Just got my SG9663DCPro Installed and have a question about Dashcam Viewer

SummerFun

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9663DCPro
Not sure if this question is actually posted in the right place, but I just wanted to say first that I'm so excited to have received my SG9663DCPro!! This is my first DC and I think it's going to be very handy to have, especially for long road trips. I had it professionally installed yesterday and I'm thrilled with it. I've upgraded the firmware, completed the online registration, and read the manual. I changed the settings for date/time, time zone, speed unit and loop recording, but I left everything else alone for now. I figure SG knew what they were doing when they decided what the default should be for each option. lol

Now I have to figure out where to install my toll responder (it's called PikePass here in Oklahoma). I had removed the old one and ordered a replacement because I knew the one I had would be in the way. I temporarily taped the new one to the windshield today and checked my camera files, only to find out that it's definitely in the way of the camera. I'm so glad I didn't actually mount it yet (you can't remove the Pikepass without destroying it once it's permanently mounted). The Pikepass instructions said to place it 1/2" below the rear view mirror since the mirror is on the windshield. The DC is left of the mirror (not exactly where I wanted it, but that's where the installer put it. lol). Is there a recommendation of where it would need to go to stay out of the video? I guess my question really is about the viewing range of the camera. If I mount the Pikepass directly below the DC, will the camera pick it up? I was hoping you could guide me so I wouldn't have to do lots of trial and error with it.

Next question is about the installation of the CPL. The installer didn't put the CPL on, so I need to take the camera off the mount in order to put the CPL on. I figured the camera would slide up to remove it, but I haven't been able to get it to budge. Can you tell me how to remove the camera from the mount? I'm really afraid of breaking something if I try to force it. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the rear camera slides to the side, but the front camera slides up. Is that correct?

The installer also didn't install the EVA foam pad. I've forgotten the reason for the pad. Does that need to be installed on a new camera, or only if the camera is loose in the mount?

Last question is about the "Dashcam Viewer" software that I got from the SG website. When I open it, it wants me to download and install K-Lite Codec software. As soon as I click on the link for the software, the DashCam Viewer software appears to open (even though the Codec hasn't been installed). It shows that it's processing the files when I select the directory, but I can't seem to get the files to play. I started to do the installation of the K-Lite, but its asking things about the decoding method to use, audio decoder output and other things I'm not sure about. Is it safe to take the defaults on this installation, or will it mess up other setting for other programs? Is it possible to use Dashcam Viewer without this Codec and if so, how do I get it to play the files? They play just fine in Windows Media player when I click on the file names, but I assume this viewer software will give me other options to export or convert the files? Just want to make sure I'm not going to create a bunch of problems for other programs by installing this Codec.

Thanks for your help!

No one size answer for the first part, trial and error is all you can do for placement of Pikepass near by.

You push in and up to remove the camera. There is a T shaped peg on the mount and a T shaped keyhole on the back of the dashcam.

Install the EVA foam for sure, it won't be a problem for a few months. (rattle)

Install the K-Lite basic package. Any higher version will come bundled with stuff you don't want. The defaults are ok. The developer was not able to make the freeware codec part of the installation since payment is involved.
(Street Guardian paid for the license, DashcamViewer.com is normally a $25 app)

Thank you so much! I'll get the Codec installed and, as soon as the weather warms up, I'll try to get the camera off the mount so I can install the EVA foam. I'll have to play around with the Pikepass and the camera to try to find a position that doesn't show up in the camera but is still readable by the Pikepass toll gates. Thanks!

...I'll try to get the camera off the mount so I can install the EVA foam....
Don't obsess about the EVA pad - you may never need it. If it's tight enough that you're having difficulty getting it off the mount there's a good chance you'll never need the EVA. Just let things be as they are and only do the EVA if the camera starts vibrating/rattling in the mount.

Toll transponders are usually mounted above the roadway, so a low windshield install might work- it's something you just need to play with. Before actual mounting do check all other devices for proper functionality (dashcam, GPS, car radio etc) in case there's an interference issue.That happens sometimes.

Phil

The mounting instructions for the Pikepass have it placed up high on the windshield, but I'll play around with it and see if I can put it low or further to the side. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up before I spend time sitting in the car playing with it. lol I'm surprised at how small the new transponder is. The originals were about the size of a deck of cards, then the next ones were the size of a credit card. This new one is only about 1.5" wide and 3.25" long.

The "buzzers" we have here to automatic bill you for the few bridges that you have to pay for, they actually recommend to place the thing right where a dashcam would be placed most ideal,
BUT as they are RFID i think then i cant see why they could not be placed down low on the windscreen.

Back