K2000 mod

Sergiuli

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi Guys,
Looking at the pictures of the disassembled K2000 I saw the ease with which you can disassemble the camera.
It would be convenient to mount the camera behind the mirror and the box with the monitor hidden under the dash to prevent it see from the outside with the risk of it being stolen.
The camera is connected to the card via a ribbon cable, you can lengthen the cable, about 2.5 meters, without a significant loss of signal?
What do you think, is it a difficult job?

p.s. Sorry for my ItalianEnglish

I think buying a more compact camera would be much better than trying to split a camera in two halves that was never designed with this in mind

The price at which you buy this dashcam is unlikely to find one with the separate components ... if we could do this mod I'm convinced that it would make the happiness of many users.
If someone gives me a hand to the realization I will post all the photos of the work.
Thanks for Yours help

What kind of ribbon is it?
What does it say on it:
dashcamtalk.com_cams_k5000_K5000_20Internal_203.jpg

Maybe you can order a longer ribbon on ebay. If you can get another ribbon that's not longer but is inexpensive enough for you to destroy, you can try individually extending each cable in the ribbon and see what you get. Snip the ribbon (one at a time) and solder a longer wire to the cut cable.

Thanks for help.
Do you know how many wires in the ribbon? How much can be it longer?

I don't know how many wires are in the ribbon. Let's wait for DashCamMan. He should know.

I can see from the tracks on the board that there a lot of connections. The ribbon cable (I don't know which one in the picture is for the camera module but this applies to either of them) has what looks to be at least about 20 connections. That's a lot of wire needed to extend. The other major concern I have with doing this is that the signal level likely won't be very high and probably will be fairly sensitive to interference. Image corruption may occur at long lengths or it might not even work at all.

Cameras that are designed for this will send a multiplexed signal down a few wires and at a level suitable for transmission over a number of metres.

I'm not saying this absolutely will not work, but it certainly is unlikely, and the connection between the units will be messy and unwieldy.

Unfortunately I don't know how many wires are in the ribbon or if extending would work.

Thanks all!
I'd like to try but I'm not an electronics ...btw, I'll post everything should be usefull ...please, You too

Back