K2000 not working after 2 months

half assed

New Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2012
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
South Florida
Country
United States
So I bought a K2000 about 2 months ago. Worked fine until about a week ago. It wouldn't turn on right away when I plugged it in, but after a few minutes with the red light on it would switch to blue/red and begin recording as normal. This happened about 3-4 times in a row. Now it doesn't want to turn on even plugged in. I have left it plugged in well over an hour.



I think the battery is toast. What do you guys think? Time to buy something else?
 

DashCamMan

Administrator
Joined
Jun 30, 2012
Messages
2,013
Reaction score
1,034
Country
Canada
Hi half assed,

I believe the camera should be able to work without the battery. Sounds like it might be a different problem.
 
OP
half assed

half assed

New Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2012
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
South Florida
Country
United States
damn. I tried not to leave it in the sun. I suppose it got cooked.


I'm building a mount for my Sony DSC WX100 and try that as a dash cam. If it doesn't, I'll probably save for a GoPro Hero 2. :mrgreen:
 

jokiin

Well-Known Member
Manufacturer
Joined
Jan 27, 2013
Messages
50,022
Reaction score
28,262
Location
Sydney, Australia ~ Shenzhen, China
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
half assed said:
damn. I tried not to leave it in the sun. I suppose it got cooked.


I'm building a mount for my Sony DSC WX100 and try that as a dash cam. If it doesn't, I'll probably save for a GoPro Hero 2. :mrgreen:
GoPro is a great sport cam, I wouldn't want one is a dash cam though, it's just not designed with that use in mind, not knocking GoPro product at all, it's just not the intended application
 
OP
half assed

half assed

New Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2012
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
South Florida
Country
United States
jokiin said:
GoPro is a great sport cam, I wouldn't want one is a dash cam though, it's just not designed with that use in mind, not knocking GoPro product at all, it's just not the intended application
Neither is my Sony. I've never used a GoPro, but I have read they are super reliable and the Hero 2 & 3 have excellent video quality. Many motorcycle riders use them to record while they ride. Plus it could more useful than a dash cam for other video purposes.

I'm reluctant at this point to drop $150+ on a "good" chinese dvr. :cool:
 

jokiin

Well-Known Member
Manufacturer
Joined
Jan 27, 2013
Messages
50,022
Reaction score
28,262
Location
Sydney, Australia ~ Shenzhen, China
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
half assed said:
jokiin said:
GoPro is a great sport cam, I wouldn't want one is a dash cam though, it's just not designed with that use in mind, not knocking GoPro product at all, it's just not the intended application
Neither is my Sony. I've never used a GoPro, but I have read they are super reliable and the Hero 2 & 3 have excellent video quality. Many motorcycle riders use them to record while they ride. Plus it could more useful than a dash cam for other video purposes.

I'm reluctant at this point to drop $150+ on a "good" chinese dvr. :cool:
what I mean by designed for purpose is that a proper dash cam does things like record when powered up from the vehicle, does data logging etc, if your usage is just casual then a GoPro might suit your needs, a cam that might get removed for other uses or that needs manual interaction to get it going or needs to be taken off every time you park somewhere is not really a dash cam that's going to be there when needed

having bought a lemon product though obviously doesn't help you think positively about the product
 
OP
half assed

half assed

New Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2012
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
South Florida
Country
United States
tested out my sony dsc-wx100 camera today. I love the video quality. :D


 
Last edited by a moderator:

DashCamMan

Administrator
Joined
Jun 30, 2012
Messages
2,013
Reaction score
1,034
Country
Canada
The video seems a bit wavy, even when you are not moving.
 

rjgscotland

Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2013
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Location
Scotland
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
DVR-007
That's the good old rolling shutter effect kicking in. CMOS sensors are notorious for it! Some are better than others, though. The wavyness in this video will be from the vibration of the engine in turn vibrating the camera, and because of the way CMOS sensors scan line by line, the vibration translates to wobbly video. Sudden turns left or right would result in vertical lines or objects being skewed.
 

jokiin

Well-Known Member
Manufacturer
Joined
Jan 27, 2013
Messages
50,022
Reaction score
28,262
Location
Sydney, Australia ~ Shenzhen, China
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
rjgscotland said:
That's the good old rolling shutter effect kicking in. CMOS sensors are notorious for it! Some are better than others, though. The wavyness in this video will be from the vibration of the engine in turn vibrating the camera, and because of the way CMOS sensors scan line by line, the vibration translates to wobbly video. Sudden turns left or right would result in vertical lines or objects being skewed.
I would have thought his vibration issues were related to his subwoofers, it sure sounds that may, no wobbling when the music stopped toward the end
 

rjgscotland

Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2013
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Location
Scotland
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
DVR-007
Ha! Yes, quite likely... I didn't even know there was significant bass as I was only listening low volume on netbook speakers...
 
OP
half assed

half assed

New Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2012
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
South Florida
Country
United States
Yeah 4 12s will really shake the camera :lol:

The mount I built is not very stiff either, but I'm sure it would rattle the same until I turn the music off which ain't happening. :D

Night test I took last night: I was impressed with the night quality.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
half assed

half assed

New Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2012
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
South Florida
Country
United States
here is the mount that I made for it really quick.

It is hard to use this cam as a dash cam as the battery only lasts about 45 mins recording HD video, but I will look into some type of charger for it that will work in my car.


 

ExMet

Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2012
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Itronics ITB-100HD
half assed said:
here is the mount that I made for it really quick.
That mount is a serious safety hazard. How is it secured?
Does your car have airbags?
If you're ever in an accident, you or your passenger might have that mount flying into your face.
 

jokiin

Well-Known Member
Manufacturer
Joined
Jan 27, 2013
Messages
50,022
Reaction score
28,262
Location
Sydney, Australia ~ Shenzhen, China
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
you can actually get cam mounts with the screw fitting to suit the bottom of your camera

reminds me of the very first cam cam (of sorts) I ever saw, I was in St Petersburg Russia about 5 years ago and my taxi driver had a Sony Camcorder mounted to the dash and hard wired in, he manually hit record at the start of every journey and recorded every trip, he was sick of fighting over who was in the wrong in accidents and all the corruption that goes along with it
 
OP
half assed

half assed

New Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2012
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
South Florida
Country
United States
ExMet said:
That mount is a serious safety hazard. How is it secured?
Does your car have airbags?
If you're ever in an accident, you or your passenger might have that mount flying into your face.
I made it with some stuff I had laying around just to see if this camera would even work well enough. It's secured with velcro. I agree it could be a safety hazard though. The airbag is mounted below the edge of the dash, btw. I plan to remove this as soon as I come up with a better solution that doesn't ruin my dash and doesn't mount to the windshield. Anything mounted to the windshield is illegal in Florida except for rear view mirrors, ez passes, and GPS units.


jokiin said:
you can actually get cam mounts with the screw fitting to suit the bottom of your camera
I realized that, but that requires me to buy one. Why buy one and then this camera turns out to suck? It would be a waste of money. All I needed was a 1/4"-20 bolt with a tab to secure it for $1.
 

jokiin

Well-Known Member
Manufacturer
Joined
Jan 27, 2013
Messages
50,022
Reaction score
28,262
Location
Sydney, Australia ~ Shenzhen, China
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
half assed said:
I plan to remove this as soon as I come up with a better solution that doesn't ruin my dash and doesn't mount to the windshield. Anything mounted to the windshield is illegal in Florida except for rear view mirrors, ez passes, and GPS units.
is that just a Florida thing? is it related to blocking field of view or some other reason do you know?

seems an odd rule if nothing to do with blocking field of view, a windscreen mount would be a lot safer than your big metal strap I would have thought, anyway, rules are rules

half assed said:
jokiin said:
you can actually get cam mounts with the screw fitting to suit the bottom of your camera
I realized that, but that requires me to buy one. Why buy one and then this camera turns out to suck? It would be a waste of money. All I needed was a 1/4"-20 bolt with a tab to secure it for $1.
what I meant was once you had decided if it would work for your situation is that you can get professional mounts with the screw fitting, given the 4 x 12's you've got banging away there I thought you'd be needing something solid, just making a suggestion
 
Top