JooVuu X Modified Firmware MODs Archive

Some IQ issues can be solved by changing Menu settings.
Flashing or auto brightening can result from DVR adjusting to either dark scene or bright object - toggling HDR on or off may reduce that effect.
DVR turning off then on or restarting could be over heated microSD card or loose in slot - try different memory card that is heat resistant. When using high Bitrate MODs which create large MP4 files its best to use memory card with faster than 20MB/s write speed. Cards with 60-90MB/s Write speed may help reduce random crashes or prevent file corruption, just a suggestion.

I don't own this Dashcam so can't witness the issues directly. Troubleshooting device and firmware takes time, it would help to know if these issues occur in all official FW versions for all owners.

The flashing only occurs in 1080p/60 setting during Daylight recordings, it's the road surface right in front of the truck that shows the flashing, I suspect others don't notice that in their recordings so much, because my camera in the truck is flat to the windshield and it has no nose, so it records much more road surface close to the truck than in a regular car. I don't see that flashing in night recordings which are in 1080p/30 in HDR setting.

However, both settings I use WDR ON so tomorrow I can turn that to OFF for the daytime recording to see if that helps, although WDR doesn't create that kind of flashing in my other dashcams, just an observation, I don't know if that's significant.

I use SAMSUNG EVO U3 Cards that write 90mb/s. Also I have tightened the card slot a little so that I'm sure the card is really snug fit ensuring no contact loss. The stop / start issue only occurs after looping has started (after the card is full) .

It has been mentioned that it could have something to do with power issues. I haven't found any proof for that yet I'm afraid.

Last edited:
I use SAMSUNG EVO U3 Cards that write 90mb/s. Also I have tightened the card slot a little so that I'm sure the card is really snug fit ensuring no contact loss. The stop / start issue only occurs after looping has started (after the card is full) .

what loop setting do you use?

M
Is it only me or your JVX is out of focus? My clips seem much sharper:
https://mega.nz/#F!I9QATI4J!mIkWaczxf7pEMrlooPplFw

Maybe, I use the F1. 2. lens and sharpness is set to 4, and it's a bit of a thingie to get that focused right (on Mobius too). Ill have a look into that later. Thanks for noticing, however it is a night recording.... Might have something to do with it as well.

loop, recycle, (how many minutes is each file) I'm not sure what it's called on that model

Ah, I ALWAYS use 3 minutes, but I've now set it to 2 minutes. With disabling WDR after bchobbyist suggested, I hope to reduce flashing.

Ah, I ALWAYS use 3 minutes, but I've now set it to 2 minutes. With disabling WDR after bchobbyist suggested, I hope to reduce flashing.

see how you go with 2 minutes, also give 1 minute a try, anytime you change that setting format the card again before use, Ambarella can be a bit fussy about the way it recycles sometimes

see how you go with 2 minutes, also give 1 minute a try, anytime you change that setting format the card again before use, Ambarella can be a bit fussy about the way it recycles sometimes

You telling me... Hahaha, I know! Reformatting the card shouldn't be nessecary everytime, the idea is that it recycles the oldest files for new ones.... But I guess you meant every time I reset the looping time? That's a bummer, cause I don't record the card to full in one day, not even in a 12 hr shift, which is merely 5~7 hrs of driving recording. I can put it on the constant 12v power outlet though.... Thanks for the tip!

You telling me... Hahaha, I know! Reformatting the card shouldn't be nessecary everytime, the idea is that it recycles the oldest files for new ones.... But I guess you meant every time I reset the looping time? That's a bummer, cause I don't record the card to full in one day, not even in a 12 hr shift, which is merely 5~7 hrs of driving recording. I can put it on the constant 12v power outlet though.... Thanks for the tip!

yes sorry that maybe wasn't so clear, I meant if you change the recycle setting to format the card before use

The flashing only occurs in 1080p/60 setting during Daylight recordings, it's the road surface right in front of the truck that shows the flashing, I suspect others don't notice that in their recordings so much, because my camera in the truck is flat to the windshield and it has no nose, so it records much more road surface close to the truck than in a regular car. I don't see that flashing in night recordings which are in 1080p/30 in HDR setting.

However, both settings I use WDR ON so tomorrow I can turn that to OFF for the daytime recording to see if that helps, although WDR doesn't create that kind of flashing in my other dashcams, just an observation, I don't know if that's significant.

It has been mentioned that it could have something to do with power issues. I haven't found any proof for that yet I'm afraid.

The joovuu forum seems to be down but I can remember seeing that the Joovuu had problems with U3 cards. I use the original Samsung EVO 64gb U1 cards. I have also tested an old class 6 32gb Samsung with the 38Mb/s modded FW and had no issues at all.

The only issue I have with the camera not starting is when the car hasn't been used for a couple of days but other than that it's been really reliable

The last lot of test clips that I posted were with WDR set to OFF.

Is it only me or your JVX is out of focus? My clips seem much sharper:
https://mega.nz/#F!I9QATI4J!mIkWaczxf7pEMrlooPplFw

You had lovely sunny weather but we had the end of the storms from the USA when I did the test clips lol.....dark wet and very windy

I can remember seeing your clips when you first got your Joovuu and if I can remember rightly these were at very high bit rates weren't they?

Created new JooVuu X - Beta version 28CC , See top of Post #1 of thread for details and ChangeLog.
Request RAW footage & feedback on all Sharpness levels under all lighting conditions.

firmware_JVX_MOD-28CC_28Mbps+SharpC+DCTeam.bin
Download > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1raUrDSnbw9tNd_t9BFO8ECValL3li_1U
---
DCTeam - CEO/CEH/CDO/DRD/DSP/IQE/PDU/SFC/LLS
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/BCHobbyist

In the change log you have said - changed Sharpness reduced High range by 75% , increased Low value by 50%.

Are the changes only applicable just to sharpness 0 & sharpness 6 or are the other ones between graduated between the + 50% & - 75%?

In the change log you have said - changed Sharpness reduced High range by 75% , increased Low value by 50%.

Are the changes only applicable just to sharpness 0 & sharpness 6 or are the other ones between graduated between the + 50% & - 75%?
thats the question I need answered by seeing samples of 0-6 sharpness we will know if modifying the high and low affects everything in between, it should be graduated. The 28CC MOD has two different modifications and wanted to verify each are improvements, the 28 to 25 was a temporary stability test.
Making small incremental adjustments to minor IQ tables to locate best values will improve finer adjustments to larger IQ tables with over 400 values.

Few extras: anyone running high Bitrates should use Loop= 1 or 2 min clip to keep the video file size under 500MB. It helps stabilize the Loop Recording feature and cause less halts as DVR attempts to overwrite a large file due to memory buffer limits and slow memory card write speeds. Verify Lens itself isn't lose or hot which can create focus-drift with sensor.

Do we still have access to the high bitrate mods that were published @ joovuu community boards? The board is inaccessible ..... I thought I stored them somewhere, but can't find them anymore....

I've sent a copy of the 18/28/38 Mbit december 2016 modded firmware to BChobbyist.

Link here https://mega.nz/#!QwMUhSTA!xg5b0glTiq3-WLTlkY3Fqji-SMrEqELbecyJJuFBWyw

Thanks, earlier today I found that one on my computer too.... It's running 38mb/s 1080p/60 and wdr on for hours on end in 1 minute loop files.... Looks like @BCHobbyist has the right idea. I also changed the 128gb U3 card for a 64gb U1 c10 card... If it doesn't fail once tonight, I'll try the 128gb U3 again with these settings.... Thanks guys!

The killer for all Dashcams is over heating. Usually caused by direct sun in parked vehicle, next is high Bitrate, next is high capacity memory cards that layer circuity over themselves generating higher heat as density of circuits increase so using a smaller density 64GB card is always cooler. I'll create 38 / 36 / 34 / 32 / 30Mbps Bitrate MODs after testing the 28CC sharpness MOD to determine if its better or worst than stock levels. I'd predict 32 or 34Mbps could be stable in hot summer, cold winter temps can support maximum values.

OK, I've refitted the original lens back as well on my X, so we'll see what happens today in real truck use. The 128 U3 performed fine until now, but it has'nt looped yet.... That will happen later today. Remind this isn't Bchobbyist's mod, but the older 38~28~18 one, just to test if the stop/starts are gone with 1 minute loop files.

Back