K1S Firmware Cracking and fixing. The GoPro Firmware reading software..

Peter Wilson

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini 0801 DashCam and Blackvue DR550GW, iPhone 4S.
I have found this on Techmoans post. Wondered if any of you smarter then me people might want to have a try at ripping the half working firmware bin file apart and looking closer at it.

Comment left by 'Dave'

As I can't leave anything alone, I was poking through the updated firmware BIN file and noticed an amboot bootloader header.

When doing the update on the camera, it updated several sections - so after a bit of googling, it would appear that it uses a similar firmware mechanism to the GoPro cameras (this would also give credence to it using GoPro batteries - the hardware may have similarities)

Anyway, as I went on, I've come across a GoPro hacker called "EvilWombat", who has put quite a few firmware tools together to unpack and tweak the GoPro firmware. I've run the K1S firmware through the tools and have managed to successfully extract a list of all of the files in the K1S firmware as well as (when I get it over onto my Linux box) the files themselves. I'm not brave enough to repack and reflash them yet, but it's definitely hackable and as such may be recoverable if it all goes horribly wrong.

If anyone else wants to have a poke around, the tools are available from: github.com/evilwombat?tab=repositories

Of course, any messing around is done at your own risk, yadda yadda etc :)

It starts at the bottom of this page. then continues on the next page.
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2015/3...r-hidden-1080p-dash-camera.html?currentPage=9

The PCM audio files are in the main firmware directory just cant find anything to play them... downloaded 4 players now that say they handle PCM format but they don't even see a file with .pcm at the end. somethings doing my head in already.... I would like to re do the audio files so the GPS file and starting recording file don't make loads of noise.

Mainly because with parking mode on if you walk near the car it starts recording and out of the GPS unit the car suddenly shouts Starting recording. and then GPS Started.

This is the editor I looked at the bit rate table with. You may find you can replace the files with all zeros (or delete entirely) and the camera will still function, but it's not guaranteed.

If we had the source code for the firmware then that'd be a great step but unfortunately not :(

Edit:

The audio files appear to be Signed 16bit PCM (Raw), 12000hz sample rate, mono, little endian.

Last edited:
Back