Just bought the Blackvue, I have a question about the Android app

Hadrian

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why does the app need permission to change so many things on my phone? And more specifically why does it need to make phone calls? Is this just my inner paranoid luddite overreacting?
I don't really like the idea of giving it carte blanche to make changes to whatever strikes its fancy.
And thanks in advance for any illumination provided.

Last edited:
Why does the app need permission to change so many things on my phone? And more specifically why does it need to make phone calls? Is this just my inner paranoid luddite overreacting?
I don't really like the idea of iving it carte blanche to make changes to whatever stikes its fancy.
And thanks in advance for any ilumination provided.

I have installed this app on my Samsung S3 and it does not make calls neither did it ask for any permissions to make any changes to my phone ... where did you download the app from ?

I have the Note 3 and I got the app from the playstore. It gave me a long laundry list of things it needed approval for. Including making phone calls. It just struck me as odd.

I have the Note 3 and I got the app from the playstore. It gave me a long laundry list of things it needed approval for. Including making phone calls. It just struck me as odd.

I didn't see any of that and I have used it a few times now and it does not appear to be doing anything odd.

Correct, after the install button is pushed, you get the list of changes it want's to make.

it would only give that info when you install the app, you'd never see it again

Well, "never" isn't the correct word. You can easily check the permissions through:

Settings > More > Application manager > [select app] App info

It's quite a list...

mcel9y.jpg

Look up other apps, I find a lot of apps have all sorts of permissions set for stuff they never use, perhaps it's something they'll offer in the future though

Its your phone not the app that does that. Does that on lots of apps especially "uncertified"ones.

Aaah, I see. That makes quite a bit of sense. Thank you all very much for the enlightenment. I will sally forth with the installation.
Perhaps they foresaw a need to contact the Emergency services if your accelerometer reaches a certain number, much like On-star.

Back