K1S & Engine cranking issue

moojuiceuk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've installed a K1S into a Dacia Duster. So far I'm very pleased with it, however it occasionally throws a wobbly when the engine cranks to start. The engine is a diesel & has glow plugs which need to heat for a couple of seconds before cranking.

Whilst the glow plugs are heating, the K1S has had a chance to boot up and start recording. Then once I turn the key to crank the engine, the drop in voltage causes the K1S to think power has been removed and starts going "donk donk donk" warning of impending shut down in 5 seconds. Once the engine has started, a steady 12v is again available. The camera recognises this & aborts the shutdown. The trouble is, sometimes it stops recording and fails to start recording again, depending on the duration of cranking. Probably a software glitch which does not take into account engine cranking and temp loss of power.

I can think of two solutions:
1) Power up camera on manual power switch once engine has started. Cons to this - I could forget & I want the cam to start automatically, especially if my garage is working on the vehicle for it's annual service.
2) Fit a large'ish capacitor & shunt diode to try to keep the 12v line up or look at a better 12v - 5v dc-dc converter.

So... has anyone else had this sort of issue? Is there a good 12v to 5v converter out there that handles engine cranking well? I'm not going to hold my breath for Koonlung to update their firmware any time soon!

Thanks for the suggestions. I've ordered a delay timer so the camera will only get power a few seconds (long enough to allow the engine to crank). Hopefully that should sort out the issue. We shall see!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Koonlung 15
Back