JC 100 v Junsun s590

Fairynuff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware Q800 Pro
I am trying to compare the two below cams. What should I see that will steer me towards or away from them?

JC100 Full HD Dual Camera Car

Junsun S590 Full HD Dashcam,Car

best to provide links when asking about no name cameras as most won't have any idea what you're looking at, also worth mentioning what it is that made you choose these as you may get offered some alternatives to think about

I hope you (who know so much) will have a little patience with me (who knows so little (on this topic)).

I have time and the interest to make choices. I know from 10 years with my current cam that it is not good enough to read number plates and I want a cam that will (I presume that means higher resolution). I have formed the view that 4k is top spec, I wondered whether something between 4k and 1080p would fit the bill. One of the above cams was advertised by a seller as:
Front Camara: 2880x2160P @ 24f, 2560x1440P @ 30f, 1920x1080P @ 60f and Rear Camera resolutions: 1920 * 1080P @ 30fps

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Jun...fps-ADAS-Dvr-with-1080P-Sony/32932974025.html

I looked on their (Junsun) web site for this camera found it or something similar but specing it as 1080p (see below link).

http://junsun-china.com/junsun-wifi...rator-recorder-app-manipulation-p00050p1.html
I have emailed them and await their reply.

All that said perhaps as a starting point I should identify my minimum resolution which I presume should be something higher than 1080p.
I also presume that the higher the xxxxp number the more memory it eats up and thus will need a bigger card.

Junsun is a Chinese domestic market brand, there's likely to be little chance of after sales support outside of China, firmware updates are unlikely to happen either so however it works is unlikely to change, the China market products are not really tailored to western market needs or expectations, any purchase is going to be a gamble, also that camera is not 4k, in dual channel mode it will be 2 x 1080p30 max

I ordered the Junsun S590 WIFI + GPS dual. I will be posting a review when I receive it

any updates on this ?
I've also ran into the S590 - and the HW-specs sound quite impressive (more or less on par with the Viofo-A129).

so how good/bad is the software/firmware/support ?
OF COURSE - the most interesting part would be to see/compare videos to a Viofo-A119v3 or A129 ;-)

I ordered the Junsun S590 WIFI + GPS dual. I will be posting a review when I receive it
Any update? I just bought the same one but without WIFI and I'm struggling a bit with the very basic instructions that are included. I doesn't seem to be auto-record which is a bummer, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Any update? I just bought the same one but without WIFI and I'm struggling a bit with the very basic instructions that are included. I doesn't seem to be auto-record which is a bummer, unless I'm doing something wrong.
The merchant on ebay was a scammer. So I didn't receive the cam and ebay refunded me

I got the Vantrue S1 which is identical to the Junsun S590.
You can find my video review of it on this link: Vantrue S1 review

One should be careful when making such statements, as there's often important differences which may not be readily apparent. If two cams are identical they will usually have the same firmware version listed in the menu, perhaps with the better model being slightly updated ;) If the listed firmware versions are entirely different they will only appear identical but something inside will be different (which is usually cheaper components).

Negotiating the dashcam market is like walking through a minefield, and not often do you find one which actually meets it's listed specs. If you're trying to save money you can easily end up with a lesser cam than you thought you were getting :cry: Either accept those risks or stay with manufacturers whose products are well-known and widely approved of by their owners and users :cool:

Phil

You can find my video review of it on this link: Vantrue S1 review

It looks identical, It has identical declared features, but it has completely different firmware.
In Junsun S590 you can't record speed and geo-location as timestamp on video. It is recorded as data, but to see them, you have to use dedicated software (like Replay from NextBase - than you see all data and recorded track on the map).
You can't use Vantrue software to replay your Junsun recordings. Actually, you can but without recorded GPS track. Apart of that limitation, player is very slow in loading files, but maybe its not caused by Junsun videos.
Finally, you can not update Junsun with Vantrue firmware, or maybe you can, but the way how to do it is different from VanTrue firmware update manual.

For those who want to know some more about Junsun S590 than only what is quality of image on both front and rear cameras:

For first, GPS receiver in Junsun S590 is worse than in most of modern mobile phones (I guess there is no GLONAS nor GALILEO support), but its good enough to fix position. Unfortunately I found that my windscreen is blocking signal and in result I have problems with fixing position. Weakness of receiver/antenna is just partially responsible for my problems (satnavs works and windscreen is no problem for them).
Luckily, I discovered that I can get goof signal if I will fit camera somewhere on black painted area on top of windscreen (behind and around rear mirror). Tested this whole day and signal is so strong that location is fixed in few seconds, and accuracy is really way better than before.

On adverts you can read that there is dedicated app for iOS and Android. Nobody say that this app is really bad. Good news. There is no need to use any app but internet browser. After WiFi connection with camera is established - just open chrome, or whatever you prefer and in address bar type in: http://192.168.1.254
In result you will see very simple access to SD card directory. You can download video files from there (there is also option to upload). Speed of download is not impressive - 450MB file (1080/30fps - 5 minutes clip) download in approx 7 minutes.
Another feature of WiFi and mobile application is live view from the camera. We can avoid using dedicated app with another app - like "VLC Player" (also on PC). When connected to camera, just open stream location with VLC; rtsp://192.168.1.254:554/ You will get nice stream.
All this can be done on any device, on any operating system - not only iOS or Android, so this tips should be usable for all trackers that most often are carrying laptops in their cabins.

Very important thing is that buttons of camera are very noisy (I noticed that also on Vantrue videos) - I silenced them with strips of sticky foam - just stuck measured strips in the gap between buttons and body edge. Its not perfect solution, but its the best what could do without opening the case (don't want to void guarantee).

I don't know how works ADAS in VanTrue, but in Junsun its useless. I know there are warnings on the screen, but its not safe to look on the screen when driving. So only way to make ADAS usable is to find way to switch sound warnings on.

I mentioned this when the T3 emerged onto the scene. The Junsun predates the T3 by quite awhile.

Phil

Yeah it's probably a common manufacturer making different specifications. But for below US$100 the most common one is OV4689 front, IMX323 rear, NT96663 SoC. It also seems to be bundled with 2-wire hardwire power kit. I'm curious if an HK3ACC would work for auto parking mode switching, just like how Zenfox will :unsure:

PS: Also of note, the front cam drops to FHD only when rear cam is connected. This is to manage heat output, I assume. Maybe if Zenfox allows 3xFHD recording, or even 2xFHD + interior 720p modes, it could substantially reduce its heat profile? :unsure:

Last edited:
Looks like nobody has posted any review or feedback on the Junsun S590 here. Either buyers have it working to expectations and never came in here looking for help, or nobody actually used one.

Yeah it's probably a common manufacturer making different specifications. But for below US$100 the most common one is OV4689 front, IMX323 rear, NT96663 SoC. It also seems to be bundled with 2-wire hardwire power kit. I'm curious if an HK3ACC would work for auto parking mode switching, just like how Zenfox will :unsure:

PS: Also of note, the front cam drops to FHD only when rear cam is connected. This is to manage heat output, I assume. Maybe if Zenfox allows 3xFHD recording, or even 2xFHD + interior 720p modes, it could substantially reduce its heat profile? :unsure:

1. I ran the HK3 with the Zenfox. It was compatible.
2. The interior camera drops with heat. If it gets hot enough, all cameras shut down, and you're left with beeping.

The camera generally works "OK" in a car because you either have the windows down or ac running on a hot day. Forget parking mode. The unit will simply overheat on a hot day and cease recording.

Back