Just bought one ... card to use and setup tweaks / firmware

L1011

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought one of these and am somewhat terrified by all the problems that people seem to be having with them.
Straight out of the box what settings should I change, it has the latest firmware as of mid February when I bought it.

The big question what is the best sd card to use? I did order a Sandisk 128gb but cancelled as from researching this card specifically "seems" to have a lot of issues with the camera.
What should I be looking at ? I am opting for the 128 simply due to the memory switching problems.

Did I read something about plugging straight into the camera usb for power and bypassing the sometimes flaky mount input?

The most recommended card here which is what I use is the Samsung 64 GB Pro Plus (NOT the Evo). Going eBay price from US vendors buy it now is around $45US. You'll need to check local UK ones. At the highest resolution, you get about 5 hours. That is enough for me - I don't currently use the second card slot. The card works flawlessly versus the other I tried which result in the infamous '3 beep' problem.

As far as power, I have tried both ways and not seen any difference in the GPS lock time. So I plug into the GPS unit. That is one less thing to worry about should I want to slide the cam in or out (versus having to plug and unplug power before sliding). No problems powering the base unit.

Don't recollect changing any of the setting from factory other than having it record 5 mins per file instead of 1 (loop setting), resolution of 1296p30, date/time stamping, gps stamping on, speed stamping mph (you want kph). When you are done doing whatever you want to do with the SD card if anything, put it in the unit and use the format function on the display to format the card.

Last edited:
I've just bought one of these and am somewhat terrified by all the problems that people seem to be having with them.
Straight out of the box what settings should I change, it has the latest firmware as of mid February when I bought it.
My only changes to settings are: use 3 min files, time zone, screen off in 30 seconds, CARD A ONLY
, & flipped display

The big question what is the best sd card to use?
Anything that's very fast , stable, & < 128GB.

I did order a Sandisk 128gb but cancelled as from researching this card specifically "seems" to have a lot of issues with the camera.
What should I be looking at ? I am opting for the 128 simply due to the memory switching problems.
The cam does seem to have some issues with 128GB. I'm using a SanDisk Ultra Plus C10 128GB SD (bought & B&M store & verified). It works OK, but not perfect. Cam throws an occasional 'Card size limit exceeded' error with the 128GB and my card seems to have some storage areas that the cam doesn't like - particularly the beginning of the card(first 10-15GB). People seem to have best luck with fast/quality 64GB. DO NOT BUY ANY SD CARDS FROM fleaBay. Most are fake/counterfeit. And, DO NOT format card in cam.

Did I read something about plugging straight into the camera usb for power and bypassing the sometimes flaky mount input?
I have had no issues with the GPS/power mount. I do avoid removing the cam unless absolutely necessary to try to preserve the mount. I usually offload vids onto my phone via a cable with cam still mounted, but will sometimes remove cam and offload via cable to PC.

The EVO 'Plus' is faster than the standard EVO....and these cams demand 'fast'
And the PRO (not EVO) & PRO Plus are even better, but I believe require U3 to reach full speed and the 0806 doesn't support U3 (IIRC).

Back