known bugs from beta tester

Using the OBD dongle to just hard wire the camera, and using normal recording, the camera don't shut down, when i got back to my car today after shopping and started the car the camera shut down instead, so i assume it have been recording while i was shopping, though i stopped my car and the camera was in Normal recording mode.
APP and camera have a issue at least in regard to WDR, you can toggle it on / off in the APP and it say its successful, but WDR remain on the camera LCD screen.
APP will not connect to camera before you turn off mobile data ( wifi is connected )
When using wifi the screen are locked with a lot of info on it, dont seem like you can change in between the cameras in the APP or on the button on the camera, and all the wifi related writing seem to be on the camera LCD all the time.
Powering up camera today setting off on my drive, the camera did and said all it should, but the red dot indicating recording never came on, but camera did say recording started.

Ok, finally on board after being quite unwell yesterday. Cam seems to be recording OK on original FW but haven't checked the files.
BUG- the cigarette adaptor is too short to fit my triple-scoket. I almost ruined it adding solder to the tip so it was long enough. It also has weak side-springs and pushes itself out. This is with my triple socket and factory lighter socket which is in almost new condition. PS works correctly otherwise. This part needs a longer 'neck' design and needs stronger side-springs.

Tester notes: I checked my Anker PS with my DMM and discovered that there was a 4 ohm resistance between car ground and USB cable shell. With the K2S adapter the DMM read zero. I am also hearing good audio from the speaker a since I didn't use the Anker, so apparently it is critical to use only the supplied PS or you will damage the audio amp as was said. If Anker, being as good as it is, has a connection between shell and car ground, chances are all other PS's probably do too. The PS being grounded to the shield seems to be normal in dashcams as that same Anker has powered all my cams at one point or another without any problems. If I am correct in this, there are going to be lots of warrantied cams from people using other PS's and HWKs. This needs a hardware redesign so that the cable shell can be grounded (or not) which would allow people to use any good PS they have installed already.

I am concerned about the USB-A to C cable and I hope mine is OK since I'm not sure I can source one locally. In my limited testing I heard nothing on shut-down which I did by unplugging power. I'm running GPS, audio on, 1 min looping, no parking mode, and extreme vid quality. The rest is default. Will do some driving later tonight and check the card afterward and report back. Going to be working tomorrow and maybe Sunday too so I won't have a lot of time to do much with this but I will if I can.

Phil

OK folks I need some assistance with getting the updated firmware loaded. Here's what I did:
1- test working 64GB card in h2testw full write and verify. Card checked 100% OK
2- Formatted card in W8.1 laptop with Windows app, which recognized the previous FAT32 file system and left the card as such
3- DL'ed new firmware via the link here using FF browser.
4-Inserted card which was recognized as drive F
5- right clicked on the downloaded file then from menu clicked "move to" and selected "F"
6- checked properties of card and it showed the amount of space being used on the card was the same as the moved files.

Tried in cam, booted but no joy on firmnware version, so I followed this procedure again, but downloaded and moved the bootloader to the card first, then the firmware. Still no joy. Re-downloaded firmware and tried again with no joy.

I think I heard the cam say something about firmware each time on startup, but with my rotten hearing I can't be certain. When I checked FW version via the cam menu it shows the old version. Turning cam off and rebooting it got the same results.

So where am I screwing up, and what to do to get the new FW onto the card and into the cam?

Phil

Last edited:
Use a 32GB or smaller card.

Or format the card in the camera first, it probably needs to be FAT32 format.

Well i actually dident look in the menu to see the FW number after upgrading, but the procedure seemed to be as one would expect, but will take a look tomorrow to be sure.

My bad-it was formatted in FAT32. I'l edit my post.

Phil

Will try in-cam format in a few minutes. My only 32 GB card is probably dead and all I have otherwise are 64GB Samsung and Transcend (the good stuff).

Phil

You did take the firmware out of the zip file?

I didn't use the loader.
I powered the camera using the micro USB port and a mains charger to ensure stable power while the firmware installed.
You need to give it a bit of time to install and start up.

I think that's it- I didn't unzip the file., Will do now. Thanks (y)

Phil

Hardware bug: the power button is very flimsy - keeps coming out.

Hardware bug: the power button is very flimsy - keeps coming out.

Mine is still intact, however it is tough to feel the position detents, especially in colder weather. Definitely needs some attention in this area.

BTW thanks to @Nigel I think my firmware update worked, but I still get no voice on shutdown whether done by switch or by cutting power, so I'm probably going to have to swap out the USB mini to USB-3 power cable.

Phil

My rear camera had fallen off the glass today, sticking it back on dident work so will have to find something new and sticky to use on it, but i think i will try the 1 camera /60 FPS for some days.

New problems:
1- GPS didn't reset to correct date and time after new firmware was installed; continued after a card format in-cam. Functioned properly with original firmware.
2- Cam doesn't start recording on power-up about half of the time. Red LED on screen blinking as normal. Cam stops recording after 10 to 20 minutes use, even though screen shown blinking red recording indicator. Card is100% good h2testw. Does not seem to be power-related but I'll try another ciggie socket tomorrow to verify. Also file lengths are inconsistent from a few seconds to 3 minutes length.
3- "Extreme" vid quality is grainy and pixelated; oversharpening? Will step down one setting tomorrow. Vids on my review page shortly.
4- G-sensor too sensitive. My workvan rides rough but even on "low" I'm getting numerous reactions. Have turned off G-sensor for now.

Phil

@SawMaster are you using provided USB-A -> USB-C cable for power? I had the same symptoms until I replaced it with a different one.

I use the provided A -> C wire for power and it is working fine for me, got another longer one for use with the OBD but i am not using that at the moment.
I did also try another A -> C cable of mine, but somehow it was very loose in the camera where as in my phone it is a nice firm fit, but it did also work.

Lately my camera seem to have a slower cold boot GPS fix, often only getting connected right at the end of the first recording.

Anybody of you have "WDR" on the camera display ? i am not sure if it was there always or i toggled it ON trying the APP, either way with the APP i can not turn it off again WDR remain on the LCD screen though APP say "successful" when i make a change.
Also in APP you just have one EV value adjustment, not sure of that's for both cameras at the same time, APP seem very rudimentary at the moment ( not tried all its features )
This morning turning LCD to always on before setting off, after making change and exit menu camera say record start, but no red dot come on and no recording made.

Also i an still getting random errors in saving last file on a drive session, some times it work others it don't no matter how long the session have been, i am inclined to think this are something in regard to the shut down procedure of the camera, and it is something pretty tight timed so it work fine often but then suddenly for no reason don't work correct.
As i said it is very random, i had it happen yesterday getting home from my mothers place, and that was the first time in 10 days or so ( several drive sessions )

The failure to name first file correct are strange some times the creation time/date on the memory card are true but the time/date camera choose to use are the default 01-01-2018 even though the camera do have a GPS fix and changed its time/date stamp to the correct one long before first file end.

It seem like the camera want to use file name according to the start of the file, cuz if it did by the end of the file and camera have GPS fix for minutes already and so the correct time/date in the footage stamp, then it should be saved with the correct name if it use end time for name.

And judging by working files the camera also use file end time as file name, so now i am inclined to think it have nothing to do with RTC battery but more a code error.
But then again, if it was a code error it should always be wrong, and it is not only after having been parked for some hours, and then that's not always the case or i would have many more files on my memory card named with the default 01-01-2018 time/date ?????
I am glad i am not in the shoes of Rayman Chan, cuz i like to fix problems but with this i have no idea where to look so i would be very frustrated and sad.

I will be testing my memory card tonight, but i don't think that's the problem ?

Last edited:
@SawMaster are you using provided USB-A -> USB-C cable for power? I had the same symptoms until I replaced it with a different one.

Still stuck with it- can't find a replacement locally yet. Thing is it worked much better with the original firmware and that same cable which I find odd.

Phil

A notice to the group:
I'll be out of sorts for awhile as the newly rebuilt transmission in my workvan has failed. I will bring the cam inside and do things with it here but I'll have no recordings to share until I get the van sorted out.

Phil

I am leaving parking guard for now until a new firmware make some changes, i have been over all the parking settings settings two times by now and think i have listed all the problems so far.

Thank you very much for your detail test on the parking guard function, I am sorting the bugs that is quite a lot items (y)

Welcome back Rayman.
Yes we have been digging hard at the camera while you have been lying on your back and relaxing :)
The K2S are still operating as good as it can, and are ready for the next firmware.

thanks for all your efforts, I owe you guys a big beer if you have time to travel to China! ;)

we will have a meeting today to discuss the feedbacks here.

Back