Just bought an F800 Pro.

Nadhir

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Thinkware F800 Pro
Supposed to receive it today. First dash cam. I've been having a couple of questions but sites haven't fully answered them and I just now found this forum after ordering it - good thing I can always return it, but hopefully not!

First, I bought the F800 Pro with the hardwiring kit. I have a BMW 5 series. The battery is in the trunk but there's a fuse box in the glove box. I should be fine just using the fuse box and not have to actually take all the wire to the back of the car and into the trunk, right? If so, I don't think the provided wires will reach all the way to the trunk...

Second, I have a 20% carbon tint on the back of my car. This shouldn't affect the video but so much, right? I've read that cutting out part of the tint is not the ideal thing to do as it can mess up the entire tint and wouldn't necessarily guarantee the rear cam to record properly.

Third, does anyone have any experience with German cars? My car is pretty sensitive with regards to the battery. I remember giving someone a jump a few times and got a notification/warning on my iDrive saying reduced voltage or something. Nothing happened, but it would just be annoying if I got that message every time I turn my car on because of the Dash Cam.

Fourth, do you guys think the Cellink battery is worth it? Would I just be able to turn the parking mode off if I have my car sitting for more than a day? It's my only car but I don't necessarily drive it daily. I know there's an option for a cutoff when the battery reaches a certain voltage. The Cellink is an extra $200+ and I don't want to buy it if it isn't absolutely necessary.

Fifth, the Pro supports 128GB card, though I'm only receiving a 32GB card with the purchase. I'm going to buy a 128GB card later but am wondering if anyone knows the exact specs? I was going to get a U3 but that's $85. I found a U1 for $45. I think Thinkware uses a U1 card but am not sure if a U3 would work any better or not.

Lastly, has anyone hardwired their cam? I have watched some videos and it doesn't seem that hard but I just don't want to mess anything up. Is there any chance I can break something or should I just pay someone to do it for me?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Hi Nadhir,
Congratulations on your purchase.
Hope you may have many safe driving miles.
I found the following video helpful (
)
You might want to check out this as well (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01BDKTRAE )
Hope this helps!
Greetings,

Peter

Hi Nadhir,
Congratulations on your purchase.
Hope you may have many safe driving miles.
I found the following video helpful (
)
You might want to check out this as well (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01BDKTRAE )
Hope this helps!
Greetings,

Peter
That video was helpful, thanks! About the SD card, that one only goes to 64GB but the Pro goes to 128GB. Theres not much use in getting 64GB when I can just get a 128GB. I did see this card, though, when I was searching and the 64GB made me look elsewhere.

I think I'm going between these two:

SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDXC Memory Card Plus SD Adapter up to 100 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30, A1 - 128 GB

Sandisk Ultra 128GB Micro SDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter - 100MB/s U1 A1 - SDSQUAR-128G-GN6MA

Get the Sandisk extreme.
Ultra will give you problems.
Here is a link
SanDisk Extreme 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card - SDSQXAF-128G-GN6MA [Newest Version] https://www.amazon.com/gp/B06XX3X9JDYou don’t need the pro

I recommend Cellink battery and if you can afford it get the extended pack. You might get issues running the camera in parking mode on your BMW and your car might not turn on next day if you leave the camera on all night.

Get the Sandisk extreme.
Ultra will give you problems.
Here is a link
SanDisk Extreme 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card - SDSQXAF-128G-GN6MA [Newest Version] https://www.amazon.com/gp/B06XX3X9JDYou don’t need the pro

I recommend Cellink battery and if you can afford it get the extended pack. You might get issues running the camera in parking mode on your BMW and your car might not turn on next day if you leave the camera on all night.
What’s the difference between the Celling Battery B and the extended pack?

Also. Can I set up my dash cam and add the battery later or do I need to do it initially?

Edit: is the battery pack $200+ and an additional $200+ for the extended battery...?

Last edited:
So the cellink B is the unit it self it is about $200 I don’t remember well. You can add an extender pack which will give you additional recording time. I believe you get 20+ hours with juts one battery. I have the one battery but I might be adding one more so that I can have a hotspot running with the camera once the release a better parking function for our camera and the cloud. If you don’t run an alternative battery your BMW will give you some troubles. I’ve read about people complaining with BMW and most dash cams

What’s the difference between the Celling Battery B and the extended pack?

Also. Can I set up my dash cam and add the battery later or do I need to do it initially?

Edit: is the battery pack $200+ and an additional $200+ for the extended battery...?
Forgot to tag

First, I bought the F800 Pro with the hardwiring kit. I have a BMW 5 series. The battery is in the trunk but there's a fuse box in the glove box. I should be fine just using the fuse box and not have to actually take all the wire to the back of the car and into the trunk, right? If so, I don't think the provided wires will reach all the way to the trunk...
I HAVE AN MB E CLASS AND THE WIRE IS LONG ENOUGH TO GO TO THE DRUNK

Second, I have a 20% carbon tint on the back of my car. This shouldn't affect the video but so much, right? I've read that cutting out part of the tint is not the ideal thing to do as it can mess up the entire tint and wouldn't necessarily guarantee the rear cam to record properly. I HGVE TINTED WINDOWS AS WELL BUT DOESNT AFFECT THE IMAGE TOO MUCH. ESEPCIALLY SINCE THE CAMERA IS NEAR THE WINDOW

Third, does anyone have any experience with German cars? My car is pretty sensitive with regards to the battery. I remember giving someone a jump a few times and got a notification/warning on my iDrive saying reduced voltage or something. Nothing happened, but it would just be annoying if I got that message every time I turn my car on because of the Dash Cam. I DONT HAVE AN PROBLEMS PIGGY BACKING MY CAMERA ON A FUSE WITH MY MB, BUT WITH BMW THIS SEEMS TO BE
A DIFFERENT STORY. IF FACT THE CELLINK WAS ORIGINALLY MADE ESPECIALLY FOR BMW'S.

Fourth, do you guys think the Cellink battery is worth it? Would I just be able to turn the parking mode off if I have my car sitting for more than a day? It's my only car but I don't necessarily drive it daily. I know there's an option for a cutoff when the battery reaches a certain voltage. The Cellink is an extra $200+ and I don't want to buy it if it isn't absolutely necessary. YOU CAN SET THE CAMERA TO SWITCH OFF AFTER A SET NUMBER OF HOURS. IF YOU ONLY WANT PARKING FOOTAGE FOR A FEW HOURS EACH DAY THEN NO NEED TO GO FOR THE CELLINK

Lastly, has anyone hardwired their cam? I have watched some videos and it doesn't seem that hard but I just don't want to mess anything up. Is there any chance I can break something or should I just pay someone to do it for me?
ITS EASY TO DO. YOU JUST NEED TO PIGGY BACK TO THE FUSES, BUT THE QUESTIONS IS WETHER YOUR BMW WONT ACT UP...

So you hardwired your camera to your fuse box and not your battery? I was watching a lot of videos saying to go to battery instead of fuse box for some reason.

Also, if I have the camera set to cut off after a couple hours, it’ll still turn back on if someone hits my car, right?

That's the easy bit. It’s the auto connect with internet which is a complete pain.
After a week of doing firmware updates I still have to connect to my hotspot using the app.
And to it off when I had another look today there was another firmware update. So I thought Thinkware may
Have done something about it as there have been a lot of questions about this. So I downloaded the update and
Put it back in the car. No such luck it still wants me to connect via the app, And believe me we have tried everything apart from installing a car WiFi kit, NOT HAPPY

So you hardwired your camera to your fuse box and not your battery? I was watching a lot of videos saying to go to battery instead of fuse box for some reason.

Also, if I have the camera set to cut off after a couple hours, it’ll still turn back on if someone hits my car, right?

No, when it turns off, nothing will be recorded.
To make sure it works after turning off the ignition, listen for the camera saying that it's going into parking mode.
If it doesn't then either you have either wired it incorrectly or you have not set the parking mode recording function in the app.

That's the easy bit. It’s the auto connect with internet which is a complete pain.
After a week of doing firmware updates I still have to connect to my hotspot using the app.
And to it off when I had another look today there was another firmware update. So I thought Thinkware may
Have done something about it as there have been a lot of questions about this. So I downloaded the update and
Put it back in the car. No such luck it still wants me to connect via the app, And believe me we have tried everything apart from installing a car WiFi kit, NOT HAPPY

Have you watched the videos, it shouldn't be an issue. http://www.chameleondirect.co.uk/wo...0-pro-connection-to-smartphone-android-apple/
(I recommend factory resetting the unit in advance of trying again. Power the camera up wait for it to start recording & gps connected message then press & hold the Manual Record & Microphone buttons for a few seconds, should get a few bleeps and a restart message - This does RESET EVERYTHING)

The F800 Pro has 2 parking modes. One it will record on the timer / battery voltage cut off in either time lapse or motion once the timer or battery level is reached it will stop recording full stop). Or if you choose energy saving mode (not as good IMO but much less battery used) the camera is off but it will wake up & record within 1 second of an impact.

Have you watched the videos, it shouldn't be an issue. http://www.chameleondirect.co.uk/wo...0-pro-connection-to-smartphone-android-apple/
(I recommend factory resetting the unit in advance of trying again. Power the camera up wait for it to start recording & gps connected message then press & hold the Manual Record & Microphone buttons for a few seconds, should get a few bleeps and a restart message - This does RESET EVERYTHING)

Been there done that. Thanks

That’s just optional, though, right? You can choose not to use the auto connect with internet?

The F800 Pro has 2 parking modes. One it will record on the timer / battery voltage cut off in either time lapse or motion once the timer or battery level is reached it will stop recording full stop). Or if you choose energy saving mode (not as good IMO but much less battery used) the camera is off but it will wake up & record within 1 second of an impact.
Ok, so which one is it that records ten seconds prior and ten seconds after an incident? Is that the time lapse or something?

Yes but then you get an annoying flashing blue light ware it’s trying to connect
So you can’t turn the WiFi option off when you don’t want to use it? It’s just always on and trying to connect to something?

Back