Just like its predecessor 0803, the video quality still sucks

V8Rocks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just made short video of walking toward my parked car with "oldies but goldies" 0801 and "new and improved" 0805. Unfortunately, 0805 is not looking good.

0801 footage looks more or less like photograph: natural and smooth color rendering, no jagged edges, plate readable at 20 ft.

0805 footage still looks like 0803 with traces of aqua color rendering, like image consists of bunch of mosaic put together, jagged edges, plate readable at 15 ft. The aqua rendering is not as prominent and awful as on early 0803, but still present, although it looks more like sensor noise now, but it is not noise for sure. Some may even perceive this noise as sharper image, but it is not.

Still debating if I should return 0805, still can.

Last edited:
Make sure you are viewing it on a full 1080 monitor, the jagged edges are normally created by the resizing algorithms used to fit the video onto low resolution laptop screens, it is less noticeable on the 0801 because the image is a little blurry to start with. If you want the plates to be significantly more readable then you should use the 21:9 mode and be prepared to zoom in to full resolution.

My monitor is 1920x1200. I am not after reading plates really, it is just an observation. I compared 0801 and 0805 in 1080p mode. Do not take "sucks" as absolute measure. Other cams, even more expensive produce awful video quality, not even close to any 080X. I was expecting an improvement from 0805, but it seems it still struggles to beat 0801. Maybe HDR would help at night and higher capacity media is a plus.

My monitor is 1920x1200. I am not after reading plates really, it is just an observation. I compared 0801 and 0805 in 1080p mode. Do not take "sucks" as absolute measure. Other cams, even more expensive produce awful video quality, not even close to any 080X. I was expecting an improvement from 0805, but it seems it still struggles to beat 0801. Maybe HDR would help at night and higher capacity media is a plus.
Not a good size monitor for watching 1080 video unless you view it full screen with black bars top and bottom.

In my experience the night video is better without the HDR.

This is an enlarged comparison between 0806 and 0801, the 0805 has the same sensor as the 0806 so shouldn't be far off:
Taxi.jpg

Just made short video of walking toward my parked car with "oldies but goldies" 0801 and "new and improved" 0805. Unfortunately, 0805 is not looking good.

0801 footage looks more or less like photograph: natural and smooth color rendering, no jagged edges, plate readable at 20 ft.

0805 footage still looks like 0803 with traces of aqua color rendering, like image consists of bunch of mosaic put together, jagged edges, plate readable at 15 ft. The aqua rendering is not as prominent and awful as on early 0803, but still present, although it looks more like sensor noise now, but it is not noise for sure. Some may even perceive this noise as sharper image, but it is not.

Still debating if I should return 0805, still can.

I think you have a faulty unit. The picture on our 0805 is outstanding on our PC & superb in Full HD on our Samsung TV. I'd return it.

This is an enlarged comparison between 0806 and 0801, the 0805 has the same sensor as the 0806 so shouldn't be far off:
Taxi.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist -- both images show horrible colour accuracy. The "silver top" taxi clearly has a green top in the picture. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back