known bugs from beta tester

Within the past 4 days i have seen the camera not come on after parking mode ( a few minutes of shopping )
I have not yet analyzed if it have been recording while parked or not at those instances, i had my hands full of groceries just now so will retrieve memory card later and have a look at it.
Still powered via OBD and using G sensor motion detect for parking mode.

Within the past 4 days i have seen the camera not come on after parking mode

Saw the same again today, leaving the house of my 4 legged friend at 17:52 ( last parking file seeing me pass by to get into car ) then kilometers down the road i noticed the camera was not recording so had to turn it on manual at 18:03 or so.
So i am now inclined to think there are a general hand over problem from parking mode to normal mode when the memory card are full.
The camera seem to happily enter parking mode every time, but coming out of it with a full memory card can some times be a issue it seem, sadly it is not every tingle time it happen as that would make trouble shooting more easy.

I had 1 stop at the gas station on the way out, and that the camera handled well, and going home after this specified above i again had a stop at the gas station, and also this was handled well.
So only 1 of 3 parking mode -> normal mode transitions today was messed up.
Which is why i said finding the reason might not be as easy as one would expect.
I have never seen this issue with the memory card not full yet, then it seem to handle the transition perfect, so i think its something in the code that some times can trip the transition with a full memory card.
It might be solvable with a slowing down a little of the transition between the 2 states, cuz some times it work some times it don't, making me think it may be related to whether the camera did a file delete just before entering parking mode or not.
But exiting parking mode to normal the code i assume should be "If no card space /delete file ( to make room ) then normal record ( mode 1 )

I have a feeling that cameras using parking mode are like 2 modes, for instance like mobius cameras have, so mode 1 are normal drive with the parameters you have set for that, and mode 2 are parking mode with the parameters you have choose for that.
So the camera change in between the 2 modes either by ACC like in cameras using 3 wire hard wire kit, or in this case with 2 wire "hard wire" kit on the OBD port by G sensor activation.

Last edited:
I assume for a dashcam not using parking mode the code would read something like ( to contend with full memory card )

If card full / delete ( one or more ) oldest file / then record ( mode 1 ) assuming mode 1 are normal record.
The code must have something like that cuz otherwise how would it handle a memory card being full.
And this i think might be what trip up the K2S some times, cuz it seem by chance some times when going from parking to normal the camera go "OMG here are no storage space", and then shut down, and it should just go "delete a old file or two" ( to make room ) no matter what when the care are full / then record mode 1 ( normal record )

Needless to say i know frawck all about any form of coding.

I am synchronously test this on my desk.
are you still kept the log file in microSD card? please share the log file to me rayman@megcn.com

Thanks

Not a bug, but a happy report instead :)

We've had several days here with the afternoon hours being 35C (95F) degrees and I've been recording with the cam screen on constantly. Two of those days my closed van was parked in full sun and it felt like an oven inside. No problem in the slightest, both cams and the main unit feel reasonably cool compared to others I have running, no focus shift, no recording errors.

So I think I'm safe in saying that this cam will handle hot climates well (y)

Phil

apparently it is critical to use only the supplied PS or you will damage the audio amp as was said. If Anker, being as good as it is, has a connection between shell and car ground, chances are all other PS's probably do too. The PS being grounded to the shield seems to be normal in dashcams as that same Anker has powered all my cams at one point or another without any problems. If I am correct in this, there are going to be lots of warrantied cams from people using other PS's and HWKs. This needs a hardware redesign so that the cable shell can be grounded (or not) which would allow people to use any good PS they have installed already.

Sorry for quoting myself but we'we heard nothing on this (or this cam!) in awhile. I spent time yesterday re-doing my power scheme and had forgotten about this cam being picky about powering. I swapped PS's around and discovered the cam wouldn't boot so I'm just back in at my desk after yet another hour of re-doing how my cams are powered just to make this one work properly again :confused: I still feel that requiring a specific power supply is the wrong way to go, and that it would be better to use the usual mini-USB connection for power instead of the USB-3. I'll have to check the cam for audio later- I hope I didn't kill the audio amp.

Any closer to this cam being released to market?

Phil

I am relocating mine tomorrow, after today's lucky escape i don't want to chance it anymore with my mobius 1, and the innovv C3 on the right somehow its power button have come off and are gone.
So doubling up on the sides with the K2S, and in a little experiment today i found that i can actually angle the cameras forward quite a bit, but for starters the cameras will go strait on the glass until i can fab 2 wedged i can put in between camera and glass to angle them.

Okay not today or Sunday due to chance of rain in my area, but Monday look to be a good day to tear the little red car apart ( rear door plastics - B pillar plastics - seat belts and i am contemplating taking the 2 front seats out just to ease access )
I will be hanging the K2S main unit off the B pillar trim plastic just as i have the Innovv C3 camera now, this way it is within easy reach, and still fairly well hidden by the seat and all.

I'm not sure we ever really get done with our cams, but I'm closer now :rolleyes:

Primary front cam (K2S), side cams(B1W and G1W/s), and solo rear cam(G1W/HC) are now on one single switch. Ciggie plug PS times 2 for front test cams (B2W and N2 Pro) with a third piggy-back ciggie-plug PS for another test cam and phone charging (or GPS device). And I still have the factory lighter socket :cool:

Still considering the K2S for the rear sides as the cam modules would be perfect there, but I'd have to add another rear cam to replace it's current rear coverage.

Phil

Not related to Bugs but, news on what I prepared after I get my K2S and being able to test it.

A bit late but a definite bug has shown up here.

Background: My K2S is manually switched on as needed for driving only; no parking modes are set or used. The power supply system is robust and fully reliable. My SD card is a known and tested good 128GB Samsumg Evo Select set to fat32 specs. Another newer identical card works the same. Video settings are at default. This occurs in hot and cold weather, and occurs after both overnight parking and also short-term daytime parking when the cam is unpowered and shut down correctly. There is no direct cause or pattern to the problem that I can discover.

Problem:
Every 3 to 4 months the camera resets itself to default settings without any user input. I become aware of this when I begin hearing the 'overspeed' alert tone which I have switched off. I have a few other functions set to choices other than default settings but in checking things after noticing the tone I find all of the menu settings have reverted to default.

The cam still starts and records reliably, shuts dowm properly saving the last file, and the GPS always maintains the time and date, so I'm not left unprotected but it's a bit of a nuisance to have to reset things when you don't expect it.

Phil

The cam still starts and records reliably, shuts dowm properly saving the last file, and the GPS always maintains the time and date, so I'm not left unprotected but it's a bit of a nuisance to have to reset things when you don't expect it.
was it this model or one of their other ones where they had the same problem and they added a config file on the card to reset settings when this happened? I'm sure it has come up before on something they make

Not sure which one. Forgot to mention I'm on the latest official firmware.

Phil

Using the OBD gismo for power my camera still come on rather random, just like when i had my mobius in the rear with a far too long and cheap USB wire.
I am going to switch it to a normal power supply soon when i have to work with other new cameras anyway.
Also my friend is getting help by a company with the right heavy equipment to make the off road track for fast RC cars on his field, and level a large area for the G - scale railroad stuff, and toss all the surplus dirt in a big pile for the RC 4x4 trucks.
And he have a host of other projects he need help with, so soon i will have to pack up my sleeping back and go and stay with him for a few days to get started.
I also have my own projeckts i have to work on at his place as he is the guy with the tools for it, i also have to put new brake disks on my car, they was only legal by 0.1 mm when the car got inspected on Wednesday.

My only real disappointment with this cam is that to use it's parking mode you must use the OBD PS. Won't be a problem to almost anyone but me who drives a 29 year old machine which has a limited OBD-1 function through a proprietary connector under the hood... :rolleyes: Hey, 1991 was a pretty good year for me so why not keep it going? :LOL:

Not that I use parking modes anyway but I did want to test that. And it is a cam I intend to keep in permanent use because it does what I need it to do very well indeed (y)

Phil

There also is a regular hard wire kit for the K2S Phil.
It is a 13 USD price.

I wanted to view a file yesterday and discovered that my K2S has not always been recording on powering up. Several driving segments were missing and I couldn't see any pattern to this. Missing morning vids when the van is cool and evening vids when it's hot too. Until now this cam has been 100% reliable so I haven't bothered to watch it booting up each time I drive.

The 'head' unit is mounted over my sun visor, so at night I can see the screen light up the headliner, but daytime I can miss that unless I flip my visor down so TBH I can't be certain if the cam booted or not when the vids were missed. The 12V side is good, my side cam is on that line and it always boots/works. Might be a 5V PS issue though, each cam on that 12V line has it's own. Card is a 64GB Samsung EVO Select which was bought new with the cam so it's 17 months old, but as this cam is used only while driving I don't think it's worn out yet. I'll add anything more I find soon.

Phil

Back