Just can not catch a break 2.0

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
So today i went to the ATM machine to withdraw some cash like usual, and then go shopping after that.
But the Machine just ate my card and said to contact my bank, and so i did.

Turn out last time i withdrew some money my card was skimmed, and abused after that, so no wonder some weird telephone number called me last week, that was the bank trying to tell my my card had been closed due to skimming / abuse.
So now i have to wait all thru Easter and then some i recon before i can get some cash without like today go and borrow some money from my little sister.

But the lady on the phone was very nice, telling me first, you can just use our mobile pay APP, to which i said i sure can not.
Then she said, well then you have to use your visa card, to which i replied yes if only i know the pin for it, but that code was burned the moment i got it as i don't use a card to play for anything but online.
So we agreed she making a new banking card for me, one that apparently can not be skimmed, and not to send me a new visa card + pin CUZ it expire soon anyway, and no matter what i will only use that for online shopping.
And now as my regular banking card will be skimming proof, i can again set fire to the pin code for the new visa card when it get renewed.

Just annoy the hell out of me now i dident ask how much they stolen from me/ the bank, but apparently i don't have to do anything and my money are where they are supposed to be, and in the correct amounts.
I still like to know anyhow as i see it as theft from me personally, and from my last ATM printout i can see there was +13.000 DKKr ( 1881 USD ) in my account when i left the machine, and i would like to frack someone up to the tune of the correct amount + interest and damages.
So black hatters / thieves and other creepy characters better stay well clear of me for a while, cuz my thirst for blood are a lot higher than usual.

Last edited:
I have been using Google Pay.
Just unlock my phone,hold it to the terminal and a single use token is generated makes the payment and expires.
No information is left with the seller.
It doesn't work everywhere and may not be your cup of tea but I know it is fairly secure and I like it.
Careful with the blood letting, ya know Covid 19 and all :vamp:

So today i went to the ATM machine to withdraw some cash like usual, and then go shopping after that.
But the Machine just ate my card and said to contact my bank, and so i did.

Turn out last time i withdrew some money my card was skimmed, and abused after that, so no wonder some weird telephone number called me last week, that was the bank trying to tell my my card had been closed due to skimming / abuse.
So now i have to wait all thru Easter and then some i recon before i can get some cash without like today go and borrow some money from my little sister.

But the lady on the phone was very nice, telling me first, you can just use our mobile pay APP, to which i said i sure can not.
Then she said, well then you have to use your visa card, to which i replied yes if only i know the pin for it, but that code was burned the moment i got it as i don't use a card to play for anything but online.
So we agreed she making a new banking card for me, one that apparently can not be skimmed, and not to send me a new visa card + pin CUZ it expire soon anyway, and no matter what i will only use that for online shopping.
And now as my regular banking card will be skimming proof, i can again set fire to the pin code for the new visa card when it get renewed.

Just annoy the hell out of me now i dident ask how much they stolen from me/ the bank, but apparently i don't have to do anything and my money are where they are supposed to be, and in the correct amounts.
I still like to know anyhow as i see it as theft from me personally, and from my last ATM printout i can see there was +13.000 DKKr ( 1881 USD ) in my account when i left the machine, and i would like to frack someone up to the tune of the correct amount + interest and damages.
So black hatters / thieves and other creepy characters better stay well clear of me for a while, cuz my thirst for blood are a lot higher than usual.

Been there, done that, it sucks. Family had our phones cloned and ran up around equivalent of 18,000 DK in 24 hours. Good times. Also messed up when I was really tired and entered credit card info into scam site. Didn't pay attention to the url I clicked and my card got used in Hong Kong, etc.

It happens. Pain in the ass, stressful, but happens. I empathize.

Last edited:
I have been using Google Pay.
Just unlock my phone,hold it to the terminal and a single use token is generated makes the payment and expires.

I need to start finding grocery stores that use google or apple pay. I use Apple but do have a spare android phone. No more germs with handling cash or atm buttons.

Just spoke to my bank again, and it seem like no money was withdrawn from my account, and my card just got closed as a precautionary measure as the ATM had been "violated"
So that's nice to know :) still if i encounter a not nice person, i will still vent a little penned up anger on him.

Just spoke to my bank again, and it seem like no money was withdrawn from my account, and my card just got closed as a precautionary measure as the ATM had been "violated"
So that's nice to know :) still if i encounter a not nice person, i will still vent a little penned up anger on him.

So was the part about withdrawing money and card being skimmed accurate? Or nothing had been done to your account what so ever?

No not mine account, just the ATM i used had been fitted with a skimmer ( i assume someone saw it and called the cops or bank about it )
But to be sure everyone using the machine that day have had their cards locked.

I was also a bit confused cuz i am totally aware of this issue, and always look over the ATM machine before i put my card in it, and i also cover the keyboard as i type in the code.
Actually i gave my little sister a course it in yesterday too as she had to withdraw 1000 DKkr for me to borrow, so i told her how it work and what to look out for.

No not mine account, just the ATM i used had been fitted with a skimmer ( i assume someone saw it and called the cops or bank about it )
But to be sure everyone using the machine that day have had their cards locked.

I was also a bit confused cuz i am totally aware of this issue, and always look over the ATM machine before i put my card in it, and i also cover the keyboard as i type in the code.
Actually i gave my little sister a course it in yesterday too as she had to withdraw 1000 DKkr for me to borrow, so i told her how it work and what to look out for.

Identity theft is easy to perpetrate. As I said, years ago, my family took our cell phones to a store to be looked at and one of the employees cloned the MSID and ran up around $2500 USD / 18,000 DK in 24-48 hours.

And of course my stupidity i clicked on a bad URL when tired and logged into a spoof site instead. Had CC used overseas in Hong Kong.

Aside from Skimmers, think of places where you hand over a credit card. Nothing stops an employee from copying the numbers and using the card. Especially at restaurants.

I'm tech savvy but even the best of us have our moments where we're not at peak performance. And then some scenarios are simply trust based and there's no way to avoid. Glad you weren't one of the victims.

Last edited:
Indeed it is one of the reasons i stopped using plastic in the late 80ties, it is too easy to rip off.

you can rip of off the info printed on the card.
You can skim the magnetic strip on the card.
You can also skim / clone the RFID chip on the card.

At least it take a bit more making fake cash, so i stick to that.

I've got a non-driving friend who drinks a little too much a little too often, and about twice a year his credit card gets lost, stolen, or scammed and he has to call on me for some cash to tide him over till it all gets sorted out. That can take a month or more to get fully resolved :eek: Even my pre-paid debit cards I use for online purchases get hacked once in awhile, which is weird because the number prefix for these is specific for them alone, and there's never any real money on these cards until you load it onto them, plus they have a limit on how much you can load. The prefix numbers are well-known to hackers so they usually avoid them as it's just as easy to go for 'bigger fish' where more money can be had :p I'm old fashioned so I use cash wherever possible. I know how much I have without question or worry, and if anyone tries to steal it I know about that and I prevent it from happening myself. When times are bad or things go wrong, cash is king and always will be :cool:

Phil

Yep Google pay is the go, have been using it for as long as it has been available

I would never use Google Pay, the weak spot is the phone. Most phone manufacturers provide security updates for 1 year if you are lucky, after that you are running an insecure version.

Yes.
I am also wondering how EU will allow this practice of almost abandoning your product the moment it launch, it make no sense for customers, and it sure as hell don't make sense for the environment.
Its a catch 22 cuz making phones some place create jobs there, and that is of course good, but when they crank out new models every year or so, and people buy them even though they have a perfectly fine phone, that challenge other things in relation to how i look at the world.

Consumer society have run amok, and really it is not benefiting the consumers i think.

I finally became operational with my new banking card yesterday, and it even have Visa build in so now i have 2 of those :) but apparently there is no way around that with my bank now.
My card that got eaten was just a regular banking card to withdraw money with in a ATM machine ( you can not do it in the bank itself anymore as they have no money inside )

IMO there is a clear agenda of forcing people to go all digital, and i don't do well with being forced to do anything, even if it make sense to me.
I am totally okay with me entering a situation where i am forced to do some things, like a job, or entering a relationship which also force you to look a bit further than your own nose.
And while i very much like dogs, i have also realized that it force me into somethings i cant deal with in the long run, so i will never get a dog of my own cuz i will not be my own definition of a bad dog owner.

Yes.
I am also wondering how EU will allow this practice of almost abandoning your product the moment it launch, it make no sense for customers, and it sure as hell don't make sense for the environment.
Its a catch 22 cuz making phones some place create jobs there, and that is of course good, but when they crank out new models every year or so, and people buy them even though they have a perfectly fine phone, that challenge other things in relation to how i look at the world.

Consumer society have run amok, and really it is not benefiting the consumers i think.

I finally became operational with my new banking card yesterday, and it even have Visa build in so now i have 2 of those :) but apparently there is no way around that with my bank now.
My card that got eaten was just a regular banking card to withdraw money with in a ATM machine ( you can not do it in the bank itself anymore as they have no money inside )

IMO there is a clear agenda of forcing people to go all digital, and i don't do well with being forced to do anything, even if it make sense to me.
I am totally okay with me entering a situation where i am forced to do some things, like a job, or entering a relationship which also force you to look a bit further than your own nose.
And while i very much like dogs, i have also realized that it force me into somethings i cant deal with in the long run, so i will never get a dog of my own cuz i will not be my own definition of a bad dog owner.

Technology has caveats. Look at places like UK which are a nanny state with Speed Cameras, License Plate Cameras, and cameras all around. China has the great firewall and basically snoops and censors its citizens.

You aren't going to escape technology and its reaches or overreaches. There's no turning back the hands of time to the early 1990s and before. So we have to embrace change and try to educate people about being digitally savvy. Older generations resistant to change will eventually be replaced by those who grew up with tech. In the mean time, I do think most android manufacturers push updates, even if running a version or two of outdated android. But yes, the end of life support does plague older OS's. People running Windows XP and Vista can't expect Microsoft to continually add security updates, just like manufacturers and software developers aren't going cater to someone running Android 4.0

I would never use Google Pay, the weak spot is the phone. Most phone manufacturers provide security updates for 1 year if you are lucky, after that you are running an insecure version.

I have Android one handsets, they're updated constantly

My Fu young ping ( xiaomi MI 9 ) phone get upgraded to March level security in a week or two.
The android one models are probably the stuff to go for.

Back