K2 - button for saving a video clip?

melensdad

Reaction score
Country
United States
Seriously looking at buying 2 of the Innovv K2 units (one for my bike, one for the wife's bike) and installing them before we go on a multi-thousand mile tour. The one thing hold me back is that I can not figure out if how to quickly store a video clip.

Some of the cheaper dual cam DVR units have a hardwired button that you can mount near your handgrip that lets you save a short video clip. Its different than a G-shock sensor because you don't actually have to be involved in an accident to want to save a short clip.

Is there any way to manually save a video clip ... without stopping the motorcycle, digging out an iPhone, opening the App and then saving a vid-clip?

Hello, it's better to buy a large 256GB card so you save plenty of video stored before it loops. You can just make a note of the time for the video you want to save later. There is no event save button at this time.

Hello, it's better to buy a large 256GB card so you save plenty of video stored before it loops. You can just make a note of the time for the video you want to save later. There is no event save button at this time.
So exactly how, while riding a motorcycle, does one make a note of the time of the video? I've been riding for 30+ years and this comment baffles me.

So exactly how, while riding a motorcycle, does one make a note of the time of the video? I've been riding for 30+ years and this comment baffles me.

I've been riding 40 years, can still read a watch while riding (last bike had a clock on the dash which is even easier), don't know that I'd bother though, when you look at thumbnail view of your recordings it's generally easy enough to work out where you are at any given time

I've been riding 40 years, can still read a watch while riding (last bike had a clock on the dash which is even easier), don't know that I'd bother though, when you look at thumbnail view of your recordings it's generally easy enough to work out where you are at any given time
Oh, I can tell the time while riding, just not sure how to make a note of it? On a piece of paper???

My mental notes was formed around location, which was easy as i tend to do the same routes over and over, probably not a option for a free roaming motorcycle spirit, so time will have to make do.
Also seem like many bikers have phone docked on handle bar, but if you are not going to go there ( which i fully understand and support ) then you are in a pinch.

My mental notes was formed around location, which was easy as i tend to do the same routes over and over, probably not a option for a free roaming motorcycle spirit, so time will have to make do.
Also seem like many bikers have phone docked on handle bar, but if you are not going to go there ( which i fully understand and support ) then you are in a pinch.
And I want this for a long (2500 mile) motorcycle trip. So your point about it not being a valid option for a free roaming trip is spot on. When running a few hundred miles a day, and potentially wanting to save several clips, its just a lot more convenient to have a button that saves a 15 to 30 second block of video. Not sure I'd be able to remember each bit I'd want to save.

I do have an iPhone (used for navigation) mounted above my bike's dash panel so I don't have to look down at my handlebars. Its mounted high, just below my normal line of sight, not down on the handlebars, which seems really like a dumb spot but I've seen it done too many times to count!

Hehe yeah somewhere in Indiana around noon and there was some trees on the left, will make the exact moment hard to find.
But really for something cinematic you are better off with almost any other camera, granted the dashcams do capture anything in front of it, but many things they don't do well compared to other cameras.
People like American roads on youtube that do really sweet journey videos ( from a car ) use a camcorder instead, so he get a bit more narrow view, which are better IMO as with a dashcam you have A pillars and dashboard in the frame too.
Just like human sight, we have like a 160 degree field of view, but its just the middle 10 - 20 degrees that are actually in focus, the rest the brain just extrapolate on which are why magicians are able to cheat us so easy.
And not forgetting a camcorder record at a much higher bitrate and so retain more detail.
So i think yes i would want a drive recorder for my vehicle of choice for sure, but for the memorable places i think i would have to pull over if possible or reroute and then take some real video and photos.

But of course easy for a Dane to say and you can drive across my little country in 6 hours and do that stopping 10 minutes every hour with ease.

That said motorcycle cameras are also evolving nicely, you dont have to go many years back in time before all you could get was pretty much garbage, now you can get worth while stuff it seem, though not quite to everyone's liking yet.

Hehe yeah somewhere in Indiana around noon and there was some trees on the left, will make the exact moment hard to find.
But really for something cinematic you are better off with almost any other camera...
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote.

I'm not looking to "video blog" with a dash camera, but sometimes you run across the unexpected and it would be nice to save the moment. For the most part I'm not really into saving and sharing video. So really not looking to record video at all except for special moments and the other, typically unfortunate moments for which 'dash cams' are very useful.

Yeah.
In today's world with so many irresponsible drivers on the roads, it only make sense to have a drive recorder

On dashcams for cars a remote event button are actually also pretty new and still rare, the K2S camera i am testing have one but it is not waterproof.
_dsc0570-jpg.44286

There are talks of making this camera for use other ways ( 2 channel action camera and maybe also MC camera )
But the exact specs of those versions and if there will be a waterproof remote event button for those too i don't know.

Anyways i am sure it is on the horizon, and on a motorcycle a remote button are more needed than elsewhere as the main unit are usually hidden somewhere on the bike.

The K2 has GPS. So if you are viewing the footage in DashCamViewer, you can click on the map to find the footage you are looking for. So if you saw the coyote cross the road on Lake Shore Dr, you can go to the map, find Lake Shore Dr, and reveiw to find the coyote.

Yep that would also be a approach to find something in among the big picture, but if you are out of state / out of town, you probably don't know where you are driving unless its a pretty un- interesting interstate HWY.
I would do my best to stay clear of those,,,, and Bates motel on my dream American road trip.

The K2 has GPS. So if you are viewing the footage in DashCamViewer, you can click on the map to find the footage you are looking for. So if you saw the coyote cross the road on Lake Shore Dr, you can go to the map, find Lake Shore Dr, and reveiw to find the coyote.

Yep that would also be a approach to find something in among the big picture, but if you are out of state / out of town, you probably don't know where you are driving unless its a pretty un- interesting interstate HWY.
I would do my best to stay clear of those,,,, and Bates motel on my dream American road trip.

So our next big trip will be around Lake Michigan and Lake Superior, roughly 2500 miles. Following the shoreline, avoiding the interstates. I think Lake Shore Drive is the name of about 75% of the roads we will be riding on! And seriously, not sure that a coyote is something to memorialize but I do understand your point. The problem is that I'm planning a long trip on unfamiliar roads running a couple hundred miles per day. So there may well be no moments some days and several moments other days. Just don't think its practical to try to go back and find an event but it would be easy enough to hit a button to save an event on the fly.

We are taking tents and sleeping bags to avoid the Bates Motel :eek:

I hope to be doing a little camping in the Danish forests and beaches this year, but i will go there in my little Suzuki car, and park fairly close to where i am going to put up my shelter, cuz these old legs and lounges don't do as well now as they did say 25 years ago when i was just about half this age.

i had the same problem years ago so here's what i do:

riding around all day recording, you have 3 different instances you would like to save so you'll know where to go back and review the video. it might take all day to find if you have go thru all that video and you're not sure exactly the geography or the time. you are better off if you get lucky because no way you can remember everything from this morning when you get around to looking at the video tomorrow night.

so i decided to use the flic button. https://flic.io/

i mount this on my bike and i can tap the button one, twice, or press and hold and it will do different things.

i've set it up so when connected to my phone, it can send me a text message with the instant gps location, date, and time.

at the end of the ride, if i have 3 text messages, i can easily track down the video segment.

when i send the text message or gps coordinates to onenote, it will put a pin on a map and i can see exactly where i was located when i clicked the button (in case you're not familiar with gps coordinates) and especially if you cannot tell where you are from looking at the video footage.

i have the small, colorful flic button mounted in a nice place on my bike so it doesn't fly off and it's easy to click with gloves since it has a very tactile feel.

you can use anything similar, there are other solutions out there.

so i use this for the c3 which has no connection whatsoever. would have been nice if the newer cameras with wifi and phone connectivity would break video footage (start stop on command) or mark video footage or save off/lock video using the mobile phone commanded by this flic button (which can do a ton of cool things btw).

If you use a remote button to lock the video and take a video snapshot at the same time, it will be easier to find the locked video.

So our next big trip will be around Lake Michigan and Lake Superior, roughly 2500 miles. Following the shoreline, avoiding the interstates. I think Lake Shore Drive is the name of about 75% of the roads we will be riding on! And seriously, not sure that a coyote is something to memorialize but I do understand your point. The problem is that I'm planning a long trip on unfamiliar roads running a couple hundred miles per day. So there may well be no moments some days and several moments other days. Just don't think its practical to try to go back and find an event but it would be easy enough to hit a button to save an event on the fly.

We are taking tents and sleeping bags to avoid the Bates Motel :eek:
Not sure if you have done the ride around Lake Superior yet or not. If not we did it 2 yrs ago and we used a Go pro. Typically with a larger storage card it would last for the full ride that day. I just waited till the end of the trip and then downloaded all my video cards and saved short pieces I wanted to keep where it had been really scenic. Needless to say I have a larger amount of large storage discs. Think I used 62GB cards. I also believe that the newer Go Pros have a remote button that you can use to start and stop your video or to take a still picture. So if you don't have one that might be a good thing to get to record just those special moments. There were a lot of beautiful areas up there to record but a lot that no one would really have a great desire to watch again. We mount our Go Pro on the right side of our front fairing using a suction mount and it always works great.
Hope you find camp grounds okay up there. Don't recall seeing a lot but then we weren't looking. We used the Ride Lake Superior site that lists distances, routes, motels, restaurants, and sites worth seeing. We booked our hotels long before our ride as we heard they book up fast with all the tourists up there in the summer. It was definitely an awesome trip though. Enjoy.

Back