Just when you thought it was safe to return to the beach.

"Doing a ton in an indirect gear, the roar of the pipes is all you can hear.
The rev counter needle is going berzerk as you drop into top with a clutch-smashing jerk."

Thus began an old poem about the Vincent Black Shadow. :cool:"The Ton" was a hallowed goal for Rockers and their Tritons. Though not many actually achieved it most claimed that they did and then some :whistle: Jaguar was one of the few English cars which could "crack the ton" back then.

Now bring your Whitworth spanners and come have a pint with me as we reminisce about what a "ton" was (y)

Phil

Now bring your Whitworth spanners and come have a pint with me as we reminisce about what a "ton" was (y)

Phil
No need for Whitworth spanners for my car, even though it was made in UK by a UK manufacturer it uses all metric nuts and bolts.

However my Gitup Action cameras do use 1/4-20 BSW (British Standard Whitworth) threads for the tripod mount, as specified by the UK Royal Photographic Society. (I think they are actually 1/4-20 UNC as specified by (International Standards Organisation) ISO 1222:2010 which seems to have replaced the compatible but slightly nicer (less sharp) BSW standard.)

AFAIK the two threads are interchangeable in practical usage :) BSW has a 55 degree thread angle with rounded crests and valleys, while the other common thread conventions use a 60 degree thread angle with nominally sharp crests and valleys. In theory it shouldn't work and It may not when using precision-sized threads like with a jet engine. In soft metals the Whitworth design is actually stronger and less prone to developing stress cracks and fatigue failures :cool: I'd love to have a more comp;ete set of Whitworth tools but since I parked the Norton and stopped wrenching on British cars I really have no need for them. Most young mechanics over here are baffled to learn that there's something other than fractional and metric :eek:

Not a ton of info, but a portion thereof- would that make my post a "Short Ton"? :ROFLMAO:
Phil

Hey it's not Christmas, the date clearly says feb of 2018. Oh you sneak.

And devil worshippers

The days before bridges, when if you wanted to view your dashcam footage, you needed to take it to the chemist and wait for 1 week of processing time!

Most young mechanics over here are baffled to learn that there's something other than fractional and metric :eek:
I doubt any young mechanics here would have a clue how to use fractional measurements and would be completely baffled if you tried to explain!

Back