Just got my GT300W!

natas420

Reaction score
Country
United States
I ordered mine off Alibaba.com. I got it really fast...like exactly 7 days from Hong Kong to USA (California)..that's pretty fast w/ respect to customs, etc.

Unit appears to be solidly built..doesn't feel cheap, but seems to exactly what I ordered: a small HD dashcam. Under California Law, per V.C. 26708 (article?) 13, you may mount a dash cam in a 7-inch square in the corner farthest the driver, a 5-inch square in lower corner nearest the driver and outside an airbag deployment area, or one may mount it within a 5 inch square area center uppermost portion of the inside of the windshield. Originally I was thinking out mounting it up high behind the rearview mirror, but for now I have decided to mount it on the dash. The product came with 2 mounts: 1 suction mount, and 1 adhesive mount that was a little shorter. The suction mount, from the way it's molded does have limited range: Facing one way, the suction mount will allow level to down movement via the ball-mount joint, and facing the other way, the mount will allow level to upwward movement..not a big deal. I used the suction mount and positioned it as far back on the dash I could (slightly sloped up), so I can have both a little upward and downward adjustment if needed.

I used earthquake putty (I have a textured dash so the suction won't work) and basically secured the suction mount on to the dash by pulling the putty along base of the mount and where it meets the dash, pulling the putty along to the dash, and pressing down to make sure it sticks well. The mount stayed in one spot, yet was still adjustable if you turned it hard enough. My view was unobstructed, so that won't be an issue.

The camera, is actually supposed to be mounted from the top, per the mounts they give you; however, the menu has an option to flip the menu. The video will stay right side up regardless of camera rotation, so using it upside down is just fine, and works great. Reviewing the MOV's in VLC the video looks great, is right side up, and I get to see all the stupid mistakes people make, myself included.

I had a Sandisk 32gb class 10 laying around, popped that in, and set the unit to record at 5 min intervals, full 1080p. I went out for a test drive and reviewed the test drive and Taco Bell purchase, and there were NO GAPS in the video. In fact the new video included 1/2-1sec of the prev video.

I love the video quality both Daytime and night. I was driving right in the sun, and from looking at the video, it seemed that alot of the glare was cut out, kinda like when you have sunglasses on..so it's very good whenever time of day or night you drive. Just wanted to share this as I decided to go with the GT300W as it is the same as the DOD model but is significantly less expensive. :geek:

Of course its up to individual needs where to mount a dash camera, but the higher you mount it, - the more vertical angle you will be able to record. Try to stop behind a car some short distance ( 1-2 metre ) and you will see that with dash cam mounted on the dash, - you will not be able to record other car licence plate. However if dash camera is mounted near rearview mirror area, - then your dash cam will record a numberplate. For me it's all about capturing vital data like numberplates if in future I need to prove something. But of course everybody has different needs. Just wanted to share my opinion on mount position.

I got it pointed level..it's the mount that's at a slightly backward tilt along the end slope of the dash above the radio away from the windshield, to offset the way the s curve shape of the suction mount arms to allow some up and down movement otherwise I'm restricted to just one range of motion.

Niko, I can totally see your point mounting up high and totally agree, and I'm probably going to do that..just wanted to try it out first, see how it performed, etc. Mounting up high could probably yield an extra 3-4 inches back thereby gaining more field of view--like you said, pulled up behind a car, the cars on either side will not show the plate, curvature of extreme lens/dash will prevent that and even mounting higher, the plates may very well be out of the extreme leftmost or rightmost fields of view..but placing high up and slightly back will eliminate the lower obstacles such as the dashboard/wipers and show area right around side mirrors/fenders...I just hope I can have it mounted to take advantage of this wider view but also be able to get a section of the hood for reference, but I don't know if that will screw up the horizon position..I'll find out..Thank's for your input, I appreciate it.

Who needs cable TV, when there is a freeway and a dashcam?

-j

natas420 said:
I got it pointed level..it's the mount that's at a slightly backward tilt along the end slope of the dash above the radio away from the windshield, to offset the way the s curve shape of the suction mount arms to allow some up and down movement otherwise I'm restricted to just one range of motion.

Niko, I can totally see your point mounting up high and totally agree, and I'm probably going to do that..just wanted to try it out first, see how it performed, etc. Mounting up high could probably yield an extra 3-4 inches back thereby gaining more field of view--like you said, pulled up behind a car, the cars on either side will not show the plate, curvature of extreme lens/dash will prevent that and even mounting higher, the plates may very well be out of the extreme leftmost or rightmost fields of view..but placing high up and slightly back will eliminate the lower obstacles such as the dashboard/wipers and show area right around side mirrors/fenders...I just hope I can have it mounted to take advantage of this wider view but also be able to get a section of the hood for reference, but I don't know if that will screw up the horizon position..I'll find out..Thank's for your input, I appreciate it.

Who needs cable TV, when there is a freeway and a dashcam?

-j

We all here test'n'try and share ideas.
Just out of curiosity: you location says Kalifornia with "K". Is it some "other" city to California USA?

Just me being a Smart Alec. I'm from the Bay Area in California. Lots of crazy people here.

Niko, if you're still up I'll post a vid on youtube if you wanna see it..but not sure if thats allowed to post the link?

natas420 said:
Just me being a Smart Alec. I'm from the Bay Area in California. Lots of crazy people here.

Ok, I might see your point why used "K". Now learned something new today :)

natas420 said:
Niko, if you're still up I'll post a vid on youtube if you wanna see it..but not sure if thats allowed to post the link?

If video comply with youtube and dashcamtalk rules, then there is no worries to post it.

natas420 said:
Here's nighttime:

Nighttime

I think I want to move to Russia. Too boring here in US.

-j

Night time rec is also typical to this series dash cams. Does what it supposed to do.

@ move to Russia. - is it because of action on the roads out there? :)
I watch Russian tg road news every day and believe me - its much better if you live in the area where nothing ( or almost nothing) happens on the roads. Nobody like to be involved it those accidents what we see on tv.

niko said:
I watch Russian tg road news every day and believe me - its much better if you live in the area where nothing ( or almost nothing) happens on the roads. Nobody like to be involved it those accidents what we see on tv.

I've only spent a week in Russia but every day was an adventure on the roads there

jokiin said:
niko said:

I've only spent a week in Russia but every day was an adventure on the roads there

5min on the road in many parts of Russia can cause pressure comparing to 1 week driving elsewhere.
The only way i would feel comfortable in russia is driving a heavy-load truck.

It's interesting to just watch people/cars; Just park in an innocuous area and just watch the scene unfold. Yeah I would love to see more action, but definitely not be involved in it--but be able to help out if need be.

-j

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Belial88 GT300W 21
B GT300W 0
old GT300W 0
J GT300W 11
I GT300W 4
Back