JooVuu X scenic experiment in rural UK

Kip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
JooVuu X, Shadow GT550WS, Blacksys CF-100 (dead & gone)
Here is my little scenic experiment, filmed in the very north of rural Cumbria, UK. This will probably be more interesting to those outside the UK or those who are rarely able to get away from the concrete jungles so many of us now live in.

I used my JooVuu X with some modified firmware installed (16/08/16) to increase the bitrate to 30mbps and changed the AE tables to keep the auto exposure correct even with the camera aimed upwards. By using the "21:9" 2560x1080 resolution, I was able to completely cut out the dashboard without setting the aim too high. It also reduces the amount of sky in the footage which is another bonus.

May do more of these on nice days depending on where I am traveling and just how much of a summer we actually get this year. The Cumbrian lake district is not too far away from us, I'd like to film roads such as Kirkstone and Hardknott. Kirkstone I've driven plenty of times but never done Hardknott, that 1 in 3 gradient looks an interesting drive.

You definitely need to drive the wrynose & hardknott for some interesting footage.
I've been meaning to get back up there for a while & drive that route with an additional cam set back from the screen filming an inclinometer app on my phone.
The drive is best done in a car capable of engine braking though.

We're planning a holiday sometime this summer around the lakes so hopefully we'll be able to get some nice roads in too. The inclinometer app sounds interesting, may look into that. Or even just pulling the GPS data out and using that to find the elevation later from a map. Both our cars are manual (I strongly dislike driving autos) so they do have engine braking but being eco diesel cars there is very little drag even when holding the engine at 3-4k RPM. Great for reducing fuel consumption on the commute, not so great when you want to reduce wear on your brakes.

Need to sort out the quality issue as well on my video, VideoPad has reduced the bitrate from 30 megabits per second to 12.8, and that is of course before YouTube has sunk it's teeth into it. It actually looks pretty awful compared with the raw footage which is razor sharp in comparison. :confused:

Very nice landscape ;)

Sent from my Z3

Back