K1S "Recording started" then "recording stopped"

Stephen S

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, this is my first post.

I have been browsing the forum because I have recently installed a K1S in my Tiguan. I have a Class 10 32gb Samsung card in it.

I have established a good 12V switched source and earth, and the unit powers on fine.

It doesn't seem to have the instant reset problem from jiggling cables, that others have posted about, but it does not have another strange behaviour.

It announces "recording started" (as it should) but then immediately announces "recording stopped".

It might (might) be an issue with the SD card.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Latest in this investigation: I have downloaded the videos that were recorded in the 3-8 seconds that the unit was recording, and they are all 21,004,288 bytes long. Now, that's not a coincidence.

Makes me suspect the SD card even more.

I have bought a Lexar, as per suggestion, and I will report back.

I have had 2 with the backs off for the last 6 hours to find out what the same problem is on both and your problem...

This behaviour is induced if there is a brake in the connection of either of the cameras and by wiggling and holding the camera connection I was able to get both mine working..

on inspection inside, I found the female camera connection had come away from 2 of its soldered anchor points and this can be put right by soldering...

I think this is a common problem, and NO strain or pressure should be put on the camera connections at any time because it is a very weak spot on the K1S

Well done, petepete.

I can confirm that switching to a Lexar card makes no difference.

The problem is definitely in the connections. I tried wiggling them and could easily induce the flashing screen, which I think indicates a "reset", which in turn triggers the software to stop recording.

I'm nervous about taking the back off. How did you do it? Is it easy or might I damage the casing and/or internals?

The broken soldering is part of the problem.. after further investigation I can see 5 very small connections of each camera plug and if the "holding" soldering I mentioned before comes adrift it creates problems with these 5 connections which looking at the picture appear to be very finely soldered or not ?

I gave up..

I admit defeat..

I cannot repair this with a 5mm soldering iron a hammer and a plastic magnifying glass with more scratches on it than my back:D:D:D

Fair enough, Pete. You gave it your best shot.

My toolset is much the same, so I won't even think about opening it.

I have raised a return request with the supplier.

wise move !

seems to me there are loads being returned with this fault.

I now have a refund from dealer. Good as gold. No quibble.

Back to square one.

Update: After purchasing the lexar 633x SD cards (64GB), the K1S worked good until yesterday... and started the same problem again where it stops and restarts recording every so often. It doesn't appear to be as often as before, but I've lost confidence in this camera, after spending near $300 for the camera, and another $100 on the SD cards (the 633x cards weren't that cheap).

I hope they come out with a firmware fix.. otherwise this camera is going in the garbage. I need something I can depend on.

Update: After purchasing the lexar 633x SD cards (64GB), the K1S worked good until yesterday... and started the same problem again where it stops and restarts recording every so often. It doesn't appear to be as often as before, but I've lost confidence in this camera, after spending near $300 for the camera, and another $100 on the SD cards (the 633x cards weren't that cheap).

I hope they come out with a firmware fix.. otherwise this camera is going in the garbage. I need something.....

From my post on the other thread with these different cards tested by a german magazine I still would say the random write speeds on the lexar aren't good enough. From reading amazon reviews of actual owners of this device who had the same problem they cleat belt and braces solution is a Sandisk Extreme Pro card. Fast as they get.

I'd not listen to anecdotal evidence from people who don't own this device and have had the exact same problem.

Having had the exact same problem it was a sd card issue. I resolved it with an old gen samsung pro 64gb card. If that hadby worked I'd have tried a Sandisk extreme pro then if that failed returned the device.

I can only suggest selling the other cards and buying a Sandisk extreme pro and giving it one last shot.

I'd be interested if you bench tested the cards you had and see what speed you got. Just to see if they are faster or slower than what I'm using.

Have to agree though you shouldn't have to do this much self testing of a product. Even if they supplied a working card or gave a list of suitable cards....

I really like the K1S now i have got it setup and working properly. Picture quality was a bit of a let down but I does what it needs too.

Good luck.

I hope they come out with a firmware fix.. otherwise this camera is going in the garbage. I need something I can depend on.

It sounds like the freeze bug is after the card becomes full and recycle begins. I would get in the habit of formatting the cards daily.

It sounds like the freeze bug is after the card becomes full and recycle begins. I would get in the habit of formatting the cards daily.

The issue is definitely made worse with an inadequate card when it gets to the overwrite stage of a card memory.

However with the correct card this shouldnt be an issue.

Regular formatting is a good idea though.

Update: After purchasing the lexar 633x SD cards (64GB).

too late now but a 32GB would have been a better choice I think, FAT32 seems a bit more tolerant in these, it's not just a Koonlung thing, most dual channel Ambarella cameras struggle with this issue

The issue is definitely made worse with an inadequate card when it gets to the overwrite stage of a card memory.

However with the correct card this shouldnt be an issue.

Regular formatting is a good idea though.
Hi Folks, my first post in the forum, nice to meet you all, I have been enjoying everyone's posts for some time.

I have two K1S units in my car (one for front and rear and one for the side windows, producing a complete 360 degree overlapping view). I can only agree with Pier28. I originally had the same start/stop issues both with video and GPS. However, after changing the SD card for a faster one (Samsung UHS Grade 1, class 10) it seemed to instantly take away the problem. That is until I used the card in a computer to upload the footage. Thereafter I got problems again unless I format the card in the Dashcam DVR each time I removed it and use in another device. I have not had any problems since, and initially worried about it being loose connections (as indeed in seems to be for others). Hope this helps.

Hey
M4&C
Hi Folks, my first post in the forum, nice to meet you all, I have been enjoying everyone's posts for some time.

I have two K1S units in my car (one for front and rear and one for the side windows, producing a complete 360 degree overlapping view). I can only agree with Pier28. I originally had the same start/stop issues both with video and GPS. However, after changing the SD card for a faster one (Samsung UHS Grade 1, class 10) it seemed to instantly take away the problem. That is until I used the card in a computer to upload the footage. Thereafter I got problems again unless I format the card in the Dashcam DVR each time I removed it and use in another device. I have not had any problems since, and initially worried about it being loose connections (as indeed in seems to be for others). Hope this helps.

Heylo, and welcome to the forum :) Can you please confirm which of the faster microSD cards worked for you without experiencing any issues after? part number or url? There are so many out there.

Thanks!

Hi mstoetz1,

The microSD card that I found issue free with the K1S was a Samsung Memory 64 EVO Plus Micro SDXC UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10
Read : up to 80MB/s with UHS-1 interface
Write : up to 20MB/s with UHS-1 interface

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage-accessories/MB-MC64DA/AM

The box of the K1S states it is compatible up to 128GB. I tried a 128Gb card Scandisk class 10 card and had issues, but I did not purchase and try this fast Samsung card in a 128GB size (It's quite expensive if doesn't work). Perhaps it will work in a bigger size and faster card, which would be handy.

Back