Just when needed -- complete failure of Nextbase 512G

It would be very useful if the camera could identify these errors and provide a warning.

It is - and it is the one recommended by the retailer who sold me the dashcam.

I am not sure if this is your card? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B0162YQG2I
The read speed is given as 45Mb/s and write speed of 10Mb/s which isn't going to be fast enough unfortunately (taken from Kingstons website).
Something's not right with that info. I've been using one of those cards for 2 years and 7 months in several dashcams and never once had such a problem. Or any problem whatsoever, for that matter.

......Kingston cards usually aren't fast enough for continuous recording......

I agree. Their fast on-paper figures are based on short bursts of read/write on an unfragmented card, not prolonged periods of write/overwrite with fragmentation.
Memory cards weren't developed for the heavy-duty needs of dashcams.

I find Samsung and Transcend cards are good workhorses in most dashcams.

I agree. Their fast on-paper figures are based on short bursts of read/write on an unfragmented card, not prolonged periods of write/overwrite with fragmentation.
Memory cards weren't developed for the heavy-duty needs of dashcams.

I find Samsung and Transcend cards are good workhorses in most dashcams.
I've just compared mine to the image on the amazon link NextBase Tiffany posted and the latter seems a bit fake, to be honest.

Last edited:
I bought my card from Argos and it looks identical, so I expect it is genuine.

I will explain why it is so important:

For the 212 (each model will be slightly different) each 3 minute file is around 360Mb,
There are 8 bits in a byte, so 360 x 8 = 2880 Megabits of information to write to the card over the 3 minute period,
There are 60 x 3 = 180 seconds in 3 minutes,
This means that 2880 Megabits need to be written over 180 seconds leaving an absolute minimum write speed of 16Mb/s.

That of course would still struggle to perform the loop/overwriting function, your cards write speed is not capable of writing HD files unfortunately.
To perform the loop/obsessive rewriting that dash cams need we recommed 48Mb/s or more.

Last edited:
I will explain why it is so important:

For the 212 (each model will be slightly different) each 3 minute file is around 360Mb,
There are 8 bits in a byte, so 360 x 8 = 2880 Megabits of information to write to the card over the 3 minute period,
There are 60 x 3 = 180 seconds in 3 minutes,
This means that 2880 Megabits need to be written over 180 seconds leaving an absolute minimum write speed of 16Mb/s.

That of course would still struggle to perform the loop/overwriting function, your cards write speed is not capable of writing HD files unfortunately.
To perform the loop/obsessive rewriting that dash cams need we recommed 48Mb/s or more.
That is if the card's real write speed is 10Mb/s, which I don't believe it is, otherwise mine would've started failing a long time ago.
I wouldn't put the blame on the card until some questions, like the one @DashcamDPR asked, are answered.

@Module 79L yes you're absolutely correct I am basing that assumption on the information provided - the make/model that has been provided by @MikeyI , Kingstons website has advised 45Mb/s read speed and 10Mb/s write speed.

This model doesn't have motion detection unfortunately.

I have today fitted a Samsung Professional 90MB read/50Mb write card.

My main point though Tiffany is that there are thousands of Nextbase users out there who rely on the cams to comply with their insurance, but don't know the 45 MBs requirement and so will not have suitable recording happening as per the OP's issue. This legally renders them uninsured as the policy conditions specify "working dash camera that can supply footage in the event of an incident". I would suggest that Nextbase need to push this information to all purchasers as a matter of urgency, and further make it very clear on the packaging/instructions going forwards that lower than 45MBs write specification cards will render your device inoperable for the purpose for which it purchased and may invalidate your insurance.

My main point though Tiffany is that there are thousands of Nextbase users out there who rely on the cams to comply with their insurance, but don't know the 45 MBs requirement and so will not have suitable recording happening as per the OP's issue. This legally renders them uninsured as the policy conditions specify "working dash camera that can supply footage in the event of an incident". I would suggest that Nextbase need to push this information to all purchasers as a matter of urgency, and further make it very clear on the packaging/instructions going forwards that lower than 45MBs write specification cards will render your device inoperable for the purpose for which it purchased and may invalidate your insurance.
The info provided by Tiffany is not correct. The Kingston card has a minimum write speed of 10MB/s, not 10Mb/s. Her calculations about the camera's write speed are correct but the final result, 16Mb/s, equals to only 2MB/s, so the write speed of your Kingston card is more than adequate for the camera's needs and won't affect the insurance policy's conditions.

Last edited:
It's a Class 10 card, so the minimum write speed is 10MB/s.

Note that the speed rating is based on the write speed for a short period of time on an unfragmented card.

Dashcams write for prolonged periods of time on fragmented cards.

The two operating conditions are very different.

Think of a Kingston card as a 100 metre sprinter and Transcend/Samsung cards as long-distance runners. The Kingston may achieve the highest speeds but it can't sustain them for long periods and eventually it can't keep up with Transcend/Samsung.

Note that the speed rating is based on the write speed for a short period of time on an unfragmented card.

Dashcams write for prolonged periods of time on fragmented cards.

The two operating conditions are very different.

Think of a Kingston card as a 100 metre sprinter and Transcend/Samsung cards as long-distance runners. The Kingston may achieve the highest speeds but it can't sustain them for long periods and eventually it can't keep up with Transcend/Samsung.
The speed rating I mentioned is what sdcard.org says for Class 10 cards, not what Kingston, Transcend, Samsung or any other manufacturer says. If you're saying that's how sdcard.org achieve those numbers, then no card is compatible with dashcams, right?

Just out of curiosity, yesterday I tested my Kingston card with h2testw against the Transcend cards supplied with the SG9665XS. The Kingston's write speed was 10~11MB/s, while the Transcends all tested between 13 and 14MB/s. I don't know where you got the idea that Kingston cards are faster. If this test counts for something, the Kingston card would be an ultra marathon runner, not a sprinter. In any case, what matters to this discussion is that a Class 10 card's write speed is high enough for the demands of any dashcam. I can't even imagine what the camera's bitrate would have to be for its write speed to exceed even a Class 10 Kingston's "low" write speed.

Back