K2S switching to 2fps when driving

knwatkins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I installed my dashcam fully and today is my first day at recording. I have the recording loop set to 10 minutes because I want the longest possible times. I have noticed that when driving, sometimes the recording does not reach 10 minutes and instead switches to 2fps for a random time, then back to 30fps.

For example:
10 minutes @ 30fps > 6 minutes @ 30fps > 2 minutes @ 2fps > 10 minutes @ 30fps

Any ideas?

Personally, I would suggest using a smaller file time as if you need to send evidence to the police or insurance company the file would be too large to email. I prefer 3min files it also helps me to locate files quicker. Memory is important fort this cam, Camdii recommend the High Endurance range from San-disk. Maybe Rayman from MEG could better answer your question above.

Thanks for the advice Lee. I'll try the 3 minute loop time to see if it makes any difference. I look forward to Rayman's opinion.

3 minute segment size are my favorite, and it dosent matter if you want to save a 2 hour drive, just drop the XX number of files into a video editor and output them as one file.
In the old days this was a issue as segments had a overlap, but modern cameras don't have / need this safety feature, older dashcam players like registrator viewer could strip this overlap automatic, and also bundle your segments up into the drive sessions ( start to stop ) and then you could export one of those as 1 file with a couple of mouse clicks.

I must admit i have not tried any other segment size than 3 minutes on my test sample, maybe i should focus on this too to take my testing more serious.

Personally, I would suggest using a smaller file time as if you need to send evidence to the police or insurance company the file would be too large to email.
Even 15 seconds is too big for email - I've tried it (not from the K2S)

I agree though that using a shorter file is good practice, to keep the size down for uploading to the police or elsewhere, and to minimise losses in the event of file corruption.

Personally I use the shortest duration that my cameras allow, either 3min or 1min.

People i turn in a do a private YT upload of just the event, and then if police care to do their job i throw the raw files on a CD and drop it off at the police station.

I have noticed that when driving, sometimes the recording does not reach 10 minutes and instead switches to 2fps for a random time, then back to 30fps.
Whilst 10 minutes is a bit long for loop recording, I'm surprised that the camera might switch to 2fps by itself. Did you notice whether the switches coincide with anything, such as stop/start activation on your car?

Whilst 10 minutes is a bit long for loop recording, I'm surprised that the camera might switch to 2fps by itself. Did you notice whether the switches coincide with anything, such as stop/start activation on your car?
sounds like it's going into parking mode

Thanks for the input guys. It coincided with me having the settings on a 10 minute loop and video quality on ultimate. I will revert to 3 minutes loop recording and see if that resolves it.

I was also thinking that it sounds like it is going into parking mode. It is definately not stop/start because my car does not have this functionality. As a test, I will connect both the yellow and red wires to permanent 12V.

Just to provide some feedback on this, I set the loop to 3 minutes and all is now working as expected.

I assume the cause is a software bug when set to 10 minute loop.

yes must be a bug in the firmware, lets hope @Rayman.Chan see this.

Back