It's March 2016 and I've just purchased a mini 801..........

SaintEd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
H folks

I'm new on this forum. It's March 2016 and I've just purchased, what appears to be, a mini 801..........

Yes, I'm now the owner of a dash cam. It all seems to work OK but I have a couple of questions and I'd be grateful if someone would help me through this.

The battery charge seems very low and doesn't last long - can I change it and what am I looking for in a new battery, where from too?

It gets quite hot. Can it be easily taken apart and extra holes drilled into the casing?

On the plus side, the video during playback is very sharp. The computer software runs OK but the loops don't seamlessly run one after another. I could edit it afterwards but that's not the point.

I would appreciate comments.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tony

there's some tutorials here on changing the battery in other 080x models, it's much the same for any of them

you are not supposed to use it as a portable device. the built-in battery is only meant for a few minutes of use to check out videos and/or allow graceful shut down of the device without corrupting the SD card when disconnected.

think about how long your phone battery will last with GPS on and constantly encoding and writing videos to SD card... there's no point replacing its battery.

Reactions: Mtz
you are not supposed to use it as a portable device. the built-in battery is only meant for a few minutes of use to check out videos and/or allow graceful shut down of the device without corrupting the SD card when disconnected.

think about how long your phone battery will last with GPS on and constantly encoding and writing videos to SD card... there's no point replacing its battery.

That makes sense. Originally, I thought the battery was intended to last longer so I was assuming that, because the model is relatively 'old', the battery must be past its useful life time. However, I have run the battery down a few times since purchase and it seems fairly happy now, holding a charge for quite a bit longer.

If I may, whilst you have been good enough to reply, I have a couple more questions.

It appears a few people have taken theirs apart and drill holes in the case in order to let heat out. I'm considering doing this too but I have not yet found a thread on dismantling it. A suggestion for a link would be appreciated.

I note that the computer software that comes with mine showing the rolling image and GPS position does not show seamless video. It runs a 1 minute loop, stops and then waits for the next loop to load. Is there a setting somewhere that should run the video more smoothly/less disjointed?

Tony

try Registrator Viewer for playback, link in my signature

0801 doesn't get particularly hot, I wouldn't worry about drilling holes in it

That makes sense. Originally, I thought the battery was intended to last longer so I was assuming that, because the model is relatively 'old', the battery must be past its useful life time. However, I have run the battery down a few times since purchase and it seems fairly happy now, holding a charge for quite a bit longer.

If I may, whilst you have been good enough to reply, I have a couple more questions.

It appears a few people have taken theirs apart and drill holes in the case in order to let heat out. I'm considering doing this too but I have not yet found a thread on dismantling it. A suggestion for a link would be appreciated.

I note that the computer software that comes with mine showing the rolling image and GPS position does not show seamless video. It runs a 1 minute loop, stops and then waits for the next loop to load. Is there a setting somewhere that should run the video more smoothly/less disjointed?

Tony

Hi Tony,

+1 for Registrator Viewer. Although its website is down at the moment, you can find the download elsewhere I'm sure. It's very small. Or I can send it to you if you are not sure about the unofficial download links.

As for the vent-holes, I think it's unnecessary.... They work more as a psychological comfort for human users... I've done 12hrs non-stop drive in the summer FIVE time with this cam and never had an issue. Having said that, I never felt its temperature during recording. Based on my experience with electronics & components, they can normally tolerate rather high temperature like over 100-200C. What human skin feel "burning hot" is normally 50-80C, and the microprocessors can normally sustain up to 90-100C and remain functional without problem.

On the other hand, my only concern is about the safety of li-po batteries in high temperature. e.g. the inside of a car can be very very hot when left in direct sunlight for some time. But so far I've never had a self-exploded battery from sat-nav or dash cam that was left in my car... touch wood :)

Hi

Thanks, that's quite reassuring.

I have fitted a piece of black card to the inside of the wind screen above the camera - partly to keep direct sunlight off the unit from outside, but also to provide a cover to make it a little less obvious from the outside.

I have a long run coming up in a week or so - this will be a good test of the unit.

I have just had a look for the Registration Viewer software. I downloaded it but the one I have will need to be paid for - eventually (if I can workout how to use it first). If you can point me somewhere else, I would be grateful once more.

Thank you for your help, it's much appreciated.

Regards

Tony

Hi.

EXCELLENT ! ! ! Can a desktop icon be created for this?

Thank you.

Tony

Last edited:
Hi.

EXCELLENT ! ! ! Can a desktop icon be created for this?

Thank you.

Tony

I'm sure you can create a shortcut to the tiny program. I think some people keep a copy of it in the cam's sd card for convenience.

Hi

I've done that, simpler than I thought. Interestingly, it's now locked up completely whilst showing a playback loop. Is there a hard reset or should I just wait for the battery to flatten?

Tony

Hi

I've done that, simpler than I thought. Interestingly, it's now locked up completely whilst showing a playback loop. Is there a hard reset or should I just wait for the battery to flatten?

Tony

You mean the dash cam itself is locked up by placing the video viewer in the SD card? I'm not sure about the reset button. If I didn't remember wrong, by holding down the power button can force the cam to turn off.

I tried holding the power button down but, until just now, I didn't hold it down for long enough.

It's off now. Thanks for being there. :)

The viewer programme is superb.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Arium Mini 0801 7
Back