Kenwood DRV-A501WDP Overheating Problem

Dashcam Adventures

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all!

First post here. I came across this forum while searching for answers to an issue I've been experiencing with my dash cam.

I purchased a Kenwood DRV-A501WDP with rear view camera not too long ago. Lately it's been overheating to the point of shutting itself off. I know, you're thinking it's the heat from the sun, right? Nope. This also happens at night. And it only started to do it recently, like within the last few weeks or so. I'm not sure if it's the wiring (I had an installer install it) or the cam itself. Any ideas? Thanks.

Read something about Garmin mini dashcams also suddenly deciding to try and cook them self, maybe the Kenwood are having the same issue.

The guy i saw on youtube don't think so, he can drive for hours and record just fine, the problem seem to come when it change from parking mode, then it go insane hot ( he cant touch it ,,,that hot )

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I have not tried another memory card. It's a 32GB card. Does that typically cause issues like this? I think I have another one around somewhere I can try.
I will also try running it without parking mode turned on. Honestly, I don't even think it works on mine. I've had it turned on and using the lowest sensor setting and it has never recorded anything. I'm not doing much driving lately due to staying at home because of everything that's going on, but I'll report back here when I have something to report. Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies. I have not tried another memory card. It's a 32GB card. Does that typically cause issues like this? I think I have another one around somewhere I can try.
typically no, but a problem memory card can be an issue

Back