JooVuu X two years later

lacibaci

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I snagged a "new" JooVuu from Ebay ("new" in quotes because you never know since it doesn't have a seal or shrink wrap) Here are my observations:

Build/Enclosure - very nice. I like the shape, the finish and the metal ring around the lens. Also, very easy to take apart - love the metal standoffs.

Mount - I received the sticky mount with a ball and 1/4" on the other side. The mount is very sturdy, no shakes or vibrations. One problem though - the 1/4" screw is too long and I had to use a spacer.

CPL included is also excellent, all metal construction fitting very well. The actual glass filter was mounted backwards!

First test revealed very blurry image of everything but the dash. It was focused waaay too close! Took it apart, removed an insane amount of glue and focused it right (used a focusing target at about 20ft)

Firmware - It originally came with 9/2016 firmware and I downloaded latest 12/2016 which instantly bricked the camera :( Half an hour later, I used the USBDirect tool and flashed .elf image which brought camera back to life.

Android mobile app and JooVuu X WifFi - absolute garbage! Don't know if it is the WiFi code on X or the Android app, but I could not make it connect. Took me about half an hour to finally make it work! (Nexus 5X Android 7.1.2 BTW)

Recording quality so far (about 3 weeks) has been excellent during the day and not so much at night. This is with modified bitrate firmware (40Mbps) Maybe the poor performance at night was caused by the CPL filter...

No problems with reliability so far.

So for $50 (including CPL) no bad if you want something to tinker with - definitely wouldn't recommend for a casual user.
IMG_20170610_001304.jpg IMG_20170610_195225.jpg

Last edited:
I have just installed the modified December FW and will be trying the 28mb/s setting as the filesize of the 40mb/s setting would be too large.

Will give the 2304x1296P 30FPS a go though.

Many thanks for replying

Take off CPL filter, and use the timed mode to switch mode in evenings to 1080p/30 with HDR on. You'll be pleasantly surprised....

Use 1080p/60 + HDR during daytime.

I use 28MB/s mod, but the X frequently stops and then starts again for unknown reasons. And I have to press reset button more then once a day, at least. Not the reliability we want.

And it's not the modded high bitrate f/w doing this, because it does that with stock f/w as well....

I can't use the supercap version cause it looses all date/time and other settings after a few days of no use. Very annoying, I am doomed to battery use.

Last edited:
Take off CPL filter, and use the timed mode to switch mode in evenings to 1080p/30 with HDR on. You'll be pleasantly surprised....

I use 28MB/s mod, but the X frequently stops and then starts again for unknown reasons. And I have to press reset button more then once a day, at least. Not the reliability we want.

And it's not the modded high bitrate f/w doing this, because it does that with stock f/w as well....

I can't use the supercap version cause it looses all date/time and other settings after a few days of no use. Very annoying, I am doomed to battery use.

I use the same settings as you but leave the CPL on as the reflections are so bad during the day if the CPL not on.

28mb/s makes it look a lot better too. Had mine running on a Samsung 32gb class 6 card and hasn't missed a beat even at 28mb/s

I use class 10 u3 card by Kingston 90MB/s (WRITE!) card, so that can't be it. But I'm kinda done with testing for improvements, I tried it all..... It's just not reliable enough.

Just got home from work, my X threw its first in car wobbly in a long time. Outside temp around 9 celcius so it wasn't overheating, had only ran maybe 10-15mins. It played the shutdown chime, then three low pitch beeps in time with each other, green LED came on, then it went off. Pressed power button, it came back on and started recording again, lasted until I got home. Will check and test memory card tomorrow, however, I had only checked my footage yesterday and it was all good. Hopefully it won't be anything serious...

Does anyone have any idea what is happening with Dan and JooVoo

Just got home from work, my X threw its first in car wobbly in a long time. Outside temp around 9 celcius so it wasn't overheating, had only ran maybe 10-15mins. It played the shutdown chime, then three low pitch beeps in time with each other, green LED came on, then it went off. Pressed power button, it came back on and started recording again, lasted until I got home. Will check and test memory card tomorrow, however, I had only checked my footage yesterday and it was all good. Hopefully it won't be anything serious...

One of my X-cams did a few 'random' shutdowns a while ago. The problem was a failing memory card. The card still sort-of works in many cams, including X-cams, but the card causes any cam it's in to occasionally stop recording and sometimes shortly after a cam stops the cam will restart.

Yeah a flaky camera are often the SD card that's on the way out.

I guess he's relying on people's short memory. Hey, it works for Meg so why not?

Interesting, I've seen the stop and go issue once - with an older Gskill card.
As far as date/time, I just took my X out of a box after a couple of weeks and it still had the proper date/time (Mine is a supercap ver.)

Interesting, I've seen the stop and go issue once - with an older Gskill card.
As far as date/time, I just took my X out of a box after a couple of weeks and it still had the proper date/time (Mine is a supercap ver.)

Most dashcams will stop-start or simply not record if the memory card is damaged, fake or not fast enough (including fragmented). The X-cam is more likely to need a higher-speed memory card than most mainstream cams.
Samsung Evo 64GB has worked flawlessly for about a year and a half in one of my X-cams but certain other so-called faster cards actually slow down considerably during prolonged writes, overwrites or once they're fragmented (official speed ratings quoted are for short bursts on unfragmented cards which is totally different to dashcam use patterns).

Loss of date/time can be due to defective or inadequate power supply which can cause the battery or capacitor to not fully charge. Also power-off-disconnect cannot be longer than 3s if capacitor is used - if 10s is selected the cap will be drained before the last file saves.

Back