Kenwood dashcam died - twice

Tony214

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new car, bought in 2020 came with a factory-fitted Kenwood dashcam. For a while it worked, despite an annoying tendency to reset to factory default settings for no apparent reason.

After about 11 months the screen failed, rendering the dashcam unusable. When I complained I was given a replacement unit. This, too, failed, in exactly the same way - but it waited until it was out of warranty.

Is this kind of thing an inherent fault of dashcams, or should I be able to buy a replacement that will work properly for at least 5 years?

If I get a replacement, what should I buy?

Welcome to the forum Tony.

It is pretty normal for various brands to slap their own brand on some generic product, some times some really cheap stuff but i also think some have worked with the higher tier dashcam brands.

The LCD failing do happen but it is not something you should expect to happen sooner or later, but more a freak of nature, i have personally never seen it happen and on average i have had 3-4 systems in my car for the past 10 years.
But the issue have surfaced in here a few times, it can be the ribbon cable that connect to the LCD that have come loose, these click in place in a little socket so if not properly done from the factory, it can wiggle loose even if you are not driving a landrover off-road every weekend.
Generally with a OK dashcam, the chance are much higher that it will be your memory card that die first, this some times happen really fast, i had 2 that died on me before i got to fill the card just 1 single time.
BUT ! in general memory cards will also work just fine, depending on how much you drive ( data you generate ) the memory card should at least last you 2-3 years, of course here if you have a large card it will take longer to fill and so should also last longer VS a really small card like a 32 GB one.
These days you should at least get 128 GB memory card, and 256 GB if you can ( the camera support it and you can afford it )
It will be a good idea to get a card that have warranty for dashcam / CCTV camera use, but these endurance cards are far in between, and some of them also have a too low write speed, but there are options.
Mind you ! i have often get none warranty cards swapped none the less as the brick and mortar store where i got it dont care and just hand out a new one, but this have also worked via Amazon for me, actually the 2 fast dying cards i mentioned, they was both from Amazon and as i recall did not have any warranty when used in dashcams.

Today and not least for dual or treble camera systems you want memory cards with 80 MB/s write speeds, and a few endurance and others support that, but it is very few " regular " memory cards that support dashcams, but one such card is the Adata premiere pro i got in 256 GB recently, i have used a similar in 128 GB for a few years, and i can not recall it not working in any dashcam i have tested, some high end dashcam brands are a bit finicky with the memory cards, but in general most dashcams can use many brand and models of memory cards as long as they have a sufficient write speed.

premier-pro-jpg.64494

Adata high endurance for instance, i have tested it in 4 different cameras but it have only worked in1 dahscam, but it work fine in my action camera too.
But the camera do have a high write speed, just for some strange reason not happy in any dashcam ( probably due to the controller it use )
Same go for the new Samsung EVO plus cards ( all white ones ) only working in 1 dashcam so far

But other brands and models, generally work just fine.

Some of my large test memory cards.
img_20230301_191018-jpg.64342

And other smaller ones i also test with.
bottom-barrel-sd-jpg.64356

If you are looking for a single front camera, the Viofo A119 V3 seem popular, a alternative could be the Viofo A119 mini that is slightly smaller than the small V3 system, both are 1440p resolution cameras.

In general a front camera is all you need, it capture anything you do ( at least ) and if you do nothing wrong, well then what happen off camera can not be your fault.
BUT ! I do recommend 2 channel systems, even if in 10 years +95% of the footage i have taken from my cameras to share have been from the front camera, and i have had rear and also side cameras for at least 5 years too, but if / when i go there it is mainly always for B-roll footage.

Regarding to the different brands, well you will easy find lover and haters of all of them, the main thing is to not bet on some unknown brand ( and there are 100s of them not covered in here )

Back