Just purchased DR650GW-1CH for 2014 ML350

iBud

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR650GW-1CH
Aloha everyone,

I'm currently located in Hawaii (hence the "Aloha"), and just placed my order for the DR650GW-1CH dash cam for my vehicle. Do any of y'all have a W166 (2012-present) M-class Mercedes? If so, which fuse box did y'all use for hardwiring? I'm really stoked about this purchase and can't wait to install it and use it. My wife got t-boned in this car a while back and I wish I had this dash cam then. We could've instantly shown the police officer that she had the green light and the exact speed at which she was traveling. I'm not sure if any of the other vehicle would've even been on the video, as the hit was between the front and rear doors, but she could've instantly shown the police that she was clearly in the right. I've done a ton of research and seen the YouTube videos that some of y'all have posted. Thanks or all the information.

Last edited:
If you are using the power magic pro we would use the fuse box under the back seat (passenger's side) it's easy to access and work with.
I believe the fuse box that's on the side of the dashboard only has always on fuses for this generation ML so the PMP won't know how to switch into parking mode.
With the Multi Safer you can use the always on fuses (only connect yellow wire) but PMP requires both constant and ignition switched power.

If you are using the power magic pro we would use the fuse box under the back seat (passenger's side) it's easy to access and work with.
I believe the fuse box that's on the side of the dashboard only has always on fuses for this generation ML so the PMP won't know how to switch into parking mode.
With the Multi Safer you can use the always on fuses (only connect yellow wire) but PMP requires both constant and ignition switched power.

Aloha BlackboxMyCar! Has your shop installed a PMP in an ML350 (W166 is 2012-present), or do you know someone who has? I haven't measured - I was going to measure as soon as I got home today - but need to verify that the power cable can reach around the windshield and across to the back of the rear door then down to the seat. I looked at the assortment of fuses in the fuse box under the rear seats and there seems to be more than enough from which to choose - both switched and constant.

As for the add-a-fuse adapters, what is your suggestion for amps on the included fuse? I've seen some on Amazon with 15a included fuses, but another user here suggested a 2a fuse.

Again, thanks for your response. This forum is really good about that. Good information, timely responses, and an overall great feel.

I forgot to add that I ordered the PMP with the DR650GW-1CH. I wasn't aware of the Multi Safer until after I placed my order. Either way, my new dash cam will work just fine.

Aloha BlackboxMyCar! Has your shop installed a PMP in an ML350 (W166 is 2012-present), or do you know someone who has? I haven't measured - I was going to measure as soon as I got home today - but need to verify that the power cable can reach around the windshield and across to the back of the rear door then down to the seat. I looked at the assortment of fuses in the fuse box under the rear seats and there seems to be more than enough from which to choose - both switched and constant.

As for the add-a-fuse adapters, what is your suggestion for amps on the included fuse? I've seen some on Amazon with 15a included fuses, but another user here suggested a 2a fuse.

Again, thanks for your response. This forum is really good about that. Good information, timely responses, and an overall great feel.

I forgot to add that I ordered the PMP with the DR650GW-1CH. I wasn't aware of the Multi Safer until after I placed my order. Either way, my new dash cam will work just fine.

The Blackvue cigarette cable is long enough to reach from behind the passenger's seat. This cable is long enough to reach even on rear mounted fuse boxes (behind the taillight) such as on Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300, BMW 5 series, etc.

That being said, if anyone else is curious and stumbled upon this thread, many dashcam power cables won't reach all the way and the 10-12 feet cables supplied with certain models won't be long enough to tuck neatly

Aloha everyone,

My coworker and I just completed our check of the rear seat fuse box. I've identified several potential candidates, but would like to hear if y'all think I'm going down the right path. Here are the potential candidates:

Constant Power
Fuse Amps Purpose
127 30a Driver seat controls
129 30a Passenger seat controls
153 25a Outlet 15v - AC converter

Switched Power
Fuse Amps Purpose
147 30a Radio/COMAND/Audio/Navigation
148 15a Cigarette lighter/Output
150 20a Outlet 12v, Trunk area

Of the ones mentioned above, I was considering using 153 for constant power and 150 for switched power. I'm not a smoker, so I could also use 148.

The final remaining questions I have are concerning the fuses to be used in the add-a-fuse adapter. I've seen one hookup with a 3a fuse, but I've seen them being sold on Amazon with 15a fuses. I've been told that dash cams don't require a lot of power, but what capacity fuse do y'all suggest? Also, I have a document that states the W166 uses both ATO and Maxi fuses, but doesn't specify which ones are used where. Does anyone know, or can anyone point me in the right direction to find out? I do know the ones in the rear sear fuse box need to have the "S" appended to the voltage stamped on the fuse.

Once again, thank you for all the responses.

Looks like you're on the right track. 153 and 148/150 would be good.
The outlets will still work as long as the fuse isn't blown.
MAXI fuses are most likely under the hood, the one in the fuse box under back seat will be ATO.
For the add-a-fuse slot, you can use as little as 2.5A or 5A with the dashcam. Realistically you're not gonna have problems if you used a 15A either though.
Keep in mind the Blackvue cigarette cable has an inline fuse as well

Looks like you're on the right track. 153 and 148/150 would be good.
The outlets will still work as long as the fuse isn't blown.
MAXI fuses are most likely under the hood, the one in the fuse box under back seat will be ATO.
For the add-a-fuse slot, you can use as little as 2.5A or 5A with the dashcam. Realistically you're not gonna have problems if you used a 15A either though.
Keep in mind the Blackvue cigarette cable has an inline fuse as well

Aloha BlackboxMyCar,

Thanks for your response. You mentioned an inline fuse for the power cable. Can you elaborate on that, please? How does that play into my scenario?

Well, I got the notification that it was delivered today! I'm working with a friend to get it hardwired - I still have to pick up the add-a-fuse adapters and a couple of 5a fuses, then select a good ground and all, but in the interim, I can install it and run the power around the windshield then up and over the front and rear doors, then down to the rear seats. I should have enough to run it to the power outlet in the back of the center console (between the front seats). It's about 10 feet routing it that way down to the rear seats, so if the power cable is longer than 12 feet, I'm good. I'll let y'all know when it's all fully installed (hardwired and everything). Thanks again for all the great information you've given me.

Aloha everybody! I installed my new dash cam last night and the nighttime video was simply amazing! It was far better than what I expected, especially since I had not upgraded to the 2.05 firmware. Video taken this morning on the way to work was pretty good, but I did see some pixelation on fast motion areas, such as the grass between the curb and the sidewalk. I've since downloaded and installed the new 2.05 firmware release, so I'll get to see 10Mbps bitrate and how that improves the video.

My wife is really pleased with our purchase (and that's really the bottom line), but she told me not to look at her speed when I review the files :D At the moment, I have the power cable routed along the top of the windshield towards the passenger side (that's the same side as the fuse box under the rear seat), across the top of the passenger front and rear doors, down the side of the rear door, then under the rear seats, and finally to the power outlet behind the center console. I did it that way because I don't have the add-a-circuit adapters yet - apparently the Car Quest guy thought to sell me something different. He had some argument like "that's not an OEM product, so of course we don't have them." This was after thoroughly explaining them over the phone. Oh well, there's a NAPA store near my house that has them, albeit at a higher price than I wanted to pay. Still, this is a one-time purchase and the Power Magic Pro can be transferred to any future vehicles we may own, so it'll be worth it.

Thanks again for the information y'all have provided me. This is a very nice acquisition, and I can't even see it when I drive. I really like the voice notifications. The viewer software, on the other hand ... I don't know if it's an anti-Mac thing or not, but I'm unable to size the window at all. I have a retina MacBook Pro and would like to take advantage of the entire screen, but that's not an option. Likewise, in the file listing, I am supposed to have right-click functionality, but nothing happens. I even plugged in a PC mouse (the Apple mice don't have buttons), but even then nothing happened with a right click.

I have a question about GPS. I noticed that my device doesn't get a lock immediately. in fact, it takes several minutes before I get a lock. When I am watching playback, in the viewer app, I noticed that the icon for my car on the map begins moving concurrently with the start of the video, even if there's no GPS lock. Consequently, on my drive around the block, the GPS had me at home when I was still 1/2 mile away. Has anyone else noticed this strange behavior?

UPDATE: I downloaded Registrator Viewer (Datakam Player) and was able to go full screen. It's a bit bare bones, but shows the video, a map overlay, and graphs of speed and various sensor data. The video window itself can't go full screen, as is the case with the BlackVue Viewer, so there's some give and take with either. I'm going to have to tweak the g-sensor limits a bit, but this is a really nice dash cam, in spite of the limitations of the viewer software.

Last edited:
I have a question about GPS. I noticed that my device doesn't get a lock immediately. in fact, it takes several minutes before I get a lock. When I am watching playback, in the viewer app, I noticed that the icon for my car on the map begins moving concurrently with the start of the video, even if there's no GPS lock. Consequently, on my drive around the block, the GPS had me at home when I was still 1/2 mile away. Has anyone else noticed this strange behavior?

UPDATE: I downloaded Registrator Viewer (Datakam Player) and was able to go full screen. It's a bit bare bones, but shows the video, a map overlay, and graphs of speed and various sensor data. The video window itself can't go full screen, as is the case with the BlackVue Viewer, so there's some give and take with either. I'm going to have to tweak the g-sensor limits a bit, but this is a really nice dash cam, in spite of the limitations of the viewer software.

My GPS lock is similar and does not lock as soon as one would think it should. It also seems to be intermittent.. and drops the connection at various times. I think the video as shown in the Registrator Viewer to be much better than that shown in the BlackVue viewer. I like the Registrator Viewer better because it combines the days video into one easily searched segment, not so easy with the OEM version.
Also one of my complaints is that this viewer does not have a true full screen mode.. yes, you can double click on the video and have it go full screen but even there you are not ever able to see the video at 100%. Because of this I believe it looses some quality as your video processor tries to show it at something less or more than 100%..98.7 or 101% etc. But..perhaps I am wrong..

Aloha Ralph2,

I was checking some of my other files and noticed the dropped GPS connection as well. I agree as well with your comment about the Registrator Viewer grouping a day's worth of footage as one. That's pretty nice.

I finally got my dash cam hardwired to my 2014 ML350. If anyone else would like to know what I did, or which fuses I'm using for the fuse taps, please just let me know. I'll be glad to share my experience with y'all. It really didn't take that long. I may even put some stuff up on YouTube, although driving here in Hawaii is kind of tame when compared to the mainland US. All I know is that my wife is pleased with the footage thus far, and with the absence of the 12v adapter being plugged in the power outlet behind the center console, she'll be even more pleased. Thanks again for all the responses to my many questions. The whole process was much easier than I imagined - all I needed was a little prodding and the right information.

Also one of my complaints is that this viewer does not have a true full screen mode.. yes, you can double click on the video and have it go full screen but even there you are not ever able to see the video at 100%. Because of this I believe it looses some quality as your video processor tries to show it at something less or more than 100%..98.7 or 101% etc. But..perhaps I am wrong..

Aloha Ralph2,

I think that's more a function of your screen's resolution than anything else. I have a 27" iMac running a resolution of 2560x1440. When I used the BlackVue Viewer and ran the video full screen, it was at 133.5%.

Aloha Ralph2,

I think that's more a function of your screen's resolution than anything else. I have a 27" iMac running a resolution of 2560x1440. When I used the BlackVue Viewer and ran the video full screen, it was at 133.5%.
I am under the impression that when you are displaying a picture or video at something different than 100% you are relying on your computer graphics card to extrapolate the extra detail.. (or remove some when <100). Because the Blackvue viewer does not seem capable of picking 100% it seems to me that from the start the video is compromised...

I finally got my dash cam hardwired to my 2014 ML350. If anyone else would like to know what I did, or which fuses I'm using for the fuse taps, please just let me know....The whole process was much easier than I imagined - all I needed was a little prodding and the right information.

Hi iBud, can you please advice where you connect the black ground wire in the rear underseat fuse box? Please post a photo of your hardwiring if possible. I am trying to install a CellinkB battery pack, which only has the accessory (switches power) and ground wires. Thanks in advance.

I have a question about GPS. I noticed that my device doesn't get a lock immediately.
My GPS lock is similar and does not lock as soon as one would think it should. It also seems to be intermittent.. and drops the connection at various times.

Does this applies to all DR650GW series? I had posted in another thread (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/posts/300471/) and so far our local retailer are conducting a survey. I hope it is blind spot or interference.

Back