Just replaced G1W-H batteries and now they won't turn on

Kimbosqueak

Reaction score
Country
United States
I replaced the battery in one of my G1W-H's last month and the camera wouldn't turn off when I unplugged it, so I had to manually turn it off every time. I learned this was because the battery was in good condition. I left it in my father's car, which automatically turns the camera on when it starts, and after a couple weeks, the camera wouldn't turn on. All I get is the blue LED and a black screen. I assumed the battery died as a result of the camera not turning off by itself. Last week, I replaced the battery in my second G1W-H and it also wouldn't turn off by itself. It was only on for a minute or so as I was just making sure the new battery worked, then I let it sit for a few days. When I plugged it in today, it wouldn't turn on. Same blue LED and black screen. I was hoping the batteries are simply discharged and not dead, so I have both cameras plugged in as we speak trying to charge the batteries. I resoldered the terminals beforehand just in case. Are the batteries truly dead or are they simply discharged? Is there something I need to do after replacing the batteries to avoid this?

I replaced the battery in one of my G1W-H's last month and the camera wouldn't turn off when I unplugged it, so I had to manually turn it off every time. I learned this was because the battery was in good condition. I left it in my father's car, which automatically turns the camera on when it starts, and after a couple weeks, the camera wouldn't turn on. All I get is the blue LED and a black screen. I assumed the battery died as a result of the camera not turning off by itself. Last week, I replaced the battery in my second G1W-H and it also wouldn't turn off by itself. It was only on for a minute or so as I was just making sure the new battery worked, then I let it sit for a few days. When I plugged it in today, it wouldn't turn on. Same blue LED and black screen. I was hoping the batteries are simply discharged and not dead, so I have both cameras plugged in as we speak trying to charge the batteries. I resoldered the terminals beforehand just in case. Are the batteries truly dead or are they simply discharged? Is there something I need to do after replacing the batteries to avoid this?

Try the reset button. Also, you can try disconnecting the battery for 30-60 seconds and then reconnecting. That can "sometimes" fix what you are experiencing.

Try the reset button. Also, you can try disconnecting the battery for 30-60 seconds and then reconnecting. That can "sometimes" fix what you are experiencing.

Thanks! That fixed the second camera. The first camera turned on as soon as I unplugged it.

Is there any way I can get them to turn off on their own so I don't have to turn them off every time? I'm thinking of using one of them in the rear of my car and/or giving one to a family member when she gets her license and her own car soon. I need them to behave like a stock G1W.

Thanks! That fixed the second camera. The first camera turned on as soon as I unplugged it.

Is there any way I can get them to turn off on their own so I don't have to turn them off every time? I'm thinking of using one of them in the rear of my car and/or giving one to a family member when she gets her license and her own car soon. I need them to behave like a stock G1W.

Glad to hear that it worked!...sort of. I'm not sure about the not turning off thing. The older G1W-H was a great camera for the money but they don't tend to last forever. Try turning them on and off a few times is a row. Also, check to make sure the power supplies are working properly. Do you have an alternative power source to try? The best you can do is to keep trying different things and maybe you'll get lucky.

Last edited:
Check the voltage on the battery as you plug in the PS; it should rise when the charging circuit activates. There's also a chance you got a bad battery from new. Swap batteries between working and not working cams then see if the problem follows the battery. There should be "power off" settings in the menu; select the shortest one. As a last resort you could attempt to reload the firmware in case it's got corrupted causing a no-start

I've got 2 G1W-HC (capacitor model) and one is beginning to have some issues but at 15 months age from a $35 cam being operated for long hours in high heat conditions it's not entirely unexpected. It seems that a short lifespan is fairly common issue with the cheaper cams.

Phil

Glad to hear that it worked!...sort of. I'm not sure about the not turning off thing. The older G1W-H was a great camera for the money but they don't tend to last forever. Try turning them on and off a few times is a row. Also, check to make sure the power supplies are working properly. Do you have an alternative power source to try? The best you can do is to keep trying different things and maybe you'll get lucky.

I tried turning one on and off and that didn't work. They behave the same way with multiple different power sources and cables.

Both cameras refused to turn on again yesterday, even though one of them was being used just fine the day before. Pressing the reset button did not fix either of them. I plugged in the one I've been using and it turned on when I unplugged it after a few minutes. The camera refused to turn on again this morning and is currently plugged in. It seems that the batteries inside the cameras like to discharge and have to be recharged again. These two cameras are proving to be an inconvenience with their new batteries. Are these issues common with battery replacements?

There's also a chance you got a bad battery from new.

I bought the batteries separately from two different websites, so I'm not sure about that.

I tried turning one on and off and that didn't work. They behave the same way with multiple different power sources and cables.

Both cameras refused to turn on again yesterday, even though one of them was being used just fine the day before. Pressing the reset button did not fix either of them. I plugged in the one I've been using and it turned on when I unplugged it after a few minutes. The camera refused to turn on again this morning and is currently plugged in. It seems that the batteries inside the cameras like to discharge and have to be recharged again. These two cameras are proving to be an inconvenience with their new batteries. Are these issues common with battery replacements?

I bought the batteries separately from two different websites, so I'm not sure about that.

Like I mentioned above, "The older G1W-H was a great camera for the money but they don't tend to last forever." The one I had died of similar symptoms after giving me great service for quite awhile. It's sounding like it might be time to look for a couple of new cameras. While the G1W-H is a good entry level camera (at least the original ones were) in the long run it's better to graduate to something a little better.

Although it remains to be seen how reliable they are the Aukey DR-02 is a very nice camera for the money (70 bucks) with super-capacitors and more up to date components. They are offered as a Lightning Deal on Amazon for about $52.00 from time to time if you keep your eye on it. There is also a dual channel version that might be a good value replacement for both of your G1W-H cams.

Of my 2 G1W-HC's, one is getting wonky after 15 months hard use. I presume the cam parts are similar to the battery "H" model ;) And for $35US I'm not complaining about it's lifespan. That's about $0.08 a day which is not bad in the grand scheme of things with any cam, much less a budget-level model like these :D

If you like the G1Wx form-factor another good choice is the G1W-S by Viofo :D A very different cam inside a similar case with the Sony IMX 323 sensor and priced near or below the Aukey. It's very well built and mine is still going strong about 8 months later. Daytime images aren't great but it excels at night which to me makes up for that and more. It's an oft-overlooked bargain :cool:

Phil

Thanks guys. I guess I'm just cheap and desperate enough to try to fix things before buying a new one. I ended up ordering a G1W-HC for ~$50 before I read the replies here. I'll keep these two in storage for emergency use.

I think you'll do OK with the HC- even my 'wonky' one still records as it should :) It's just that it's indicator light will go to solid red every 10-14 days, then you need to format the card before the next use or it won't record then. No missed recordings before that Not sure the cause of this since I've tried several tested good cards to the same end result. The other one never misses a beat ;) Good for a cheap cam.

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RushNY G1WX 4
Back