JooVuu X two years later

Yeah a flaky camera are often the SD card that's on the way out.

I bought 2 new 128 GB cards (Kingston and Samsung), both 80~90 MB/s write cards, and my X is the only cam that has the stop/start hick up, all my other cams work great with them, so that theory of saying it must be the card, may be logical, but intrinsically incorrect, as I have read many similar complaints that new cards could not cure.

Tbh, I'm kinda done with my X...... Thinking of Viofo A119 later, first I'm testing the Run Split, when it arrives....

Interesting, I've seen the stop and go issue once - with an older Gskill card.
As far as date/time, I just took my X out of a box after a couple of weeks and it still had the proper date/time (Mine is a supercap ver.)

I guess you're the lucky one :)

Most dashcams will stop-start or simply not record if the memory card is damaged, fake or not fast enough (including fragmented). The X-cam is more likely to need a higher-speed memory card than most mainstream cams.
Samsung Evo 64GB has worked flawlessly for about a year and a half in one of my X-cams but certain other so-called faster cards actually slow down considerably during prolonged writes, overwrites or once they're fragmented (official speed ratings quoted are for short bursts on unfragmented cards which is totally different to dashcam use patterns).

Loss of date/time can be due to defective or inadequate power supply which can cause the battery or capacitor to not fully charge. Also power-off-disconnect cannot be longer than 3s if capacitor is used - if 10s is selected the cap will be drained before the last file saves.

I have a Samsung EVO 64GB class 10, but it has much slower write speed than the 128's I have, but I can give it a go, just to see if that works as you say, and if it does, what would that mean? I tested the 128's and they are both OK in the test....

I have a Samsung EVO 64GB class 10, but it has much slower write speed than the 128's I have, but I can give it a go, just to see if that works as you say, and if it does, what would that mean? I tested the 128's and they are both OK in the test....

It might be that the 64GB card, being smaller, doesn't take as long for the camera and card to find a suitable old file to delete, followed by writing a new one on top.
My guess is this:
Imagine 64 shelves of books (64GB) compared to 128 shelves of books (128GB). Once the books become disorganised (fragmented) it will take much longer to find the one you want if you have twice as many bookshelves to search. If the book you want happens to be on the very last shelf you search in the 128-shelf library, or the file the camera wants is the last one on the list and takes longer than expected to be found, the camera and card write buffer may have reached overload and data has nowhere to go, so the cam shuts down and restarts, working fine until the next stutter.

I have not tried a 128 Gb card in the X camera, i have tried just about any 64 Gb card i have and they all been fine though i few did die when in a x cam to the level of me suspecting the camera was killing sd cards.

It might be that the 64GB card, being smaller, doesn't take as long for the camera and card to find a suitable old file to delete, followed by writing a new one on top.
My guess is this:
Imagine 64 shelves of books (64GB) compared to 128 shelves of books (128GB). Once the books become disorganised (fragmented) it will take much longer to find the one you want if you have twice as many bookshelves to search. If the book you want happens to be on the very last shelf you search in the 128-shelf library, or the file the camera wants is the last one on the list and takes longer than expected to be found, the camera and card write buffer may have reached overload and data has nowhere to go, so the cam shuts down and restarts, working fine until the next stutter.

Maybe, and I'm not qualified to enter technical counter facts, but this ONLY happens with my X, and with NO OTHER camera I own, or ever owned.

Mobius 1
Foxeer Legend 2
Foxeer Legend 3 (sold)
808MateCam

ALL tried with 128GB cards, no issues whatsoever.

AND THAT'S WITH THE X BEING SPECIFIED FOR 128GB CARDS, AS WHERE MOBIUS AND 808 ARE NOT........

PIECE

Maybe, and I'm not qualified to enter technical counter facts, but this ONLY happens with my X, and with NO OTHER camera I own, or ever owned.

Mobius 1
Foxeer Legend 2
Foxeer Legend 3 (sold)
808MateCam

ALL tried with 128GB cards, no issues whatsoever.

AND THAT'S WITH THE X BEING SPECIFIED FOR 128GB CARDS, AS WHERE MOBIUS AND 808 ARE NOT........

PIECE
One difference that may not be obvious is the bitrate. JVX is probably recording at a higher bitrate than those listed above.

I have not tried a 128 Gb card in the X camera, i have tried just about any 64 Gb card i have and they all been fine though i few did die when in a x cam to the level of me suspecting the camera was killing sd cards.

Did you as a matter-of-fact deducted this killing? I am used to believe all cards die at some point?

One difference that may not be obvious is the bitrate. JVX is probably recording at a higher bitrate than those listed above.

The 808 records at much higher bitrate since than the X camera, the files are much bigger due to the AVI format, no H264 compression. So there goes that argument, I guess?

And fwiw, the Legend 2 records @ >30,000 b/s. Never missed a beat with these 128GB cards. Highest bitrate for standard X is 18,000 b/s.....

No,believe me, the X records best in night conditions, cudos to that, but it's never been stable or reliable enough for dashcam use.

The 808 records at much higher bitrate since than the X camera, the files are much bigger due to the AVI format, no H264 compression. So there goes that argument, I guess?

And fwiw, the Legend 2 records @ >30,000 b/s. Never missed a beat with these 128GB cards. Highest bitrate for standard X is 18,000 b/s.....

No,believe me, the X records best in night conditions, cudos to that, but it's never been stable or reliable enough for dashcam use.
OK, maybe you do have a defective one than...

I still have a couple of very old tired SanDisk Ultra 32GB class 10 cards. Due to all the horror stories about those cards (and having one go belly up on me just like the reports we hear) I only use them for testing purposes rather than any mission critical dash cam work. So, over the last year I have been hammering them testing my two Mobius 2 cameras at more than 30 Mbps and the cards are still doing just fine. Based on that experience, I don't think high bit rates are the cause of @dirkzelf's troubles.

(and go figure about the SanDisk Ultra card's alleged tendency to fail in dash cams:confused:)

Last edited:
I still have a couple of very old tired SanDisk Ultra 32GB class 10 cards. Due to all the horror stories about those cards (and having one go belly up on me just like the reports we hear) I only use them for testing purposes rather than any mission critical dash cam work. So, over the last year I have been hammering them testing my two Mobius 2 cameras at more than 30 Mbps and the cards are still doing just fine. Based on that experience, I don't think high bit rates are the cause of @dirkzelf's troubles.

(and go figure about the SanDisk Ultra card's alleged tendency to fail in dash cams)

The ultras just shut down writing to the whole card as soon as a weak spot is detected, instead of just isolating that weak spot..... Anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I love the X, but it doesn't deserve ALL the hallelujah's it so desperately needs....

I can tell you it would need a while lot of persuasion to let me BUY the X2, IF THAT IS STILL A REALISTIC FUTURE IMAGE...

Sorry Dan.

I think it was just timing and bad luck, since then the x cam have been just fine, and i did use it for a while before i retired it from my car.
And i have not had the chance to use it much as a action camera as SJcams gifted me with 3 of their cameras, and the things i have been doing the standard box shape have been fine.

The ultras just shut down writing to the whole card as soon as a weak spot is detected, instead of just isolating that weak spot..... Anyway.

Yeah, I know what happens to those cards. My SanDisk cards are all 5-6 years old and have countless dash cam hours on them though. I bought them early on not long after I first got into dash cams yet they just keep going and going. I purchased them before there were reports about those cards failing. One of them is now in a Mobius 1 I've been running every day. It's almost weird at this point that they don't go into read only mode or just die of old age. All my other brand cards have been extremely durable and long lived too. It makes me skeptical about the High Endurance fever everyone seems to have these days. I think I might just spend the money on two "regular" memory cards at this point and swap a new one in if one of them croaked.

I have my X running now on the 64GB Samsung Evo class 10 card, looping already for a few hours with a full card, I'll be curious if this turns out well.

If it does I'll buy me a standard class 10 128GB Samsung card, just for the heck of it, to see if that also works out, but if it does, the U3 (>80MB/s) Kingston and Samsung would be TOO FAST....?

That would be hilarious.... Hahaha

Yeah, I know what happens to those cards. My SanDisk cards are all 5-6 years old and have countless dash cam hours on them though. I bought them early on not long after I first got into dash cams yet they just keep going and going. I purchased them before there were reports about those cards failing. One of them is now in a Mobius 1 I've been running every day. It's almost weird at this point that they don't go into read only mode or just die of old age. All my other brand cards have been extremely durable and long lived too. It makes me skeptical about the High Endurance fever everyone seems to have these days. I think I might just spend the money on two "regular" memory cards at this point and swap a new one in if one of them croaked.

I have a no name 32gb card, that must be over 5 years old by now, and still hasn't missed a beat running in my Mobius for 4 years by now....

Back