K1S - Updating firmware

danShumway

Reaction score
Country
United States
Spytec lists the K1S firmware at https://spytec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/folders/5000257346, I'm currently running the previous version (R157). So two questions:

Is installation as simple as just copying the .bin onto my SD card? Both Windows 8/10 and Linux don't recognize the device, so I'd really like to avoid bricking it since there doesn't look to be any way I can mess with it after it breaks.

Is there a changelist anywhere about what this firmware adds/fixes? The only change I've seen mentioned is the ability to overlay MPH instead of KPH, which honestly isn't the biggest deal in the world for me.

Spytec lists the K1S firmware at https://spytec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/folders/5000257346, I'm currently running the previous version (R157). So two questions:

Is installation as simple as just copying the .bin onto my SD card? Both Windows 8/10 and Linux don't recognize the device, so I'd really like to avoid bricking it since there doesn't look to be any way I can mess with it after it breaks.

Is there a changelist anywhere about what this firmware adds/fixes? The only change I've seen mentioned is the ability to overlay MPH instead of KPH, which honestly isn't the biggest deal in the world for me.

Do you have a copy of any older firmware such as the R157 that you were using? I updated to the R158 and now I am having issues.

Do you have a copy of any older firmware such as the R157 that you were using? I updated to the R158 and now I am having issues.

Unfortunately not, my device came with it preinstalled so I never had the actual bin.

Out of curiosity, what's your issue? I've been trying to compile something resembling a changelist for this thread, so I'd be interested in knowing if there are any potential issues.

Unfortunately not, my device came with it preinstalled so I never had the actual bin.

Out of curiosity, what's your issue? I've been trying to compile something resembling a changelist for this thread, so I'd be interested in knowing if there are any potential issues.
I had upgraded to the R158 so I could have the MPH settings, and in doing so, my device will either not turn on with the front camera plugged in or will just get in a reset loop with it plugged in. It works fine with just the rear camera by itself. Be fore I did the firmware update the entire device worked flawlessly. And of course by my stupidity I did not write down what firmware revision I had on before. I just got an email address for koonlung today to try from Techmoan. I will email them at this new address and let you know what I find out and post a link if they give me some different firmware revisions to try.

I had upgraded to the R158 so I could have the MPH settings, and in doing so, my device will either not turn on with the front camera plugged in or will just get in a reset loop with it plugged in. It works fine with just the rear camera by itself. Be fore I did the firmware update the entire device worked flawlessly. And of course by my stupidity I did not write down what firmware revision I had on before. I just got an email address for koonlung today to try from Techmoan. I will email them at this new address and let you know what I find out and post a link if they give me some different firmware revisions to try.
I have an update on my issue for you. The 158 firmware that I installed seems to work fine now other than one issue. I had updated to the 158 and changed to a 64 GB memory card at the same time. I put the 32 GB card I was using back in and now the entire system works as it should. Both cameras are working, the GPS works, and the optional button works too. No more restarts. Even though the book says it supports up to 64GB cards, it only supports 32 GB. Both cards are class 10. The only difference between them is the 32 GB is sdhc and the 64 GB is sdxc.

I have an update on my issue for you. The 158 firmware that I installed seems to work fine now other than one issue. I had updated to the 158 and changed to a 64 GB memory card at the same time. I put the 32 GB card I was using back in and now the entire system works as it should. Both cameras are working, the GPS works, and the optional button works too. No more restarts. Even though the book says it supports up to 64GB cards, it only supports 32 GB. Both cards are class 10. The only difference between them is the 32 GB is sdhc and the 64 GB is sdxc.

I realize I'm pretty late to reply to this - the k1s has some pretty massive write speed requirements for SD cards, to the point where not all class 10 cards actually work with it, since to have your card rated as class 10 you only actually need a write speed of 10 megabits per second.
I ran into similar issues finding a card that would work - with a slower card you get gaps in the recording and the dashcam will occasionally freeze. It would be nice if future versions of the dashcam were more explicit about it or maybe included a suggested minimum writespeed in the manual so people don't run into those problems as often and think something's wrong with the camera.

Anyway, glad to know your issue got sorted out, and thanks for letting me know :)

Back