It's 2020. I want a 4K60FPS dashcam!

The FPS rate sets an upper limit on exposure time possibilities ;) 60FPS may be useful in some situations, but for what most people want their dashcams to do it isn't going to give you the results you'd expect :( What we need is enough AI for our cam to make every adjustment needed to cover every driving situation we encounter automatically with the clearest, sharpest video and stills being the goal. You'll not be seeing that happen with the current SOC approach dashcams and action cams utilize. To get that level of performance would price a cam into a range where almost nobody could afford one :cry:

So yes, let's dream of and consider things which might be better, but let's also be realistic in understanding that dashcams are essentially cheap consumer-grade video cams that are very limited in what they can give us.

Phil

I would like to get HDR in dahscams as i think it would make for better looking footage ( in the daytime ) but in regard to crash documentation ( who was at fault / who have to pay ) that will have absolutely now say.
I would also like super high bitrates, but i also know to get that i will have to put my action camera on the window.

I know people are used to get many functions in 1 devise, like on a phone can do so much today, you can record movies on your Dslr and what not, dashcams can also give you some of that, or at least some brands try that.
But to me a dashcam are just a event recorder, and all i really need it to do is to be able to document that i did nothing wrong, then it is up to my insurance and maybe police to figure out who then did what for this mess to happen, and here i hope my dashcam will also be of some help, but i dont expect it to.

Back