Keeps asking to format

franka

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my camera running for over two weeks now, and i am very pleased with it.

However, it sometimes[infrequently] asks me to format the sd card. This only happens at power up and so far hasn't happened during a drive. If i manually turn the camera off and then on again it runs perfectly.
It happens with all cards. They are:-
1-32GB Toshiba exceria[supplied with the camera]
2-64GB Toshiba exceria-purchased from Amazon
3-64GB Samsung EVO-purchased from Amazon

All cards were first formatted in the computer and were checked with "h2testw_1.4"-no faults found

The cards were then formatted in the camera before use.

The camera is supplied from a 12V to 5V DC convertor permanently wired in. This has been in use on my previous camera for 2 years with no problems.

Could it be a problem with firmware which needs re-installing?

Your replies will be appreciated.

Try original power supply charger that came along with SGGCX2.

Yep with what you say you have done so far, the power supply seem to be the culprit.
The PSU that came with the CX2 should wire in fine too, just cut the cigarette plug off it and wire it up.

All cards were first formatted in the computer and were checked with "h2testw_1.4"-no faults found

what program did you use to format the cards?

The camera is supplied from a 12V to 5V DC convertor permanently wired in. This has been in use on my previous camera for 2 years with no problems.

what power supply are you using?

the way he say 2 year old 12 to 5 V converter i fear its one of those cheap things.

the way he say 2 year old 12 to 5 V converter i fear its one of those cheap things.

it could be something decent but still not suitable, this issue is more often power related than it is memory related so always something we'd need to check

Yes first up should be a test with the SG PSU, maybe a drive here and there with a lot of stop / start events.

Just do a temp setup with wires dangling or tucked up over sunshades as i do some times to get them sort of out of the way.

what program did you use to format the cards?

what power supply are you using?

To format i used "FAT32 formatter" downloaded from your support centre.

The PSU is a 12V to 5V3A solid state device from Chine via Ebay.

To format i used "FAT32 formatter" downloaded from your support centre.

The PSU is a 12V to 5V3A solid state device from Chine via Ebay.

power supply could be the issue, you can try setting the boot delay to 15 seconds instead of 5 and it might be ok with that power supply

the formatter is only for customers on the older model cameras, it's not needed for yours, to put things back to how they should be download this https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ and do a full format (needs to be a full format, not quick) of the cards to put them back to their default config, then format in the camera before use

As suggested i increased the boot time to 15 seconds. I also powered the camera from the supplied PSU, plugged into the cigarette lighter.
Since then i have completed a number of short drives without a problem

However, i just went out for another short drive and "format the sd card" showed straight away after booting. As before, i turned the camera off[not the ignition] and after turning it back on all was okay again. As before i did not have to format the card. To me it now appears that if it is not a firmware fault then it must be a hardware problem....??

EDIT:- I do not want to return this camra because[to quote an old English saying] "this camera is the best thing since sliced bread!!"

Last edited:
As I understand you are using 3rd party power supply, right?

No. At the moment i am using the PSU supplied in the box with the camera. As suggested by "kamkar1" in post 7 above.

Sound like you have gotten a gremlin on the deal too, normally SG dont like to sell those as they have some kind of fetish about them :giggle:

As suggested i increased the boot time to 15 seconds. I also powered the camera from the supplied PSU, plugged into the cigarette lighter.
Since then i have completed a number of short drives without a problem

However, i just went out for another short drive and "format the sd card" showed straight away after booting. As before, i turned the camera off[not the ignition] and after turning it back on all was okay again. As before i did not have to format the card. To me it now appears that if it is not a firmware fault then it must be a hardware problem....??

EDIT:- I do not want to return this camra because[to quote an old English saying] "this camera is the best thing since sliced bread!!"

what card are you using currently?

power supply could be the issue, you can try setting the boot delay to 15 seconds instead of 5 and it might be ok with that power supply

the formatter is only for customers on the older model cameras, it's not needed for yours, to put things back to how they should be download this https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ and do a full format (needs to be a full format, not quick) of the cards to put them back to their default config, then format in the camera before use

You've done a great job documenting what you've done franka, but I was wondering if you downloaded the formatting software jokiin referred to and also do a "full" format, then format in the dash cam as well?

You've done a great job documenting what you've done franka, but I was wondering if you downloaded the formatting software jokiin referred to and also do a "full" format, then format in the dash cam as well?

I have downloaded the SD formatter suggested by "jokiin", done a full format, checked the integrity of the card with h2testw_1.4 and then formtted in the camera.

what card are you using currently?

I am using a 64GB Toshiba exceria from Amazon[as sold by Amazon].

The firmware version in my camera is 20171009.V.3

I notice from your support site the latest version is 20171103.V.3

Should i download and install the later version

Last edited:
Back