Just Flaky

edmscan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S-2CH
I have to say .. I have had my DR900D 2 CH for a while now and honestly I cannot trust it other than when I am driving. It seems to shut down quite often. I do not have an external battery .. but at $400 for an external battery it is tough to justify. I am using a PMP set at 12V. I should note that temperature is not an issue .. it was right around the freezing mark here this morning so heat is not an issue. My parking mode is set to time lapse mode and I find that it is unlikely that it will actually record a whole night. Even today at work .. it appears that it shut off.

How far of a drive is it from your house to work? How much time do you spend on the road daily? The reason I ask is mine did the same thing and I discovered that it was shutting down with the PMP in use because I wasn't driving enough to fully charge my battery. What I did was purchase a Genius trickle charger on my battery and each night just clip it to my battery to give it a full charge. From that point on I have had my camera, (the same as yours, a DR900S 2-CH) stay on for up to 10+ hours.

How far of a drive is it from your house to work? How much time do you spend on the road daily? The reason I ask is mine did the same thing and I discovered that it was shutting down with the PMP in use because I wasn't driving enough to fully charge my battery. What I did was purchase a Genius trickle charger on my battery and each night just clip it to my battery to give it a full charge. From that point on I have had my camera, (the same as yours, a DR900S 2-CH) stay on for up to 10+ hours.

It is about a 15 km drive (about 9 miles) or about a 25 min drive. Time on the road daily .. about an hour.

It is about a 15 km drive (about 9 miles) or about a 25 min drive. Time on the road daily .. about an hour.

Like Jokiin said above, this may not be enough driving time. I too thought my short drive didn't matter once until I heard it from two different people; one was the company I purchased my camera from and the second was from a vehicle repair shop. I was told that a solid, 1 hour drive should normally completely charge your battery, depending on the battery's age and condition of course.

Thanks for the comments. Btw .. my battery was showing 12.84 volts with the vehicle turned off .. so I understand that is fine. I will check it a few more times to see what the voltages are. All I know ... is that I am unable to go a night without it shutting down.

Last edited:
Back