K2 shuts down instantly, then next day normal

OCD Tronic

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO, GitUp, INNOVV, QVIA, GUARD TRAK + More on Amazon.com
You have a new DVR and power supply. We’ll ship a set of cameras next.

OP
D

DesertBike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Appreciate that. Let me see whether the system keeps shutting down or fails to power up, over the next several rides. I should know for sure by the end of the week.

kamkar1

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
When you get to put on the new cameras, try and see if you can be gentle with the wires, and maybe have less severe bends in them if you have that.
The advent of remote cameras ( one or more ) do seem to have added 1 more level of possible complexity to vehicle cameras.

I am currently testing a brand new brand and model dashcam, and was having problems from day #1, but the following days i figured out that if i unplugged the remote rear camera the system performed well.
So not wanting to go without the rear camera i put on a spare cable i had from another brand dashcam, and by chance it worked and aside for other things making the system unstable, once i figured those out the system have performed pretty good for a brand new brand and model of dashcam ( it actually have 3 cameras but only the rear one are remote )

OP
D

DesertBike

Reaction score
Country
United States
I suppose it's gotta be something with the cameras - we've replaced everything else (save the GPS antenna)!

For testing purposes, I'll leave the GPS antenna unplugged at first - just to rule that out as part of the problem.

OP
D

DesertBike

Reaction score
Country
United States
We're done here, folks.

Over the past few weeks, I tried the following things:

--new cameras installed, GPS antenna left disconnected. DVR still shuts down.*

--moved DVR from inside fairing to behind (but not beneath) seat, just in front of top case. DVR shut down whenever it was hot out.*

--made sun shield for DVR, consisting of a piece of plastic with thermal insulation tape (the kind of stuff you would wrap an exhaust with), to keep the sun off the DVR. It still shut down whenever the sun was up.*

--moved DVR under seat. Same behavior as before, though it took a bit longer to shut down.

*I haven't done bench testing (e.g. plugging it in and pointing a hair dryer at it, or running it in a heated room) but I think the DVR suffers from a basic inability to cope with heat.

I did have the K2 work perfectly for a few rides. But it was only those rides we took at sunset or later, when the temperature was down to 85°F or less. Any daylight ride, and it would consistently shut down. Leave it off long enough, and/or give it plenty of air (such as by riding on the interstate for 10-15 minutes), and it will power up again and work for a while - until it overheated again.

Can't prove it without temperature logging, but it acts like the DVR is overheating & shutting itself off as a means of self-protection. Can take as long as an hour, sometimes happened within 30 minutes of leaving home.

Either that, or the power supply was initiating shutdowns, for the same reason.

Of course, this inability to operate in hot weather makes it useless as a dashcam.

OCDTronic, I appreciate your efforts to fix this situation, but it's not fixable. Innovv needs to redesign their DVR and/or power supply so it's reliable in hotter climates. I've had 3 (both power supply & DVR) that all behaved exactly the same, regardless of firmware used. It's a hardware problem.

I haven't removed the K2 from my bike, I mean it DOES work on night rides so might as well leave it. I guess I'll wait for the Viofo MT1 to come out and give that a shot next.

OCD Tronic

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Sorry it didn’t work out not sure what’s unique to your ride. We’ve replaced everything. No other reports of your situation so not sure what would need to be redesigned for a one off. We’ve sold thousands of these world wide in plenty of hot climates too. It’s a disappointing mystery for sure though sorry again.

OP
D

DesertBike

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's the most insane part of it...there isn't anything unique about my bike. It's a perfectly standard Suzuki Vstrom DL1000.

Innovv needs to look at heat dissipation. That's the only thing left, and my testing strongly suggests it is the culprit. Either the power supply or DVR or both is overheating and shutting down.

I don't know how else you explain that the K2 works fine in winter, but shuts down whenever the sun's up in the summer.

Last edited:

OCD Tronic

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Where is your main DVR exactly? near something extra hot or no ventilation? There are plenty of hot climate customers not reporting this issue so nothing to compare against. (Texas, south Florida, southern California, Nevada desert, Middle East, Australia you name it)

We’ve replaced everything for you, some parts three times now. It’s a bit of a mystery for sure.

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
G1W-S, G1W-HC, G1W clone, B1W, K2S, B2W, (ex N2Pro & Mobius)
Been following along here for some time, and wondering WTF? myself.

So I just did a google on Vstroms and charging, and it appears from several forums that these have a problem with the rotor magnets moving out of place, and there's many reports of stator and regulator/rectifier issues too, which can lead to low charging rates and/or the presence of AC voltage where it should be DC only (rectifier). From what little I've read it also seems the guys who use battery maintainer charging while parked often never discover low voltage problems until they forget to plug in and the next time out their bike dies or won't restart after a stop.

So I don't know if @DesertBike is aware of these things or whether he's checked them but it may be where the root of the cam problems are at.

Phil