JooVuu X Modified Firmware MODs Archive

BCHobbyist

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A139 3Camera A129Duo-8WL A129Pro-4K A119V3 A119S-6Vk DCTeam
Expanding my Firmware Modifications to include JooVuu & VIOFO Dash Cams to enhance and improve image quality and function. You are invited to Post your comments, questions and footage below.
This post will be updated with all future MOD releases.
Current Stable MODs for Public --- Updated November 26, 2018
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MOD-18MA - Stable - - pending Beta results
MOD-28MA - Stable - - pending Beta results
MOD-38MA - Stable - - pending Beta results
Current Beta MODs for Testing --- Updated November 29, 2018
MOD-28CC - Beta - - November 29, 2018
firmware_JVX_MOD-28CC_28Mbps+SharpC+DCTeam.bin
- increased Bit Rate to 28Mbps adjusted 25Mbps for more detail.
- changed Sharpness reduced High range by 75% , increased Low value by 50%.
- modified embedded MP4 tag "Text Title" to identify Cam & MOD version.
MOD-28CB - Beta - - November 26, 2018
firmware_JVX_MOD-28CB_28Mbps+SharpB+DCTeam.bin
- increased Bit Rate to 28Mbps for more detail.
- changed Sharpness reduced High range by 75% , increased Low value by 25%.
- modified embedded MP4 tag "Text Title" to identify Cam & MOD version.
MOD-18CA - Beta - - November 20, 2018
firmware_JVX_MOD-18CA_18Mbps+SharpA+DCTeam.bin
- set Bit Rate to 18Mbps the default value.
- changed Sharpness reduced High range by 75% , Low value default (ugly mess pending adjustment).

Download JooVuu X Modified Firmware > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j5Jt3OB4Dh54tpKFkB_OC7Z3T0QiZkd6

((must RENAME the binary file firmware_JVX_MOD-18CA_18Mbps+SharpA+DCTeam.bin to firmware.bin before updating))
Disclaimer: All BCHobbyist Modified Firmware is rigorously tested by DCTeam Members under all conditions world wide. These MODs are not official JooVuu releases and considered Beta Firmware, I/we are not responsible for damage, loss, injury, or greatly improved image quality, use at your own risk.

View the ReadMe and ChangeLog for details from my online MOD Archives.
Beta Testing Setup = CPL on if available, 1min clips, 1080P@30fps, EV=0, HDR off, Camera Model Stamp on.
JooVuuX_Dashcam.jpg JooVuuX-APP-Menu.png
Please report all issues, thank you for using DCTeam MODs.
Send MOD Requests by clicking my DashCamTalk Avatar to start Private Conversation,
Contact me on BCHobbyist YouTube Channel > https://www.youtube.com/user/bchobbyist
DCTEAM-BETA-MODS-Logo.png

Last edited:
changed Sharpness reduced High range by 75% , increased Low value by 25%.
The five values of the choice of sharpness in the menu are essentially only three values.
There is practically no difference between 1 and 2 and between 4 and 5.
Sharpness is given by a combination of many filters and tables.
1.jpg2.jpg
As an example:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/tweaking-ov4689-hdr-off-imx322.26345/post-364709
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/tweaking-ov4689-hdr-off-imx322.26345/post-364935

Are there many JooVuu X users out there who will benefit from improved IQ?

Are there many JooVuu X users out there who will benefit from improved IQ?
I was the one that asked BCHobbyist if he can tweak the FW. Going to put a link on Joovuu's own forum and you should see a few more people swing by

BCHobbyist are you adding JVX_MOD-28CB_28Mbps+SharpB+DCTeam.bin for download today?

I retired my last X cam in the spring, i now have a Maxi in its place.

BCHobbyist are you adding JVX_MOD-28CB_28Mbps+SharpB+DCTeam.bin for download today?
The first 2 JooVuu MODs are online now, will wait for your test footage and make more adjustments to tables. Looks like an interesting DVR, is the mounting bracket stable and durable enough for frequent quick attach / detachments?
Any over heating issues when 660 mAh battery is used on hot summer day?

The first 2 JooVuu MODs are online now, will wait for your test footage and make more adjustments to tables. Looks like an interesting DVR, is the mounting bracket stable and durable enough for frequent quick attach / detachments?
Any over heating issues when 660 mAh battery is used on hot summer day?

The mount is a screw in fitting which is exactly the same as the mobius. Not sure about durability as I rarely take the camera out but it feels on par with the Mobius 1.

I have the capacitor version and even with this if the camera is in direct sunlight on a hot summers day 25c in the UK......the footage looks like the sharpness 2 clip that I sent you i.e. very soft and blurry. Once the camera cools down picture reverts to normal.

@BCHobbyist
Let me commend you for taking on another cam to develop firmware. The work you and the Team are doing has been one of the most interesting and educating developments I've seen with dashcams for a long time (y) Sad to say I'm not a fan of this cam though, so I won't be following along on it as I've done with the others.

Phil

@dirkzelf
I know how you love your X.....fancy giving this FW a go?

@dirkzelf
I know how you love your X.....fancy giving this FW a go?

Rob, thanks for the work, and yes I am (or rather have been) a big X fan for a long time, but I gotta agree with @SawMaster it's being dissapointing how this camera developed, and footage from my camera X is BLOCKY like h@ll. And I have tried all other fw's, and the blocking, flickering / flashing in Daylight conditions, stop/start issues NEVER were dealt with, which leads me to conclude this camera lost it's merites, AND it's right to still be used.... Sorry. Besides I'm in no position to do ultimate testing, since we have the care for family with terminal illness.... So it would have to be some one else I'm afraid.

The mount is a screw in fitting which is exactly the same as the mobius. Not sure about durability as I rarely take the camera out but it feels on par with the Mobius 1.

I have the capacitor version and even with this if the camera is in direct sunlight on a hot summers day 25c in the UK......the footage looks like the sharpness 2 clip that I sent you i.e. very soft and blurry. Once the camera cools down picture reverts to normal.
Haven't found any photos showing JVX internal view or Lens/sensor module out of camera. My guess they are attached to main circuit board. The reason I asked about hot weather over heating is there isn't much venting on that DVR which is a mistake in all designs. What you describe is common when Lens is threaded in plastic base which expands enough in microns causing Focus drift under high heat. It would be interesting to see the Lens housing base and mounting system.
Once I locate the main Sharpness tables we'll have better IQ control.

@BCHobbyist
Let me commend you for taking on another cam to develop firmware. The work you and the Team are doing has been one of the most interesting and educating developments I've seen with dashcams for a long time (y) Sad to say I'm not a fan of this cam though, so I won't be following along on it as I've done with the others.

Phil
Thanks for the positive feedback, sharing a common interest to improve devices is always more productive as a Team. If I can help improve the functionality of any device for a customer/owner that's my reward. I will modify anything if the request is reasonable, tools are available and mentors nearby.

Do you know of any other Dash Cams or Action Cams that could benefit from modified firmware? I'd rather not troll the 100's of threads.

Rob, thanks for the work, and yes I am (or rather have been) a big X fan for a long time, but I gotta agree with @SawMaster it's being dissapointing how this camera developed, and footage from my camera X is BLOCKY like h@ll. And I have tried all other fw's, and the blocking, flickering / flashing in Daylight conditions, stop/start issues NEVER were dealt with, which leads me to conclude this camera lost it's merites, AND it's right to still be used.... Sorry. Besides I'm in no position to do ultimate testing, since we have the care for family with terminal illness.... So it would have to be some one else I'm afraid.

Sorry guys, the credits for the work of the mod are for @BCHobbyist of course....

Sorry to hear about your family illness. My thoughts are with you

Right results for firmware_JVX_MOD-28CB_28Mbps+SharpB+DCTeam

Apologies for the poor weather....going to be like this for the next couple of days in the UK and apologies that I accidentally did 3 minute clips on 2 of the videos. WDR turned off on all of them

One thing I have noticed is that all the FWs including the stock ones are recording at 29fps not 29.97 or 30.00 as most of my other cameras do.....will that have an effect on the picture?

Sharpness 2 - https://mega.nz/#!Vhdx1CjQ!kGLZ4IxW0e9tdIZ6I9JUcjvE6iLq5jmgPZ-eMp2mDmo still way too soft and blurry

Sharpness 3 - https://mega.nz/#!coNh1SAD!5aBIsYnvkJqdAZrB6T0ESUbrGHx2iyL1MZoaeSDC-FI much better

Sharpness 4 - https://mega.nz/#!MwcTgCjT!Wx9dxtsQSS4fs8uIbDZFczVzryDRr3VyOz3rTIPh7p4 about the same as the sharpness 3 from the original FW

******Edit just realised that sharpness 2 & 4 recorded in 2560 resolution not 1080P D'oh! not sure if you have only changed the sharpness on 1080P30 or on all?******

Rob

Last edited:

One thing I have noticed is that all the FWs including the stock ones are recording at 29fps not 29.97 or 30.00 as most of my other cameras do.....will that have an effect on the picture?
Looks like 29.97fps to me
1543421566643.png

Apologies for the poor weather....going to be like this for the next couple of days in the UK and apologies that I accidentally did 3 minute clips on 2 of the videos. WDR turned off on all of them

Sharpness 2 - https://mega.nz/#!Vhdx1CjQ!kGLZ4IxW0e9tdIZ6I9JUcjvE6iLq5jmgPZ-eMp2mDmo still way too soft and blurry

Sharpness 3 - https://mega.nz/#!coNh1SAD!5aBIsYnvkJqdAZrB6T0ESUbrGHx2iyL1MZoaeSDC-FI much better

Sharpness 4 - https://mega.nz/#!MwcTgCjT!Wx9dxtsQSS4fs8uIbDZFczVzryDRr3VyOz3rTIPh7p4 about the same as the sharpness 3 from the original FW

******Edit just realised that sharpness 2 & 4 recorded in 2560 resolution not 1080P D'oh! not sure if you have only changed the sharpness on 1080P30 or on all?******

Rob
Thanks for the JVX 28CB Beta footage, was important for me to get these to confirm Bitrate works and MP4 tag embeds. The 29.9fps has zero effect on IQ quality and normal for different cameras. Since I don't own this X suggest you record in highest resolution whatever that is, want to avoid using interpolated resolutions that wreck IQ. The Sharp4 looks good possibly improved. Really need bright blue sky and some parking lot video. Also need to see extreme Sharp levels so Sharp1 & Sharp5, even parking in front of house pointing at building across street will help and easier to record all 5 sharpness levels. I have 4TB of storage for DCTeam Test footage so 3min clips mean nothing but for others 1-2min clip Looping is best.
What you've shared helps enough to advance the adjustments, great work. Should have another sharpness MOD later today.

Back