JooVuu X vs Mobous 2

I doubt there is enough revenue in dashcams to so any more than us being done now by way of product testing. It's certainly not multi-millions. After spending to create a cam there's not going to be much left to pay for a team of folks to test it. We've got a handful of cam-savvy members here who do uncompensated beta testing- those folks will wring the software's neck thoroughly, but they're not the kind to drop cams on hard floors or set them next to a steamy humidifier or leave them outside in a misty rain. You're not supposed to do that to a so if it fails that it is not the manufacturers fault in any way. But that's what will happen when a cam reaches the consumers and they are not going to tell you of how they abused it. It's only when the cam gets RMA'd and back in the hands of the manufacturer will that be discovered. There are only a limited number of pre-production cams available for testing; you're essentially giving away thousands of dollars in merchandise all paid for by you, because those cams can't be sold afterward as new and there are essentially no components on them worth the time it takes to salvage for further use. We're not talking budgets like Porsche and Rolex and Nikon here- there's just not that kind of money in dashcams so why is it that you expect more?

c4rc4m, you've popped up all over DCT to criticise and complain about what happens and contributed little toward helping the manufacturers here to improve their products. You can't seem to understand why a $100 video cam doesn't perform like a $1000 SLR single-pic cam even though you seem to well understand the way they work. I for one am getting rather tired of your constant complaining, biching, and moaning. If you don't like how dashcams are being done why don't you do us all a favor and make the perfect dashcam since you think you know what that is and think you know how to do it better than those who've been doing it for years ;) Go ahead- I dare you. I can tell you already that you aren't capable of doing that on a commercially successful scale even if you had a financial angel's backing. You don't have the experience needed to wind your way through all the problems inherent in making and marketing dashcams. You're an "armchair quarterback" who will never be happy with anything because you think you can do better when the truth is that you'd not last halfway through the first quarter of an easy game before getting thrown out of the stadium by your own team.

You have useful knowledge but you don't wield it well. You lack the social skills needed to interact with and help others make better things for you. I doubt that you'll take the long hard look in the mirror that would make you a better contributor here, or even one whose posts are truly worth reading. You can change that and I for one wish you would. Stop whining and moaning and making stupid comparisons between apples and oranges- nobody likes that in anybody- and get a grip on the reality of dashcams and their makers and the myriad problems they have to contend with to make or improve their products on their limited budgets. Take it one step even further- offer to pay them for their beta-test cam and see just what you can do there yourself- I'm sure they can use the money they're currently throwing away giving beta-test cams out to real-world users for free like they're doing now, and if you're as smart as you think you are then you will find and fix every possible flaw and problem which crops up saving them the time and money they invest in doing that themselves now. Then perhaps we will all get only fully developed perfect dashcams every time before new technology comes along and raises the bar again as it always does making you start the whole process over again just to remain viable in a tight market. You seem to think that is possible so now go prove it or STFU with the incessant whining you're doing here on DCT that is only making things worse instead of better :mad:

Sincerely.
Phil

I doubt there is enough revenue in dashcams to so any more than us being done now by way of product testing. It's certainly not multi-millions. After spending to create a cam there's not going to be much left to pay for a team of folks to test it. We've got a handful of cam-savvy members here who do uncompensated beta testing- those folks will wring the software's neck thoroughly, but they're not the kind to drop cams on hard floors or set them next to a steamy humidifier or leave them outside in a misty rain. You're not supposed to do that to a so if it fails that it is not the manufacturers fault in any way. But that's what will happen when a cam reaches the consumers and they are not going to tell you of how they abused it. It's only when the cam gets RMA'd and back in the hands of the manufacturer will that be discovered. There are only a limited number of pre-production cams available for testing; you're essentially giving away thousands of dollars in merchandise all paid for by you, because those cams can't be sold afterward as new and there are essentially no components on them worth the time it takes to salvage for further use. We're not talking budgets like Porsche and Rolex and Nikon here- there's just not that kind of money in dashcams so why is it that you expect more?

c4rc4m, you've popped up all over DCT to criticise and complain about what happens and contributed little toward helping the manufacturers here to improve their products. You can't seem to understand why a $100 video cam doesn't perform like a $1000 SLR single-pic cam even though you seem to well understand the way they work. I for one am getting rather tired of your constant complaining, biching, and moaning. If you don't like how dashcams are being done why don't you do us all a favor and make the perfect dashcam since you think you know what that is and think you know how to do it better than those who've been doing it for years ;) Go ahead- I dare you. I can tell you already that you aren't capable of doing that on a commercially successful scale even if you had a financial angel's backing. You don't have the experience needed to wind your way through all the problems inherent in making and marketing dashcams. You're an "armchair quarterback" who will never be happy with anything because you think you can do better when the truth is that you'd not last halfway through the first quarter of an easy game before getting thrown out of the stadium by your own team.

You have useful knowledge but you don't wield it well. You lack the social skills needed to interact with and help others make better things for you. I doubt that you'll take the long hard look in the mirror that would make you a better contributor here, or even one whose posts are truly worth reading. You can change that and I for one wish you would. Stop whining and moaning and making stupid comparisons between apples and oranges- nobody likes that in anybody- and get a grip on the reality of dashcams and their makers and the myriad problems they have to contend with to make or improve their products on their limited budgets. Take it one step even further- offer to pay them for their beta-test cam and see just what you can do there yourself- I'm sure they can use the money they're currently throwing away giving beta-test cams out to real-world users for free like they're doing now, and if you're as smart as you think you are then you will find and fix every possible flaw and problem which crops up saving them the time and money they invest in doing that themselves now. Then perhaps we will all get only fully developed perfect dashcams every time before new technology comes along and raises the bar again as it always does making you start the whole process over again just to remain viable in a tight market. You seem to think that is possible so now go prove it or STFU with the incessant whining you're doing here on DCT that is only making things worse instead of better :mad:

Sincerely.
Phil

Well said!

pretty much covered it all, even the richest of manufacturers in this category don't have the profits to be handing out cameras like lollies, I see more cameras being given out by small Chinese companies (manufacturers and sellers) for reviews than you see getting handed out for development purposes, the ones that are handing out the cameras only do so as they lack the ability to build their own marketing material that can be used in western markets so it's just a way to generate sales when they don't speak the language well and want to make sales online, to be honest some of the people that are doing the reviews should be getting paid as they contribute a lot more sales to some of these businesses through their free involvement than they are aware of

to be honest some of the people that are doing the reviews should be getting paid as they contribute a lot more sales to some of these businesses through their free involvement than they are aware of

Interesting suggestion. The fact of the matter however, is that some parties are receiving literally thousands of dollars worth of free merchandise from Chinese vendors to do with what they please after they publish their reviews so one could argue that they are already being "paid" nevertheless. This approach allows the reviewer to claim "no affiliation" with their patron, thus maintaining an appearance of impartiality and objectivity whether it truly exists or not.

Interesting suggestion. The fact of the matter however, is that some parties are receiving literally thousands of dollars worth of free merchandise from Chinese vendors to do with what they please after they publish their reviews so one could argue that they are already being "paid" nevertheless. This approach allows the reviewer to claim "no affiliation" with their patron, thus maintaining an appearance of impartiality and objectivity whether it truly exists or not.

Thousands of dollars worth perhaps but it's all one of this, one of that, once they've reviewed it it's not exactly new so not like they'll make some huge profit if they were selling everything off afterward, I'd say it has cost them thousands of dollars worth of their own time as well, just as likely some of the old stuff gets gifted off to others once they're done with it, some of those suppliers are profiting massively off the efforts of others with very little reward, the free product it cost them has a huge ROI

I agree that the question of being impartial or not is subjective as there could be the situation where the reviewer, consciously or not, is more forgiving to the supplier that is constantly sending them free stuff, you see this on websites all over the place in all sorts of categories, not anything unique to what goes on here, that's just playing on the human psyche I guess, I do know of one of the suppliers in particular that engages in these reviews that is reaping a lot more than what they sow and are responsible for some pretty questionable behavior

Thousands of dollars worth perhaps but it's all one of this, one of that, once they've reviewed it it's not exactly new so not like they'll make some huge profit if they were selling everything off afterward, I'd say it has cost them thousands of dollars worth of their own time as well, just as likely some of the old stuff gets gifted off to others once they're done with it, some of those suppliers are profiting massively off the efforts of others with very little reward, the free product it cost them has a huge ROI

I agree that the question of being impartial or not is subjective as there could be the situation where the reviewer, consciously or not, is more forgiving to the supplier that is constantly sending them free stuff, you see this on websites all over the place in all sorts of categories, not anything unique to what goes on here, that's just playing on the human psyche I guess, I do know of one of the suppliers in particular that engages in these reviews that is reaping a lot more than what they sow and are responsible for some pretty questionable behavior

I don't see where "reviewer's samples" are not saleable at a nice profit since there is no outlay of money whatsoever to receive these products. And the matter of whether a gently used item is "used" enough not to still offer as "new" or "like new" on venues such as eBay is another question. But that is simply part of the bargain and I see no reason why people shouldn't be accepting products and doing these reviews. I think the problem with this concept comes down to the "objectivity and impartiality thing" and "affiliation thing" with those that accept large numbers of any given product category from a single vendor or manufacturer. If you accept thousands of dollars worth of merchandise for review from a single entity you are "affiliated", period. This strikes me as very different than folks who do the occasional review here and there.

One way or another it is clear that giving out so many thousands of dollars worth of review products across the internet must be worthwhile for vendors or they wouldn't do it. In fact, at one point a certain well known Chinese vendor here on DCT contacted me asking if I could suggest other forums they might sign up membership for regarding a different product category than dash cams based on some comments I made a few times here on DCT regarding those other products. This was after I had already been approached about a role as a reviewer here apparently because of my perceived value to them as an "influential" member with lots of posts and likes to my name. I declined both requests.

Please pardon the tone of my previous message- I get utterly frustrated at times and it was one of those times.

Many thanks to those who do beta testing and those who supply the items tested- that makes my own part of the world better :)

Phil

Back