K1S "Recording started" then "recording stopped"

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised the samsung cards work so well.. compared to the Lexar 633x 64GB (at 45MB/sec write, 95MB/sec read) that I'm having problems with.

I paid $50 a piece for two of the lexar's (in addition to some san disk ones I got from costco) so the trial and error is getting expensive.

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised the samsung cards work so well.. compared to the Lexar 633x 64GB (at 45MB/sec write, 95MB/sec read) that I'm having problems with.

I paid $50 a piece for two of the lexar's (in addition to some san disk ones I got from costco) so the trial and error is getting expensive.
I agree trial and error is expensive with the SD cards, but once past this annoying. Problem, the K1S is a good unit to have. I'm not really sure why the Samsung card would work better than your Lexar ones, I just know it was successful in mine compared to the Scandisk class 10 cards. I'd like to try a similar Samsung card in 128GB which would be handy, but they are expensive and I already tried a Scandisk 128GB without without success, at cost. The box of the K1S states it is compatible with 128GB. Good luck.

I Have the 64Gb Samasubg EVO 64Gb , but it's reading speed is only 48m/s .
Also experiencing the sam eproblem . My challenge is that I did not bought it new, but in new condition secondhand (- wonder if the seller experienced the same problem, and sold it because of this problem) and I am not able to return it to the supplier . I also must add the the setup is a temprory setup on my Yamaha Super Tenere , The cameras are fixed securely but the Module is situated under the seat , but not fastened.

Ok.. having issues with these SAMSUNG MB-MG64EA/CA now.... despite them being quite fast (Up to 90MB/s read speed, 80MB/s write speed)

Yes.. could be. A bit disappointing, because I really like the dashcam... license plates are so clear in the day time. Hopefully some similar discrete dashcams will come out soon.

Yes.. could be. A bit disappointing, because I really like the dashcam... license plates are so clear in the day time. Hopefully some similar discrete dashcams will come out soon.

Two different Street Guardian models are in development. (Should be excellent once ready)

I've been tolerating the intermittent gaps in recording, but noticed other issues with the K1S.

1) On occasion, it will repeat over and over its GPS status, sometimes exceeding 5 or 6 times within one minute.
2) Just before it stops recording, it usually happens seconds after it says that its GPS was just acquired.

I love the video quality (daytime)... and I'm surprised there has been no firmware bug fixes for quite awhile.

I wish I could take this camera apart and run an external SATA drive in the glove box. It would be much easier.

So far Mine has behaved perfectly as long as the card isn't full. I have turned off parking mode because the camera fills the card up with tiny birds and clouds moving, Strange that itr missed the crashed car the other day that happened right in front of the camera. It also missed the traffic warden and a large van parking up...

So my Option now is to not let my Class 10 Samsung UHS card fill up.

I am going to try the original firmware from the SpyTec site again and see what happens

Hi, My first post here! My K1S has a similar fault, but I am not convinced its entirely down to the sd card. It stops recording with a beep, and the displays "rec" goes green. A few seconds later, it says "Recording Started" and the rec goes red again, until the next time. I have tried several different cards, all meet the specifications, and all give similar results. They are two different 32GB Samsung cards, a 32GB Kingston, a 64GB SanDisk and a 16GB SanDisk . They are all speed Class 10 with a UHS speed class "3 in a U" symbol and have write speeds of 85 or 90 MB/s. The best of them was the 16 GB SanDisk. All of these cards give excellent results in a Panasonic SDR-H86 camcorder. There was just one bad soldered connection inside, it was on a small button battery near the power input socket, but it made no difference. Don't know why that should be there when there is a big battery in there!
I think it may be due to insufficient internal buffer memory. Recordings go first to a buffer in bits then to the sd card in one go. I think that's how it works.
My daily journey is 20 odd miles of the M3, through the ****** road works with a couple of miles of A roads each end. It can sometimes go for a couple of weeks without problem. But if there is any accident on the M3, it gets blocked for hours (because they have done away with the hard shoulder, don't get me started on that) so I then use B roads across country, avoiding the bunged up M3 and clogged A roads. The problem then will always show at least 4 or 5 times every time on that journey. The view on the motorway is fairly "simple", but the view on the B roads is "complicated", with tree lined country lanes and residential roads, so the B roads make it work harder, but it cant do it, so stops recording to recover. Wonder if anyone else has noticed the problem seems to be related to the amount of information it has to record at any one moment ?

Is it possible that once the card is full the unit has trouble deleting old data to then record new data? I have found that reformatting the sd card resolves this issue

Is it possible that once the card is full the unit has trouble deleting old data to then record new data? I have found that reformatting the sd card resolves this issue
No, the problem can show up within a few minutes of using a freshly formatted card. Then looking at that card on a pc shows only a few % used.

Same trouble here Recording stopped and a 20 sec or so gap, I too have cleared the card which I thought had cured it but the fault came back and reformatting again did not solve it. I have refitted a new card today a new samsung 64 EVO Ultra-fast not optimistic though. Shame as it is the best dashcam I have used. Support seems to be non existant.

Same trouble here Recording stopped and a 20 sec or so gap, I too have cleared the card which I thought had cured it but the fault came back and reformatting again did not solve it. I have refitted a new card today a new samsung 64 EVO Ultra-fast not optimistic though. Shame as it is the best dashcam I have used. Support seems to be non existant.

Got to say my k1s has been stable as anything with the latest 180 update... No kicking up a fuss about GPS. No stopping then starting recordings. Quality is no different. Just never stops even thought the card is full...

Got to say my k1s has been stable as anything with the latest 180 update... No kicking up a fuss about GPS. No stopping then starting recordings. Quality is no different. Just never stops even thought the card is full...
How did you get your update please?

Hi all, been a little while.

My camera used to do this, recording started and then at a random point, recording stopped. Taking the card out of the camera and running a filesystem check (chkdsk /f in windows) shows bad portions which it can fix. A card with these bad sectors means that the camera will stop then start recording by itself.

If you have parking mode enabled, it obviously shuts off when the battery becomes low. The issue comes when you start your car again - if it interrupts it during cranking, or you don't run the engine long enough, the camera will immediately shut off causing a card error when power is interrupted. Formatting also fixes this.

Turned parking mode off on my camera, and fixed the issue.

Last edited:
Back