Kamkar1 findings on SJ7 star

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
So it seem like no changes to settings will stick after the camera have been turned off and then on again.
Also removing the battery will reset the clock timer.
I have a feeling this is all down to the same missing thing in firmware.

Most things you can change and have them work just fine, but if you turn off the camera it is back to default when it boot up again.
But gyro sensor / image stabilization dont seem to be working even just after you made the change, and off course this too dont get saved when you turn camera off

The way you change date/time and wifi name and ssid seem troublesome and slow, but off course it is not something you will be doing often.

I would assume the camera is supposed to boot with the changes made in the last session, but as nothing is saved the camera boot with default settings.

Recording stuff.
The camera do a great job with a few things to mention.
1: the default color scheme seem a bit over saturated.
2: 1080/120 seem like a frame or two is dropped now and then, but i am not sure if this is due to the low daytime light up here, will be keeping a eye on this in the future.

WIFI / camera - phone/tablet connection is working good for me, preview also look like it have less lag than other cameras i have tried with wifi :)
If lag in preview could be made less down the road it would be nice, but its not a feature worth spending time now, other more important things to look at i would say.

I am not quite sure if my adjustment of the focus is in the sweet spot yet, its so dark and grey outside that the camera always use slow exposure timings, so it is hard to tell.
So will have to keep a eye on this before i fix the lens in place again.

With my Yi and Git 2 my specific settings are continuous through battery changes, it will be a cliff-like downside if SJCam doesn't fix these potential hassles!
Wow! You can actually have adjustable focus? Does it lock to prevent inadvertant change?

yes by unscrewing the lens, it was focused a bit too far off when i got it, so i unscrewed it and made some adjustments.
It is not something people are supposed to do, but i can say if they need to the SJ7 Star is not hard to take apart so you can make changes.

I am sure up coming firmware will make changes to the SJ7, not quite sure how many the Sj6 legend already seen, but its firmware is far from v1.0 of the SJ7

It seem like i have found a way to lock up the SJ7 with nothing to do but pull the battery.

If i take SD card out of camera and put it in my card reader to copy the files on it to my computer, and then put the card back in the camera unchanged but for the files been copied to my computer.
At boot there seem to be nothing wrong and you can enter / exit changes as you please, but if you press record the camera lock up not recording and with a beeping sound, and all you can do is pull battery to stop it.

BUT ! if you format the sd card in camera before pressing record then everything is fine.

Also i can do the same on the SJ6 legend and it dont care just start to record as you would expect.

I will have a video of this shortly.

yeah but i have just taken that route a few times as i did not have much on the sd card and wanted to get a little more in.

I can understand if i deleted some files on the card, or moved them off the card, but as i have just copied them off the card the file structure should be the same and so cause no problems.

if it's a repeatable bug and can be confirmed on another camera then it will be something to look into

Back