Koonlung K1S Review

hardwired to stay on can be a lot different to driving and doing the same, the ambient temps in a parked car are a lot hotter than when you're driving, heat is the enemy of lipo batteries

yes they use a GoPro battery so you can buy a better quality battery, can't see the capacity being doubled in the same physical space though, guess they might be 2000 Chinese marketing mAh batteries you've seen

Thanks jokiin!! Now I understand, regarding the heat. Hmmm. My Canon DSLR has a dummy battery insert that connects to a hardwired source--I wonder if there's something similar for a 3.7v GoPro.

power magic pro is universal, works with other cameras that use cig plug power no problem

Hi. Can we use Power Magic Pro (PMP) and a device like the ANYWHERE T-Power Plus Alpha Mobile Power Station (MPS) serially to power the cam while parked yet also achieve a more complete battery discharge protection (e.g., if the car is sitting parked on the street for weeks even the MPS will eventually be drained and the camera will start getting power from the car's battery which will then start to get drained too) or is a PMP-like circuitry already built into MPS devices already?

It's usually not advisable to hard wire a battery based dashcam for continuous 24/7 operation.

Forgive me, if I ask what is perhaps a silly question as I am new around here, but in reference to your statement above, my question is, Why not?

Forgive me, if I ask what is perhaps a silly question as I am new around here, but in reference to your statement above, my question is, Why not?

It's the whole reason Super Capacitor dashcam products are recommended.
Caps can take the constant daily charge/discharge, won't balloon up and or leak in the summer like a battery can, won't fail after a few months of being punished.

Check out this:
https://dashcamtalk.com/kdlinks-x1/#Battery_Swells_Explodes

It's the whole reason Super Capacitor dashcam products are recommended.
Caps can take the constant daily charge/discharge, won't balloon up and or leak in the summer like a battery can, won't fail after a few months of being punished.

Check out this:
https://dashcamtalk.com/kdlinks-x1/#Battery_Swells_Explodes

I looked at the link and am convinced batteries can explode, however, I am not electrically oriented and don't fully understand capacitors. Last I knew, a power source (like from a battery) has to exist somewhere to power the dash cam. In the case of a capacitor-based dash cam, where is the (5v) power source coming from?

Capacitor is only there to keep the last file from being corrupted should you Catastrophically lose power in an accident.

5V comes from 12v/5v cigareet lighter power adapter or 12v/5v hard wire kit from the fuse panel.

Capacitor is only there to keep the last file from being corrupted should you Catastrophically lose power in an accident.

5V comes from 12v/5v cigareet lighter power adapter or 12v/5v hard wire kit from the fuse panel.

Then I would be trading off the the extra 30 min (approx) battery-based recording power post engine shutoff in exchange for the security of not ending up with a burst battery. Is that all???
Whether that is the case or not, it seems you are saying dash cams don't have an overcharge protection circuitry that other electronics have (i.e., cell phones). I would had thought this to be the exception rather than the rule...

Then I would be trading off the the extra 30 min (approx) battery-based recording power post engine shutoff in exchange for the security of not ending up with a burst battery. Is that all???
Whether that is the case or not, it seems you are saying dash cams don't have an overcharge protection circuitry that other electronics have (i.e., cell phones). I would had thought this to be the exception rather than the rule...

In your case, where you want your capacitor based dashcam to record for some period after engine is turned off, there is a solution of adding a timer based BDP ( battery discharge prevention ) device. You can select turning off by voltage value or by time value. Check PANOBDP.

In your case, where you want your capacitor based dashcam to record for some period after engine is turned off, there is a solution of adding a timer based BDP ( battery discharge prevention ) device. You can select turning off by voltage value or by time value. Check PANOBDP.

My heart was already set on the Lukas LK-290 based on DCT's comment that "The Lukas LK-290 is the best battery discharge prevention device out of the bunch" found HERE.
How is the PANOBDP a better choice?

actually I think the best battery discharge device is the Vico, it's expensive but it's a high quality product, you only get what you pay for

My heart was already set on the Lukas LK-290 based on DCT's comment that "The Lukas LK-290 is the best battery discharge prevention device out of the bunch" found HERE.
How is the PANOBDP a better choice?

It was just one of my recommendation to point you to the BDP device to show what it is and what for it is used. Of course there are many other brands / models of BDP out there to chose from.
Being "the best" is relative thing. It's all depends on your personal needs and budget.
Lukas has more options over most other BDP devices ( like temperature cut-off ), but you also pay much more for some extra features. Of course for the region with high heat this is good feature. If money is not an option, then of course I will recommend Lukas. They do have a good reputation.

It was just one of my recommendation to point you to the BDP device to show what it is and what for it is used. Of course there are many other brands / models of BDP out there to chose from.
Being "the best" is relative thing. It's all depends on your personal needs and budget.
Lukas has more options over most other BDP devices ( like temperature cut-off ), but you also pay much more for some extra features. Of course for the region with high heat this is good feature. If money is not an option, then of course I will recommend Lukas. They do have a good reputation.

Edit: I was referring to NEW Lukas BDP with LCD display and temperature cut-off option ( not LK-290 )

@jokiin and @Ukraine Visitor , my bad, I was thinking all this time referring to Vicovation Power Plus, which has temperature cut-off, but my hands were typing Lukas ( which is also a good brand ), but still. More correct @"temperature cut-off" is Vico Power Plus. It's about 2am here, and my mind has lack of "RAM". Should go to sleep now :)

We'll have the Vicovation Power-Plus + hard wire kit in stock and available next week via Pier28 direct and on Amazon.com (Pier28 will be the exclusive resller in North America soon)

It's the mercedes of BDP products for sure.

Here's an unlisted detailed product full demo video I was waiting to create a thread about this in a few days but since it was brought up here it is. :)

Last edited:
Hi. at 1:09 of the video you state you will have the add-a-circuit available. These add-a-circuit come in at least 3 sizes (AUTO, Mini and Micro (this last one I believe is sometimes called "Low profile"). Will you be carrying all three configurations? Thanks

Hi. at 1:09 of the video you state you will have the add-a-fuse available. These add-a-fuse come in at least 3 sizes (AUTO, Mini and Micro (this last one I believe is sometimes called "Low profile"). Will you be carrying all three configurations? Thanks

That's correct, we have these available now >here<
The Vico-Power PLUS stock is on the way, and Scheduled Delivery: Tuesday, 03/22/2016, By End of Day

I'll be posting a new dedicated thread about this as soon as stock has been received and I do a QA check. I when them to be in stock ready to go before I create a post

Back