K1S, something else now, or wait.

Webic

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking to get my first dashcam. I want 2ch discreet dash cam. I've am primarily looking for a set and forget type cam that is hidden from view because I really don't want to look at it. I like the separate control box, having a screen isn't required if I can control via Wi-Fi. If I have to have a screen, then I want to be able to mount store it cleanly under my center arm rest out of site until I need it.

I really like the form factor of the camera modules on the K1S, but have some issue..
  • Lack of capacitor
  • Lack of parking mode
  • Low aperture of the cameras
  • Low bitrate
  • Side mounted sockets and card
If there was a device that checked a few more boxes with remote cams, I'd go for it. However I can't find one. I'm more concerned about form factor and quality as opposed to price.

My questions though are this:
  • Is there a release cycle for dash cams like other consumer electronics devices? Say Fall / Spring releases? Or do different manufacturers release throughout the year?
  • Are there any known high quality remote 2ch cameras slated to release later this year?
  • Trying to figure out if I should get the K1S for immediate need and then upgrade later, or just wait till the next new and shiny system comes out.

Welcome to the forum Webic

I do think dual setups with 2 discreete cams on a wire is in the pipeline, and they should start to come to marked this year.
Seem like most makers is more interested in dooing the normal "large" front unit and then a rear camera on a wire comming off that, but same as you thats not what i am looking for.
For here and now coverage 2 of the small mobius cams will be a cheap way to get coverage that will work if / when you need it.

PS. You can make do with 1 camera untill the right thing is there, the rear camera is for the most a sign of dashcam addiction, though a lot of stuff allso go on back there.

Last edited:
At this time there are no really good 2 channel cams at a lowish price in the US. The few which perform well ain't cheap and for the same amount of money you can get 2 equal or better single cams. I expect the situation to change for the better but that may not happen as soon as you and I want, so maybe best not to wait.

One more thing is that there is not really any "set and forget" with any dashcam. You need to periodically check the SD card as they do wear out and sometimes they fail without warning- the cam may give you no indication of that failure. You need to monitor the 'recording' LED to ensure that the cam is powered up and working. And if it's a battery type (most are) you need to watch for swelled or worn-out batteries- the latter may not save the last file recorded. Not a lot of maintenance or attention really, but definitely not something which can safely be ignored once installed either.

Phil

Back