K1S doesn't boot up when the engine starts

Duncrawlin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Totally new to dashcams and just installed a K1S. Everything works fine if it's powered on manually, (apart from a hiss through the GPS speaker- though I haven't yet tried to mute the microphone) but the unit doesn't power up when I start the engine and has to be turned on at the DVR unit and then manually told to record by pushing the event button. It's powered via the accessory socket inside the glove box, which only works when the ignition is on. I'm using a 64 GB Samsung Evo MicroSDXC UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10 which I bought from a reputable dealer- formatted on the DVR unit before install. Could this be an SD card issue and if so, would I be better using a 32GB and which is recommended?

Yep. Standard power adapter- not changed anything, apart from the micro SD card, as it didn't come with one. (The accessory socket is just like a cigarette lighter, but without the lighter.)

the hiss doesnt sound good mine is as silent as a mouse.

If you drive a diesel and turn the iginition to 1 to pre-heat glow plugs before starting the engine, the camera comes on, begins to boot.... then you turn the key after 5 seconds to start the engine.... the battery voltage drops as the engine cranks.. and the K1S locks up due to the voltage variation. It assumes its shutting down again.. then refuses to come back on. A battery pull on the recorder unit is needed. Im still exploring ways around this... some sort of delay timer to prevent the K1S powering up until 20 secs from engine switch on, regardless of cranking.

The overall problem is crap software on the unit.

it's firmware addressable but if that never happens you can add a 3 wire delay timer to get around the problem

The voltage drops due to the start position turning off accessory sockets to allow maximum power to go to the engine cranking on most cars... Jolkin is right three wire delay timer is the way to go for now...

All they need to do is set the software to start up after a couple of seconds and not shut down until a time delay of 10 seconds of no power has happened. That would cover most cars.

I personally have a relay running my dash cameras wired of the alternator signal. So the power for my cameras doesn't turn on until the engine is actually running.

Hope that helps.

Various things tried, such as different sd card, firmware update, disconnecting one camera at a time, but nothing worked. It's not a diesel glowplug issue as it's a 5-ltr petrol V8, so unit returned under warranty to the dealers who have been very supportive so far. It should reach them tomorrow and they're going to test it and replace if faulty. If there's nothing wrong with the head unit it may be one of the cameras. I didn't return those as it was a four hour job, which included removing part of the dashboard, to bury all the cables behind the trim and the idea of doing this again doesn't particularly appeal! If it turns out the problem is a faulty camera, I may very well just put up with it and get into the habit of turning it on manually.

Your right it has nothing to do with the glow plugs as you have a petrol. As do I. Its to do with the power having to cut off from the Acc Socket / Cigerette lighter socket when the engine is in turn over. When you turn the engine to the point the dashlights up eg position 2, or when you press the start engine button in modern cars the following sequence happens.

The key or ignition is turned on by turning the key or pressing the button.
The power is provided to all circuits apart from the starter motor trigger.
When the key is turned to start the engine, or in push button cars when the ecu decides the car is okay and it can turn the engine over, the power is cut from all unnecessary items. This includes radio, Head Lights, Acc Power sockets, Heated screens, and all-sorts of other items light glove box lights. it depends on the car but most cars do this.

The camera does this during this process ...

It receives power and starts up.
The car begins to turn over. and the power gets cut so the camera starts to shut down saving all files and making sure it is safe to turn off.
While the camera is in the shut down process takes a short while, the starter has started the engine and restores power to the camera.
The camera shuts down but the power has not changed since shutdown. thus it stays off until you unplug it and plug it back in.

I hope this explains the process. when i say most cars do this. the only ones that don't are electric cars, and some with older constant 12 volt supplies. Cars with auto start stop technology will have this problem every time you stop at the lights.

That's possibly it, though I was hoping that the start procedure is quick enough to overcome this, as it's a key-less procedure with pressing the start button actually activating the ignition, the engine starting immediately.

it turns over for long enough to start the shut down procedure. as an experiment if the replacement does the same. don't start the engine. get in and hold down the start button without putting your foot on the brake or clutch. it will turn the ignition on without starting the car. if the camera works in this situation then its cutting power for long enough to shut the camera down. some people have been installing delay relays. the delay relay only turns the power on when the a few seconds have passed normally adjustable. thus the camera turns on after the car has started. they are called three wire time delay relays.

You will have to be careful when anything electrical is done on the car as yours will be controlled mostly by an internal network turning different circuits on and off remotly

Thanks for that, Peter, I'll try it when the unit is returned. I'm not even going to try to meddle with the car electrics as XKs are ultra-sensitive on the electrical front.

Cool so now you have a good working dash camera. have fun...

so I'm guessing this is why mine doesnt boot up on ignition start. I have to manually turn it on every time. I have a diesel push button start.

I've bought a hard wire kit for it, so this will hopefully sort the problem. Anyone else hardwired theirs?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Koonlung 4
Back