rifle.

Back