JooVuu X Camera

JooVuu

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I can finally announce that JooVuu will be entering the camera market. We have been sitting around selling other cameras always thinking we could do better and well we finally get a chance to prove this. After months of hardware, design, and feature research we finally believe we have come up with a design that hits the requirements of the car camera community. This camera will be UK designed, verified by a consultant Mehdi who was the leader/head of National Geographic’s Remote Imaging Department. We have two things in mind for this camera and it is reliability, and our customers. Everything we have is geared towards these two aspects. Here’s a quick run down of the camera. I’ve attached a few images, but please have a look on our website www.x.joovuu.com for more information etc.

Case dimensions in mm: 60(L)x42(W)x18(H.) including lens : 72(L)x42(W)x18(L)

www.x.joovuu.com for more pictures and information. At the bottom of the page, you can enter your email for the chance to become a beta tester and to receive updates.

Check out our blog at www.x.joovuu.com/blog for updates and behind the scene stuff.

Hardware
  • Ambarella A7LA75
    • 2560x1080P @30FPS
    • 2304x1296P @30FPS
    • 1920x1080P @60FPS
    • 1920x1080P @45FPS
    • 1920x1080P @30FPS
    • 1280x720P @120FPS
    • 1280x720P @60FPS
    • 1280x720P@ 30FPS
  • 6G Lens F2
  • 155 degree lens
  • OVI Sensor
  • G-Sensor
  • Microphone
  • Micro USB
  • Micro HDMI
  • Button feedback
  • 128gb microSD support
  • .H264 codec - .MOV format
  • Manual button for video file lock
  • -10c to +50c Working Temperature
  • With 1/4inch tripod thread in the bottom
  • GPS optional (to be released at a later date)
  • Super Capacitor (battery can be installed instead)
Firmware Main Features
  • 3 Customer Programmable Modes

A mode can also be time specific, where you can program a mode to become active at a certain time. This function allows you to get the best possible recording quality without having to stop your recording or to sacrifice quality.

• Optional Bitrates

We provide 5 bitrates for customer to choose from:
    • 30mb/s (TBC)
    • 22mb/s (TBC)
      18mb/s
    • 15mb/s
    • 12mb/s
    • 9mb/s
  • Electronic Image Stabilization
  • DEWERP Technology - Anti-Fisheye on wide angle shots
  • Field of View Selections
    • 155, 140, 125, 110, 90 & 60 (to be confirmed) degree choice
  • Night time detection
    The camera detects it is dark and increases exposure in decreases framerate to let more light in to get better video quality
  • iOS and Android App
    • Can configure the camera through the app on the go (all parameters)
    • Access ‘live view’ (see what the camera sees)
    • Download videos on your device
    • Stream and record
    • Live view and record
  • PC Program
    • A program for PC to be able to configure your camera (all parameters)
  • White balance & Exposure settings
    • Pre-set levels but can also be altered by the customer
  • G-Sensor information
    • Velocity, trajectory etc., direction heading etc.
Firmware Standard Features
  • Auto-record with power on
  • 180 Degree Lens rotation (also known as flipped image)
  • Loop recording
  • Clip recording (1min, 3min, 5min, 10min, continuous)
  • Seamless loop recording
  • Motion detection (choose sensitivity and how long to record)
  • LDWS & FDWS
  • HDR & WDR
  • HDMI out
  • G-Sensor (auto lock function will be enabled by default). Different sensitivities:
    • High, medium, low, off.
  • Language: English (more to be added)
  • Date/time stamp
  • Speed stamp (KPH or MPH)
  • JPEG photos
  • Burst Photo Mode – take 10 photos per second.
  • Time-lapse (1s,2,3,5,10,20,30,60s, customer specified amount of time)
  • Recording LED (different colored lights for different modes etc)
  • Webcam mode
  • Photo mode (different picture qualities and sizes can be chosen)
  • Power on - Delay and power off delay
  • Power on - Mode default
  • Recording indicator
  • Artificial light frequency
  • Format card function
  • Time date set up
  • Time updates by itself
As you can see from the design, this camera does not have an LCD however, we wanted to create a camera that was incredibly small, discreet, and powerful and therefore felt like sacrificing an LCD for a connected camera was worth the sacrifice. We have some pretty ingenious and unique ways of dealing with heat problems (this has what has forced us to delay the announcement by about 1 month) so please give us some feedback on the design.

This is our FIRST ever camera project and as such we may have missed some information off, please do not be shy and ask us for any extra information, we will provide it where we can. Please be constructive in feedback rather than just ‘this is crap’. We have spent countless hours on this and have not really slept. I studied Political Science at university and as such I have had to research and teach myself all about electronic engineering, heat problems, and PCB design.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

PS Don't forget to check out www.x.joovuu.com

We'll be adding our blog soon, and product videos in time.

THE ETA for the camera is: Summer 2015. Pricing to be confirmed soon.

Attachments

• White - Bottom.png
    White - Bottom.png
    129.9 KB · Views: 177
  • White - Button Side.png
    White - Button Side.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 163
  • White - Dimensions.png
    White - Dimensions.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
I like the design, I think it looks better than the initial renders

Thank you!!! We also agree, the renderings were not particulary endearing to the design we had in mind and wanted. It took us a long time to refine it to this, but finally happy with it (months later!). It's one of those rare moments where you are genuinely proud of something.

Kind regards,

Dan

I think some people will be calling it in common everyday language "Mobius X" by Joovuu, but thumbs up for hardware and options / specs used, nice job !

I think some people will be calling it in common everyday language "Mobius X" by Joovuu, but thumbs up for hardware and options / specs used, nice job !

We know some people will draw similarities between the Mobius, but we are limited in designs for cameras and especially for the function we wanted it to have. Let me assure you, past the shell, the features, and hardware (as you can see) are completely different. To begin with we had about 10 designs (maybe we will release them some day) and then slowly narrowed down due to features, use, hardware, etc and this design we believe is the optimal and best for what we want to achieve.

Kind regards,

Dan

Mobius, Innovv, Dimika, Joovuu's 'X Factor' cam, I mean really how different can they be in this form factor, of course there will be similarities in appearance but they're all very different in their own way

Looks really good.
I'm just curious how is the mounting nut is attached to the camera?
I've had an Innovv mount crack before trying to attach a threaded suction cup mount.

Congratulations @JooVuu ! The camera looks great, both image and specifications. I hope you will find the best firmware to get the best out of this camera.

From dedign point of view I can draw prallels with present days smartphones. Cellphone companies can not differ too much from initial iPhone design concept if they want to make a smartphone.

Looks like a new exciting dash cam, similar in design to Mobius.

JooVuu, one question: You say "Super Capacitor (battery can be installed instead)", if I use it as a dash cam then I definitely want it to run on capacitor, but it is also useful as an action cam (with its 60fps and 120fps modes) which in that case will have to run on battery. How can you accommodate it if sometimes I use it as a dash cam with capacitor while other times as an action cam with battery?

@efoo - simply unplug and plug back in the capacitor. We had a design where the capacitor and battery were next to each other and depending on usage etc either the battery or the capacitor was used. However, this is proving harder to implement that we thought and as such we have left this feature out. Please remember this camera is PRIMARILY a car camera, however during the research and feedback it became apparent some people do like batteries instead of capacitors and therefore we decided to leave the door open for them to install a battery, simply unscrew the case, clip in the battery, screw the case back on.

@CheckYourLights, we have two possible solutions to minimize this shock problem, one is to incorporate the structure into the case (basically like little girders, as this reduces shock and vibrations), and the other is a bit more simplistic. This will be decided this week.

@Padwanjoe thank you very much - we already have a roadmap for the firmware, and we will be opening this up to testing once we get to that stage. We know when we release the camera there will be bugs (as you go from testing it with 5-10 people up to hundreds of people) but the thorough testing we will do before then will be incredibly extensive, and there will be regular patches to fix bugs and add new features.

@niko pretty much, especially when you want to allow the camera to be viable for certain markets and to be used for certain things. As stated, the hardware and firmware we believe is what really and clearly draws us apart. Whilst our design has a few similarities, the hardware and firmware are completely different.

Kind regards,

Dan

Cheers. Interesting plug-and-unplug option you got there. Also will be interesting to see how well the image stabilisation works in video mode.

Mobius, Innovv, Dimika, Joovuu's 'X Factor' cam, I mean really how different can they be in this form factor, of course there will be similarities in appearance but they're all very different in their own way
It actually also have a removable clip for people to carry in the pocket

Thanks for writing back Dan
It actually also have a removable clip for people to carry in the pocket
Like a belt clip?
If it came with a belt clip I'd love to try a battery version on my hat and test it against my C4.

that's generally far more useful for sport cam use rather than car use, as long as it is on/off selectable it's good to have the option
Yes, that's correct. Action cam like the Sony AS100V has shown the usefulness of image stabilisation compared to the GoPro without stabilisation.

nice camera. it seems to promise a lot. I'll be a customer for sure if it delivers. good luck with the development!

@JooVuu
looking good. Lots of features we wanted.

Pictures don't show all sides.
Does it really have the smallest micro hdmi as you mentioned or it's a typo for mini hdmi as others?

Also, what about mounting hardware?
I see there is a tripod socket.

How does fov changes affect video quality in your testing?

Last edited:
Back