K2 shuts down for no reason/at random

Maybe you took a wrong turn somewhere, Watch out for the giraffe crossing

System stayed on (yay!), GPS mostly behaved - but I had 3 places, widely separated, where for just one point, the GPS thought it was in North Africa, thousands of miles away.

WTF?
that happens when the GPS picks up a satellite that had previously been out of range and the initial data identifies the satellite using the Ephemeris data that it had which places it at its previous known or expected location, after a second or two it generally updates and snaps back to where it should be, I think it's more of an issue with how the player interprets what has happened, it should ignore data anomalies like this as it's a fairly common situation to have happen, more likely to occur when the GPS has been running a long time also so you won't often see this happen on short trips

That makes a lot more sense than the Wrong turn draft crossing. Hopefully DashCam viewer can be improved to compensate for that. If you have the video samples can you share them so a workaround can be coded. Here’s an upload link. I’m happy to pass them along to @traveler

that happens when the GPS picks up a satellite that had previously been out of range and the initial data identifies the satellite using the Ephemeris data that it had which places it at its previous known or expected location, after a second or two it generally updates and snaps back to where it should be, I think it's more of an issue with how the player interprets what has happened, it should ignore data anomalies like this as it's a fairly common situation to have happen, more likely to occur when the GPS has been running a long time also so you won't often see this happen on short trips
Yep, sounds like exactly what happened. I had been riding for at least an hour when the first teleportation happened.

Normal GPS satellite rising/setting would certainly have occurred several times during a 4+ hour ride.

Maybe DV could have an option to throw out unlikely GPS data.

Other than the 3 impossible points, GPS tracking was spot on for the whole trip.

Is it the front or rear camera file that contains the GPS data? Or is it in both?

Both but either way you should upload a few sets of both. Also include some immediately before ones leading up to the event and also some of next ones after as well.

I can do that, with a 128 GB card it takes a while to overwrite old video.

Uploaded. First GPS anomaly is in the middle pair of clips.

Can upload more if desired.

Last edited:
Another strange thing I noticed over the weekend : GPS will sometimes track fine for a while, then suddenly jump a smallish distance (something like a few hundred yards/meters).

Instead of returning to the "truth," for the rest of the trip, the GPS track is displaced by that amount.

The rest of my path will be in the same shape as the streets I rode on, but offset by the distance of the jump.

Could this be a quirk of the way Dashcam Viewer displays GPS data? Seems odd that the GPS data would have the correct path shape (turns, lengths of streets and so on), but with a constant offset.

I will if I can save some. I accidentally formatted the card before getting the clips off over the weekend. I'm sure it'll happen again.

Saw it again, will upload the clips.

The offset corrected itself, but there are a couple places you can tell the track does not correspond to the actual streets properly (that's the offset).

I'll see what I can do.

It's almost like the K2 didn't get a fix until it's been running about 3 minutes, then suddenly jumps to an offset position. Then finally corrects itself after another 30-40 seconds. It behaved for the rest of the ride after that (around 45 minutes).

On most rides the K2 gets its initial position fix before I leave my garage.

It's almost like the K2 didn't get a fix until it's been running about 3 minutes, then suddenly jumps to an offset position. Then finally corrects itself after another 30-40 seconds. It behaved for the rest of the ride after that (around 45 minutes).
pretty consistent with how GPS works, particularly if signal is low at the time

this from 7 years ago but not much has changed since then

Uploaded the front cam videos from the first 5 minutes of the ride. That's when all the weirdness happens.

On most rides the K2 gets a fix before I pull out of the garage. Guess it was having a bad day.

On Monday night's ride, the K2's WiFi never connected to my phone. LEDs indicated it was trying, but the K2's SSID was never visible on my phone. The K2 was recording properly anyway, so at least there's that. No idea why the WiFi didn't want to cooperate.

I tried that other viewer product (DVPlayer). It doesn't work. I saw either no GPS data, or a fixed position, including when the GPS was tracking properly in Dashcam Viewer. DVPlayer also constantly pestered me to register. That earned it a quick uninstall.

I tried that other viewer product (DVPlayer). It doesn't work. I saw either no GPS data, or a fixed position, including when the GPS was tracking properly in Dashcam Viewer. DVPlayer also constantly pestered me to register. That earned it a quick uninstall.
there's no GPS tracking in DVPlayer unless it's registered so that's the expected result

In general i get GPS fix on my cameras pretty fast, but there are also days where i am thinking " to hell with those American GPS satellites, lets get some Galileo ( EU GPS system ) support for dashcams".

Not least my K2S system, which announce GPS aqusition in a voice, some times i can get pretty far from home before i hear that announcement, and other days it is followed in seconds by GPS signal lost,,,,,, only to be there again in a few seconds ( but those are rare and always within the start of a drive )

Back