JooVuu X2: New Feature: Light Sensor

Since I wear the X1 on my hat it will be interesting to see how well this idea will work with a hat cam once released

I'm not sure I'm seeing any benefit- the difference appears to be in colour balance in so far as the standard camera seems to be picking up a lot of IR from your headlights (hence the pink colour cast). That's unusual as usually good quality bulbs are IR filtered to avoid damage to plastic headlight housings. It could just be down to bad adjustments in the camera though, although IR tends to appear pink to daylight vision.

Generally though I'd say IR is a red herring. The benefits of IR are the fact that you can use an illuminator. However, as I said elsewhere, unless you're going to put a high power IR floodlight on the front of your car, you're unlikely to see further with juts natural light or low power LED's, and if you did put an IR floodlight on your car, you could theoretically just risk damaging your eyesight and that of other motorists. Plus highly reflective surfaces such as number plates and road signs would back reflect a lot and may over expose as they'll be much brighter than the rest of the picture. Several cheaper cameras have tried IR illumination using low power LED's and I'm not aware of any benefit being shown plus mounted internally, you will probably get back reflection from the windscreen.

This is one of the cheaper cameras that is for sale with IR leds:

SKU118036a.jpg

As I said, I'm not aware of any proven advantage.

Last edited:
Interesting experiment! I notice you have another Mobius sitting there, any chance of some above and below side-by-side footage? I like that you included completely unlit narrow roads too, that's a real test of how much and how far you can see.

OK, Just to satisfy your curiousity on how the trip looked like with IR fliter on, bit thios is a Mobius with Model A lens, so the comparison is in fact not correct, nor justified......

I bet the origional C2 lens with IR filter ON wouldn't be much wordse than with the IR filter OFF.

;)

I'm not sure I'm seeing any benefit- the difference appears to be in colour balance in so far as the standard camera seems to be picking up a lot of IR from your headlights (hence the pink colour cast). That's unusual as usually good quality bulbs are IR filtered to avoid damage to plastic headlight housings. It could just be down to bad adjustments in the camera though, although IR tends to appear pink to daylight vision.

Generally though I'd say IR is a red herring. The benefits of IR are the fact that you can use an illuminator. However, as I said elsewhere, unless you're going to put a high power IR floodlight on the front of your car, you're unlikely to see further with juts natural light or low power LED's, and if you did put an IR floodlight on your car, you would just risk damaging your eyesight and that of other motorists. Plus highly reflective surfaces such as number plates and road signs would back reflect a lot and may over expose as they'll be much brighter than the rest of the picture. Several cheaper cameras have tried IR illumination using low power LED's and I'm not aware of any benefit being shown plus mounted internally, you will probably get back reflection from the windscreen.

As I said, I'm not aware of any proven advantage.

Oh I'm not going to do any of that IR-flood lights idea.... :eek:

It was a test to see what would happen. Like I said in my previous message, the C2 lens (with IR filter) doesn't seem to underperform in terms of light getting in at night. Maybe I'll do the same ride again with the C2 lens fitted (with IR filter of course).

BTW: Does anyone know the aperture (F/nr) for the origional Mobius C2 lens?

Since I wear the X1 on my hat it will be interesting to see how well this idea will work with a hat cam once released

Check above, IR illumination seems to be hazardous to your eyes ...... But I don't really know.

Here's one with an F1.8 lens, about 90 degree fov, where I take OFF/ON the IR filter

Check above, IR illumination seems to be hazardous to your eyes ...... But I don't really know.

Given patio heaters etc put out high volumes of IR I doubt they're dangerous for short exposures - you simply don't stand and stare at the element, but I'm not sure I'd like to be blasted directly in the eyes for long periods by eg cars stood in rush hour traffic on a dark night in winter by a flood light style ir illuminator on the front of the car. If you're wondering why I mentioned IR floodlights above, the visible distance and brightness of the picture will depend on the amount of IR in the scene, so just like headlights with visible light, my understanding is the more IR you shine down the road, the more you see. I know in the shooting world, shooters using IR night sights tend to use very high power IR torches with narrow beams to put enough light down to see at distance. I'm guessing therefore that to see a real improvement over visible light, you're going to need a pretty powerful IR light source and not just a couple of low power milliwatt LED's.

As for the hazards, there may be no real hazard to higher levels of IR, I wouldn't know. However, IR is known to penetrate deeply and cause heating of tissues (hence it's use for muscle warming for pain / athletes), so I would have some concerns about high power IR lights and that light striking / potentially warming my retinas on prolonged exposure such as the stuck in nightime traffic scenario above. Without high power lights, there'd be no concerns but as I said above, I doubt you're going to see much difference in distance visibility.

Just some thinking aloud.

Last edited:
Daytime Mobius C2, NO IR Filter (yes I took it off....:whistle:), set color to MONO (B/W)

Night time to come....

Given patio heaters etc put out high volumes of IR I doubt they're dangerous for short exposures - you simply don't stand and stare at the element, but I'm not sure I'd like to be blasted directly in the eyes for long periods by eg cars stood in rush hour traffic on a dark night in winter by a flood light style ir illuminator on the front of the car. If you're wondering why I mentioned IR floodlights above, the visible distance and brightness of the picture will depend on the amount of IR in the scene, so just like headlights with visible light, my understanding is the more IR you shine down the road, the more you see. I know in the shooting world, shooters using IR night sights tend to use very high power IR torches with narrow beams to put enough light down to see at distance. I'm guessing therefore that to see a real improvement over visible light, you're going to need a pretty powerful IR light source and not just a couple of low power milliwatt LED's.

As for the hazards, there may be no real hazard to higher levels of IR, I wouldn't know. However, IR is known to penetrate deeply and cause heating of tissues (hence it's use for muscle warming for pain / athletes), so I would have some concerns about high power IR lights and that light striking / potentially warming my retinas on prolonged exposure such as the stuck in nightime traffic scenario above. Without high power lights, there'd be no concerns but as I said above, I doubt you're going to see much difference in distance visibility.

Just some thinking aloud.
The IR floodlights give out "near IR", just beyond what we can see, totally different to a patio heater which is putting out heat or far IR.

The danger with IR floodlights is that the light they give out is as bright as a visible floodlight. If you look directly at a visible floodlight then your eyes protect themselves by closing their iris and then you brain protects them further by looking away, however with an IR floodlight you don't see the danger, your iris doesn't close and you don't look away, so the retina in your eye can get burned and you don't realise until it is too late and there is permanent damage done. With a patio heater, although you can't see the IR, you will feel it as heat and look away - we have evolved to deal with camp fires, plus our eyes will not focus the light from a patio heater, but they will with an IR floodlight.

Never look directly into an IR floodlight, and fitting them in the back of a taxi where the passengers may look directly into them wondering what that faint red glow is is not a good idea.

I remember when TV looked like that, and Americans was sending people to the moon.

I think the may have used the same camera as many on here (and not a JooVuu) . I couldn't read the number plate on that either! :)

As promised (Color set MONO):

Back