Key Lock dashcam/GPS mount?

fchar

Reaction score
Country
Chile
Hello everyone, I just joined this community, I hope to share and contribute!
I would like to ask something maybe not too frequent for dashcam and GPS owners: I'm considering a few"Uber" dashcam models to buy one soon (Vantrue N2 Pro, Viofo 129 Duo IR, Anker Roav Duo), as well as a 5'' Garmin GPS (Drive 51 LM).
One of my main concerns at this time is to protect these devices against theft, since a previous dashcam and GPS were robbed from my car. I was looking especifically for some kind of mount able to not only hold the devices firmly, but also keep it safely attached to prevent being stolen. I'm looking for something very similar to this...

...but unfortunately, all these cradles are designed for bigger devices, such as 7'' or 8'' tablets (the RAM mount from the last link is only compatible with other GPS models).

Eventually, I can use a RAM mount accesory to hold the mount, such as the aluminum rod and round plate (see image), or use the RAM aluminum tough-track to create a more simple configuration for a dash (see image). Please note that some mount devices look very similar to the X-grip mount for mobile phones as shown in the image (this one: https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-378-UN10U) but this is not the type of "safe" mount that I'm looking for.

I guess that find a mount able to protect the dashcam would be more difficult, due to the different shapes and sizes of each model, so maybe a custom mount made by a local car accesories shop could be the solution. Or, to choose a more discreet dashcam (such as the Garmin mini: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/621281), but as far as I know this one has overheating issues).

It would be very helpful to have some orientation with this, because I will travel to USA the next week and I plan to buy the devices and mount(s) there.
Thanks in advance!

Farid.

modalum5.jpgRAM-B-316-1-202U.jpg

Your best chance is to wait a little for the dashcams with remote cameras, these are much smaller cameras, and the main unit you can hide, even in a locked thing i recon ( if you can pass wires thru )
But i would just got for a hidden place in the car, this way it will take some time to follow the wires from the camera units to the actual main unit, not least if you want to use any of the parts again.

Dashcam you should be able to have in the car all the time, but things like a phone or GPS you should not leave in the car, these like a laptop or a purce / wallet are focus points for smash and grab thieves.

Hi kamkar1,
Thanks for your reply. I agree with trying a smaller camera and/or hide it inside the car, that's why I also consider the Garmin dashcam Mini and a couple of similar options, but it seems that the smaller devices could be more prone to overheat. Anyway I can still give a try to the Garmin if is necessary.

Regarding the GPS, yes, I guess the hassle-free solution would be to remove it when I'm away from my car (I bring this device with me when I travel abroad, so anyway I don't want a permanent installation in the car), but the dashcam should be permanently there.

At this moment I'm still unsure which model to buy, since the Vantrue N2 Pro and Anker Roav Duo are quite similar (better quality in the Vantrue, as I see from reviews), or try the A129 Duo IR. This model and similar ones (such as the VanTrue S1) are good alternatives to record the interior cabin, but I think they are bigger size and bigger screen, 2'' vs 1.5'' compared to N2Pro and Roav, so maybe not too discreet and recognizable by burglars.

The camera units of the coming remote systems are only 1/3 the size of a camera like the viofo 129, and smaller than the rear camera currently used in many dual systems.
I have this picture with the small K2S camera VS the rear camera of my SG9663DC which are the same housing viofo also use, as you can see much smaller than even that small rear camera, and i assumethe cameras from other brands will be just as small.
img_20190126_141410-jpg.44306

I would prefer a system like the 129 duo IR as that have the "rear" camera on a wire, and experimenting with my car i find the best place for a cabin camera are on the rear view mirror stalk, where i had my B1W placed for a while.
the 2 in one systems you have to place pretty low on the windscreen, and so it is highly visible, a camera like the 129 duo you can place the front unit as high as you can maybe on the dotted / shade area of the windscreen so only the lens peek out below the dots.
img_20180414_143857-jpg.37475

As to break-in thefts, there are two viable approaches: either have nothing valuable to a thief in the vehicle (perhaps leaving doors unlocked to help prevent car damage) or by making it look like there's nothing of value in the car so the crook will pass you by and seek another target. As to in-person robberies all you can do is chose your reaction if and when that happens.

On lockabkle mounts (and locks in general) if someone wants the cam they will destroy the mount or take it too in order to get the cam. Locks only ever protect against low-level theft attempts as good crooks know how to circumvent them and are prepared to do that.

The usual "Taxi" or "Uber" cams aren't very discreet to a good crook- their size prevents that. Remote cams can do a much better job of this, and even if they are seen the crook might not identify them as being a camera. Even then, they will not necessarily know where the main recording unit is hidden.

I personally prefer the video quality of the N2Pro over the Roav, especially in low-light. The B2W cam appeals to me more for practicality if it can be fitted well in your car; slightly less vid quality daytime than the N2Pro but better at night. IMHO these are the 3 best current "taxi" cams. The N2Pro mounting is somewhat 'fiddly' and hard to use; it also seems prone to rapid wear according to some long-term user reports I've seen. I released the suction cup whenever I wanted to move mine. My B2W isn't mounted normally so I can't comment on that aspect of it. I've not handled a Roav in person. The N2Pro uses a batterty insatead of supercaps and will not be good for use in hotter climates- not sure what the Roav uses.

Viofo's A129 is worth a mention as the vid quality is tops and it's offered with an IR-capable short-cabled remote cam for this kind of usage, but it's a 'wedge' cam with a separate remote unit so regularly moving it would be a hassle.

The K2S dual-remote cam is good for a hidden install and Street Guardian is on the verge of releasing their dual-remote cam which should be better though more costly. The K2S doesn't have an IR-capable cam though, and I'm not sure when SG will offer that option but I think they plan to in time.

So there are my thoughts on the matter, and among all these should be at least one suitable solution for you. Only a few years ago there were almost no good choices for these kinds of cams so consider yourself lucky to be seeking one today!

Phil

The camera units of the coming remote systems are only 1/3 the size of a camera like the viofo 129, and smaller than the rear camera currently used in many dual systems.
I have this picture with the small K2S camera VS the rear camera of my SG9663DC which are the same housing viofo also use, as you can see much smaller than even that small rear camera, and i assumethe cameras from other brands will be just as small.

Hey, that's look pretty nice! I was checking the K2S, a very nice device and the remote ability is actually the kind of discreteness what I'm looking for. The K2S doesn't have IR in the rear cam and it's a bit more expensive, but it's very tempting.
Regarding your other picture, the dashcam that I marked with a red circle in this post, is the A129? It looks thinner that I was expecting. Both the A129 and Vantrue S1 look a bit 'bulky' (and the lens in the S1 seems a bit larger than the A129) but I think the advantage of being placed in the upper part of the windshield helps me more.

On lockabkle mounts (and locks in general) if someone wants the cam they will destroy the mount or take it too in order to get the cam. Locks only ever protect against low-level theft attempts as good crooks know how to circumvent them and are prepared to do that.

Yes, that's why I was looking to RAM mounts, since they appeal very strong. I think in my country there are only low-level thieves without tools (nor brain to use them) but anyway, a discreet device will be always better that paying more to protect a bigger one, so I hope remote dual cams are coming soon.

The N2Pro uses a batterty insatead of supercaps and will not be good for use in hotter climates- not sure what the Roav uses.

The Roav uses a supercapacitor too. I live in a hot a dry climate, so this is somewhat important here.
Thanks a lot for your reply, I have a clearer picture now so I will decide this week based on my current budget (150~180 USD).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 14.37.57.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 14.37.57.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
I am not sure, but the plan was to have cameras with IR light too for the K2S, even some waterproof cameras too, but i don't know if they are out yet, also there now is a PRO version with IMX 291 sensors, so that's what people should go for.
The camera you have circled in is my main camera the SG963DC, which also have a PRO version now with IMX 291 all around, but i am not sure if Street guardian have a IR camera out for that one.
SG will also soon release their dual remote camera, i think it should be out some time next month, also don't know if they have a IR camera for that,,,, they should but i am not sure, if they have it will probably not be there from day #1
In general many people often think the dashcams are large due to photos, but as a gauge you can always look up the screen size it have, and then use that to gauge its size.
As in my car if you have a dotted area on the windscreen you can put most of the camera on that and just have the lens peek out below that, then you have as stealthy a install as you can get with current "normal" dual cameras.
It is not in all cars you can put a cabin camera on the mirror stalk, but i can in mine and i think it is the best spot for a rear facing cabin camera.

If you want you can remove the headrest on the passenger side seat, that way there is even less for people on the back seat to hide behind.

Back