Kenwood DRV-A601W - cannot run from sd card on Mac

Coffo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased a Kenwood DRV-A601W DashCam with KCAR 200 rear camera.
This was installed by a VW Dealership into my new VW Taigo car.
Within the first month of use I decide to remove the SD card and run the recorded videos
on my Mac (latest software) computer. (The initial usage of SD was well below the 64Gb maximum.)

The listing was showing videos in 1 minute pieces as expected and could easily be viewed
one after another with Quicktime software.

Some way through however the Quicktime listing showed a 264KB file.- Message from Quicktime was
effectively that it could not run it !

My question is : 1. Why did this Dashcam show/create a 264KB file whereas all the others
were in MB's ? .......... and if Quicktime cannot play it then what software can ?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Did you power off the camera before removing the card? If not there's a high likelihood the file was corrupted and will be unreadable by most (all?) programs.

Why did this Dashcam show/create a 264KB file whereas all the others were in MB's ?

Probably a truncated file. Maybe one of the following things happened after the camera had recorded the first 264KB to the memory card:
  • The camera completely lost power.
  • The camera's contacts momentarily lost contact with the card's contacts (e.g. if the card wasn't fully seated, or the contacts were a bit dirty, and you went over a bump).
  • A firmware bug manifested at that moment.
  • A hardware bug manifested at that moment.

To avoid this in future, maybe:

if Quicktime cannot play it then what software can ?

If you have command-line skills, "mediainfo" and "mpv" are good bets. Otherwise, try VLC. But if the file doesn't contain enough video data, or is otherwise sufficiently corrupt, no player will be able to extract video from it.

Thanks for the advice 'Guys'. Although not of major importance I am still working on it !
Kenwood helpdesk advice was to use the Kenwood Video Player which I attempted to install on my Mac.
Unfortunately (probably because of my ignorance )I am as yet not able to play the large KB portion using this either.
Ho Hum - there are more important things in life ..... Until I really need it !

Welcome to the forum Coffo.

f possible try to play the file on the camera itself, if you do that and the file are corrupted many cameras have a option to fix the file if you playback it there.

Back